First headset

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tempsperdu

First headset

Post by tempsperdu »

Never ordered a headset before as previous frames always came with them.
Does a complete headset kit from Cane Creek come with the scuff washer and thrust plate?
Last headset was CK and all these items came with it but don't see them mentioned on CC website?
Brucey

Re: First headset

Post by Brucey »

there are lots of different types of headset and they all come with different parts, varying by fitment/ design and manufacturer. If you don't know exactly what type of headset you are dealing with, it is very easy to come unstuck.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
slowster

Post by slowster »

You don't say which Cane Creek headset you are buying, and I imagine there might be significant design differences between them. Comparing a Cane Creek 40 headset with Chris King, I would make the following comments:

1. I think the scuff washer is a feature particular to Chris King Headsets, and may only be provided because the headsets are so expensive that customers will not want to see scratches on the top cover from the stem or spacer positioned above it (even though any such scratches are unlikely to be visible with the stem fitted). The Cane Creek 40 top cover comprises four separate parts (including a seal), and it seems like the uppermost part in contact with the base of the stem can rotate on the seal and the other parts of the top cover, i.e. in addition to the rotation of the cartridge bearing installed in the top cup.

2. I don't know what you mean by thrust plate. Both headsets have baseplates* which press onto the fork crown, the main difference being that the Cane Creek baseplate incorporates a seal around the edge. There is a risk of damaging the seal when fitting the baseplate using standard crown race setting tools, and Cane Creek sell installation tools which are designed to ensure the force from a setting tool is transmitted only to the inner metal surface of the baseplate.

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Cane-Creek/Crown-Race-Setter-p44080/

https://www.canecreek.com/service-videos/

* I think that is a more correct term, since these headsets use cartridge bearings, and consequently the baseplates do not have a race on their upper surface like the crown race of a loose or retainer ball bearing headset.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

tempsperdu wrote:Never ordered a headset before as previous frames always came with them.
Does a complete headset kit from Cane Creek come with the scuff washer and thrust plate?
Last headset was CK and all these items came with it but don't see them mentioned on CC website?

Why not go back to the bike shop that you bought the frame from, and ask for their advice.
Brucey speaks wisdom.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

tempsperdu wrote:Never ordered a headset before as previous frames always came with them.

You're a bit vague really, but assuming that you get a headset correct for your frame and fork it will come with all of the necessary parts unless otherwise stated. If you're fitting a threadless headset you may well also need some steerer spacers which don't come with a headset.