New location help

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
peetee

New location help

Post by peetee »

Is there anywhere on this site that can help people moving to a new part of the country to find cycling-related/friendly venues such as cafes, off-road centres etc?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
djnotts

Re: New location help

Post by djnotts »

No idea if other "CTC" Districts have similar, but Notts has a website that includes a cafe list - and a Rides List that will enable you to sample some of them in company and by varying routes. Worth googling on ("place/area name") CTC/Cycling UK?
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

We do have a tea shop list in the tea shop.
Look at CTC websites for their runs' lists, these will have cafe stops listed?
Ask at bike shops?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
slowster

Post by slowster »

peetee wrote:Is there anywhere on this site that can help people moving to a new part of the country to find cycling-related/friendly venues such as cafes, off-road centres etc?

Why do you need to find cycling friendly cafes in a new area? I can understand clubs needing to identify such cafes because some cafes will not want a large numbers of cyclists (or any other particular large group of irregular customers) descending on them all together, especially without any advance notice, e.g. the extra custom might not offset the disruption and the possibility of valued regular customers not being able to get a seat. Whereas for an individual or a few mates all that matters is whether there is somewhere that bikes can be parked securely, i.e. locked and/or within sight. Other than that, what matters is whether the food and drink served is good and reasonably priced. If it's a choice between a cafe that is 'cycling-related' and one that serves better coffee and cake, I'll take the latter every time.

Similarly I think you should be able to locate any 'off-road centres' very easily and quickly yourself using Google: there are not that many commercial trail centres in the UK, and they are not shy about making their whereabouts known online. If instead you mean places where there are 'unofficial' MTB trails on private or Forestry Commission land or which use sections of public footpath, they are not going to be publicised on the internet for obvious reasons. Equally, if you mean good cross country routes using bridleways etc., then probably the best things to do are ask on a forum like this one for suggestions of routes in the specific area and/or get the map out and just go exploring.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Grandad, that's quite a bit different to when I lived there. Alas, I am at the other end of the country now.

Slowster, the reason I ask is that I was hoping for the sort of impartial, holistic site that Grandad referred me to. There are two shops local to me. One was clearly run by anti-social cyclists and the other has a cafe of its own. Furthermore, I managed to happen upon a local club pausing to re-group at a junction. When I did a U-turn, said hello and asked who the group leader was one guy said " Me, I suppose" and rode off!
slowster

Post by slowster »

peetee wrote:I managed to happen upon a local club pausing to re-group at a junction. When I did a U-turn, said hello and asked who the group leader was one guy said " Me, I suppose" and rode off!

Look at it from the positive side - your encounter was probably a very good indication that that club isn't one you would want to belong to. You could have wasted a lot of time and effort contacting that club and going out with them on some rides before you realised that.

I presume you've looked at http://www.cafenetwork.info? I would also suggest you change the title of this thread to indicate what area you are asking about, since that will probably generate more responses.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Fair point, but I deliberately didn't mention a specific area in case the responses provided a broader link that could be useful to people living elsewhere.
For the record it's south west Cornwall.