rip off local cycle shop?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mercalia

rip off local cycle shop?

Post by mercalia »

I wanted to buy a spare brake cable so popped into a local cycle shop in Streatham High Road opposite M&S. He takes a look at my bike outside "£6.99 Shimano cable for you guv". Thats a bit much? I said " Well thats the RRP he said". No thanks said I & walked out. So I look at Halfords website, £3.49. Is there a "special " cable for my Shimano RSX STI brake levers? or will this one do just as well?

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-p ... -mm-single

Thats me ending "supporting" local cycle shops
PH

Re: rip off local cycle shop?

Post by PH »

mercalia wrote:Is there a "special " cable for my Shimano RSX STI brake levers? or will this one do just as well?

I expect that's a question you could have got an answer to at the LBS and maybe not in Halfords.
Spend your money where and how you like, but an understanding of why different businesses have to charge different prices and why no one is trying to rip you off wouldn't be a bad thing.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I remember having a "chat" with a rep

I had ordered some cleats form the LBS, and they did not turn up, and as it just so happened the rep was there, who explained that bulk orders for the bigger chains took precedent over the LBS, so if I wanted them urgently should go to Halfords. There is also the issue that buying half a dozen is going to get no discount, whereas Halfords will get a considerable one.

It is two different worlds.

Finally, an LBS will know what they are doing rather than a 17-year-old with minimal experience on a minimum wage.

Yes the LBS can be more expensive, but there is a value and an experience that Halfords et al will never reproduce
Last edited by Cunobelin on 22 Sep 2019, 2:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

PH wrote:
mercalia wrote:Is there a "special " cable for my Shimano RSX STI brake levers? or will this one do just as well?

I expect that's a question you could have got an answer to at the LBS and maybe not in Halfords.
Spend your money where and how you like, but an understanding of why different businesses have to charge different prices and why no one is trying to rip you off wouldn't be a bad thing.

well according to the Halfords website the RRP was £3.99 not £6.99. as faras I can see it was the same item. There is a big difference between £3.99 and £6.99? Do Halfords get a 55% discount?
PH

Post by PH »

mercalia wrote:well according to the Halfords website the RRP was £3.99 not £6.99.

Well I wouldn't pay too much attention to anything Halfords say.
Ribble say the RRP is £5.99
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shimano- ... re-2050mm/
It doesn't make any difference, make your choice, pay your money. I don't often use a LBS, more likely to use Halfords, for the price and convenience. There's a difference between that and considering the LBS a rip off.
Do Halfords get a 55% discount?

I would expect Halfords lower costs, including stock, to be in that region.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Seems a shame you’ve a lbs and that’s the example of relationship you have with him.
With my lbs the patter would have been
They’re £6.99
me: bl***y hell Gordon How much are they gold plated?
G: best you can get
me: A fiver?
G: How about £6 ?
Sale made, good relationship still intact, lbs supported and still there for when that free bit of knowledge is needed.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

All motorists are out to kill us. Every LBS is out to rip us off. All Audi drivers are maniacs. All ebike riders are lazy fools.

Yep. The way of the world.
John
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Lucky it was as a spare.

If you had been riding and it failed, that LBS being there , being open and having the cable you wanted would have been a godsend.

PS my LBS gives me a 10% discount as a Cycle UK member on all parts.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Oldjohnw wrote:All motorists are out to kill us.

At night on our country lanes I tell myself that and I reckon it's quite useful to believe it - I deal with each car as it comes (none on my last trip as it happens!).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

simonhill wrote:Lucky it was as a spare.

If you had been riding and it failed, that LBS being there , being open and having the cable you wanted would have been a godsend.

that would then have been blackmail or extortion.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Oldjohnw wrote:All motorists are out to kill us.

Hey, I'm sure some are ok
Last edited by gbnz on 22 Sep 2019, 3:30pm, edited 2 times in total.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I had to have my wife’s gear cable replaced whilst in Majorca. Cost 25 Euros. That really was a rip off. Even at £5 for a cable, I would expect no more that the same for fitting, possibly £10 but not £20!

The guy saw the look of shock on my face and gave me 2 free water bottles to soften the blow a bit.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
PH

Post by PH »

simonhill wrote:If you had been riding and it failed, that LBS being there , being open and having the cable you wanted would have been a godsend.

Any shop being open would have been a godsend, but in most towns that's far more likely to be a Halfords than an independent*. And Halfords also give CUK members a 10% discount, though you have to jump through hoops to get it.
I'll sometimes pay an extra £3 for something simply when it's more convenient, rejecting something in one shop to go to another is likely to take more than £3's worth of my time, though next time round I might go to the other first.

*Yes I know some of you will have examples of where that's not the case.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote:All motorists are out to kill us. Every LBS is out to rip us off. All Audi drivers are maniacs. All ebike riders are lazy fools.

Yep. The way of the world.

:wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Rod Goodfellow

Post by Rod Goodfellow »

I had to have my wife’s gear cable replaced whilst in Majorca. Cost 25 Euros.

Sounds a bargain,what gear can you get her into now? :roll: :roll: :roll: