Plastic discoloured by chain oil

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
freiston

Plastic discoloured by chain oil

Post by freiston »

A few week ago I put some Fenwicks All Condition synthetic chain lube into an empty eye drop bottle for taking on tour. The lube is red in colour (the label says "A specific blend of synthetic ingredients with additives to dramatically reduce corrosion, repel water and prolong component life") and now the white plastic eye-drop bottle has turned a lovely shade of pink. The bottle feels completely dry and non-oily/greasy. My uneducated instinct is that there is nothing to worry about but I thought it interesting enough to make the post and ask if anyone thinks there is any cause for concern, either with the container or the product (or something else).
Attachments
P1010715.JPG
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Brucey

Re: Plastic discoloured by chain oil

Post by Brucey »

what kind of plastic is the container made of? It should have a symbol on the base which indicates this for recycling purposes.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freiston

Post by freiston »

Unfortunately, there is no recycling symbol/number - just a number which is different on each of the three (otherwise identical) bottles that I have. The plastic does feel very similar to a plastic bidon that I have - "4 - LDPE" (Low Density Polyethylene).

EDIT: The bottle the oil originally came in is PET.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

PET is very resistant to all kinds of chemicals, and LDPE isn't, so I can quite believe the small container is LDPE. For example I've had LDPE bidons become permanently stained by all kinds of things; e.g. certain types of mould produce a coloured chemical that can stain such bottles permanently.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freiston

Post by freiston »

Thanks Brucey :)