Can anyone recommend to me a breathable, brightly coloured & reflective waterproof jacket?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ratherbeintobago

Re: Can anyone recommend to me a breathable, brightly coloured & reflective waterproof jacket?

Post by ratherbeintobago »

PJ520 wrote:Do you get Showers Pass brand in the UK? I've got one that's very good and has pit zips plus a high collar that keeps out the worst but not cheap. Hmm... seems you do https://showerspass.co.uk/

Yes, but it’s spendy.

On a total aside, I’ve heard very good things about Gore Shakedry, for on-road use at least, but a fabric the colour of tarmac which is apparently impossible to overprint doesn’t fill me with joy.
dim

Re: Can anyone recommend to me a breathable, brightly coloured & reflective waterproof jacket?

Post by dim »

GORE WEAR C3 Gore-Tex Active Jacket Men neon yellow (2020) .... £159.99

https://www.bikester.co.uk/gore-wear-c3-gore-tex-jacket-men-yellow-805184.html

Sweep

Post by Sweep »

ratherbeintobago wrote:Old tech, that (or at least, not Shakedry)

I'm waiting for the trickledown on this.

Will surely get cheaper.

And maybe tougher.
Sweep
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Sweep wrote:
ratherbeintobago wrote:Old tech, that (or at least, not Shakedry)

I'm waiting for the trickledown on this.

Will surely get cheaper.

And maybe tougher.

It’s the ‘tougher’ I’m waiting for; I’d read somewhere that they’ve got some new tech that avoids the tarmac-colour issue too.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

PJ520 wrote:Do you get Showers Pass brand in the UK? I've got one that's very good and has pit zips plus a high collar that keeps out the worst but not cheap. Hmm... seems you do https://showerspass.co.uk/

I use the SP Skyline virtually every day in the colder months and even as a casual jacket, it's not the most breathable or waterproof compared to the really high end stuff but I find it's more than enough even in fairly substantial rain for shorter periods. The fit is fantastic, the neck area is snug, two large rear pockets plus zipped breast pocket.

Three years I've been using it and the reason they sold them off cheap a few years back was due to the reflective material wearing off the arms, to me that was a bonus as I was never one to worry about such things. They did do them in red as well, the Elite 2.1 Showerspass https://showerspass.co.uk/products/mens ... 6601557967 is higher up the chain and had fantastic reviews for its weatherproofing you can get 10% off signing up to their newsletter off first order, from my use I couldn't praise the SP garment enough.

I've seen these on ebay at less than half price that fits the bright/reflective waterproof/breathable https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHOWERS-PASS ... Sw6NVeKYhs
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I’ve got the Gore C3 posted by Dim. It works great in terms of waterproof and not causing excessive sweating. I just wish it had side pockets. Ok not aero for the racing crew but very useful!
BlueRider

Post by BlueRider »

I got one from Aldi last time they were in.

I would have no problem recommending it tbh. The side vents and rear pockets are handy and the elasticated velcro cuffs are good for keeping the cold out. I don't seem to sweat in it as much as i did my old non-breathable jacket.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

BlueRider wrote:I got one from Aldi last time they were in.

I would have no problem recommending it tbh. The side vents and rear pockets are handy and the elasticated velcro cuffs are good for keeping the cold out. I don't seem to sweat in it as much as i did my old non-breathable jacket.

I'd never get velcro cuffs ever again, either none or zipped as per my showers pass, from experience there's no comparison in terms of function and ease of use with a good zip up the lower end of the sleeve.
dim

Post by dim »

I have one of these Berghaus Gortex jackets (given to me as a gift):... costs close to £300 .... I have not worn it yet and will keep it for special rides/tours

PH

Post by PH »

dim wrote:I have one of these Berghaus Gortex jackets (given to me as a gift):... costs close to £300 .... I have not worn it yet and will keep it for special rides/tours

Great gift! It’s a pity Berghaus stopped making cycling jackets, I had a Paclite one that lasted a decade of frequent use. I’ve used non cycling jackets, although they’re fine, they’re not as good as those designed for the purpose.
PH

Post by PH »

The utility cyclist wrote:I'd never get velcro cuffs ever again, either none or zipped as per my showers pass, from experience there's no comparison in terms of function and ease of use with a good zip up the lower end of the sleeve.

Personal preference of course, but the Velcro cuffs on my Showers Pass are an important part of the venting system. They also allow the cuff to fit snugly over the top of any thickness of glove.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

The only trouble I've had with velcro cuffs is when they catch on woolly jumpers and ruin them.