...how to stop decals peeling off

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Vantage

...how to stop decals peeling off

Post by Vantage »

The lettering on my Wayfarer is showing signs of starting to peel off. I had the same issue on my Spa Touring.
The cause being that each letter is a stand alone decal and not grouped together on one big decal like on 'mainstream' bikes.
I've tried that frame saver clear helicopter tape type stuff and that left air bubbles around each letter despite my best efforts.
Is there anything I could spray onto them that would leave a sort of film on the edges to prevent them lifting?
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
PH

Re: ...how to stop peeling

Post by PH »

Re air bubbles in helicopter tape - some protection tape can be applied wet and is easier to avoid this. Alternatively make a stencil and paint it on, then lacquer over the top. I have doubts that lacquer over vinyl will hold it.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

From the H H LLoyd website https://h-lloyd-cycles.myshopify.com/pages/faqs

Nearly all decals need to be lacquered over to protect them from abrasion and/or solvent attack. Professional painters used to cycle painting will usually apply decals for you and over-lacquer as part of the painting process. If they seem unsure you may be better looking elsewhere!

If you are "doing-it-yourself" you will still need to provide a lacquer layer as the final process after decal application. I get MANY requests as to what might be the best product for this. I usually suggest either Humbrol spray polyeurethane (from model shops) or Plasticote spray varnish (B&Q or hardware store). A new product (to me) is two-pack in a can (!) which a number of my customers have given good feedback on. You can get this on ebay, or direct from the manufacturer, www.nu-agane.com.uk
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Q. Will Spa supply new transfers?

If so, I might just renew them when they get tatty.

Anyone used two-pack in an aerosol can? I am slightly put off by the fact that the shelf life of the can (once the parts are mixed) is not long. It'd be OK if you were using a whole can at once, e.g. on a whole bike frame though...?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Brucey wrote:Q. Will Spa supply new transfers?

I'm sure they would but I doubt I'd get them on straight.
Been there done that :?

I'm liking PH's idea for painting on with a stencil. Who to make the stencil though?

I tried lacquer on the Touring but it didn't come out very well. My painting skills leave much to be desired.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Vantage wrote:

I'm liking PH's idea for painting on with a stencil. Who to make the stencil though?

I tried lacquer on the Touring but it didn't come out very well. My painting skills leave much to be desired.

use a spray can lacquer? Lidl sold some a time ago and I got one havent used it yet though.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Vantage wrote:
I doubt I'd get them on straight.....

…..I'm liking PH's idea for painting on with a stencil.....

…. My painting skills leave much to be desired.

slightly confused by this; IME using a stencil is more difficult than applying stickers, and the result is if anything more easily damaged by scratching.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:
Vantage wrote:

use a spray can lacquer? Lidl sold some a time ago and I got one havent used it yet though.

I've used their lacquer on a few frame transfers. Holding up well - even after six years.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Brucey wrote:
Vantage wrote:
I doubt I'd get them on straight.....

…..I'm liking PH's idea for painting on with a stencil.....

…. My painting skills leave much to be desired.

slightly confused by this; IME using a stencil is more difficult than applying stickers, and the result is if anything more easily damaged by scratching.

cheers

Ah...yes. That's a very good point about getting it straight. I must admit, that by some mystical force that particular step escaped my thinking. I blame the sun. I was out on the bike with the mutt when I posted. :oops:
Bill

PH

Post by PH »

Another idea- I recall the original Sabbath tI frames had the lettering printed on a sheet, so you effectively got a contrasting band with the name on it. Far less edging to peel, and imo looked smart, I see a well used one on an audax from time to time, still looks ok though I haven’t looked too closely. Plenty of places print to vinyl.
As for getting the letters straight if you go for a replacement, I’ve done a couple of vans and it’s done for you on a sheet, applied in one.
Previous idea of stencilling - you can buy the paper and make your own with a craft knife , or I’m sure there’s places will do it for you. Caveat- I’ve never stencilled a tube, but have done plenty of flat surfaces, usually pvc, without problem.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Don't laser printing companies do stickers From a print or photo?
I hand cut some many years ago, I used fablon, No bubbles or peeling, been on the camper for over 15 years :) No bubbles or peeling.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I removed the decals on my Spa Titanium Audax frame as soon as I got it because I knew they wouldn't last, but it did occur to me that by masking a shape around the decal then applying an artily applied spray paint I might have then removed the letters which would have masked their own shapes and left the decal as a negative, unpainted surface. On brushed titanium that might make a reasonably durable finish but on a shiny surface it might not have a key.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Peel them off completely? They're only logos which may or may not impress your mates or thieves? :lol:
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

They look too nice for that sort of vandalism :P
Bill

AndyA

Re: ...how to stop decals peeling off

Post by AndyA »

The best way to get decals on straight is to stick a length of masking tape where you want the bottom of your decal to be. Take a step back, check it's straight, check it's the same height both sides, mark where you want the decal to start and stop with more masking tape. Place decal, rub well to remove bubbles, remove transfer and masking tapes. If there are underhanging bits, like a lower case "f" remove the masking tape before rubbing.

Some people mist the decal back with soapy water as then you can slide the decal if you get it squint.

Lacquer is a bit of a tricky one, it's very hard to get a perfect finish with an invisible transition if you're just doing the area where the decals are. I'd only do it if you could live with a visible area of matt/textured lacquer at the edge of the bit you've sprayed. Laminated decals do exist and would mean you don't have to lacquer over