Giving way to pedestrian and having to break suddenly?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
chomango

Giving way to pedestrian and having to break suddenly?

Post by chomango »

So had a small incident today - I think the sooner I get some front and back cameras on my bicycle the better.

Leaving a Supermarket, there is a little roundabout then a small strip of road leading to the main road, All of this road is on the premesis of the supermarket.

I negotiate the mini roudabout thing and then cycle on the smaller road, there are lots of markings on the road around the roundabout and at various points similar to zebra crossings, these would be described as a larger pedestrian crossing points with wider and more obvious dropped curbs.

Anyway on this tiny stretch of road leading to the main road there is a small island in the middle of 2 way traffic -

Pedestrian runs across the first and I start to break, I stagger this not slamming on the breaks or anything like that but come to a gentle stop and she crosses - The car behind me then Beeps a long horn - I look back and the pedestrian shouts at the car driver saying 'he was letting me cross' -

This was all fairly low speed 10-15 mph stufff.

I'm wondering what I did wrong here, it was a tough judgement call, I didn't know one way or the other if the pedestrian was going to continue crossing or not as they seemed to be running/jogging and I didn't want to collide with them.

I was in Prime position in the middle of the lane as I was about to gravitate to the right to turn right at the major road.
fastpedaller

Re: Giving way to pedestrian and having to break suddenly?

Post by fastpedaller »

You did nothing wrong!
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Maybe the car driver was hooting at the pedestrian not you
Richard M
Cardiff
mjr

Post by mjr »

Nothing wrong except misspell brake ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
horizon

Post by horizon »

mjr wrote:Nothing wrong except misspell brake ;)

As a cycling forum I think we should still try at least to keep brakes as brakes and pedals as pedals, especially in the thread titles.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Give him a brake! :D He needed it.
Surely this is just normal riding /driving? You need to be aware of whats around you. Both you an the following driver were.
Audax67

Re: Giving way to pedestrian and having to break wind suddenly?

Post by Audax67 »

FTFY :D
Have we got time for another cuppa?
pwa

Post by pwa »

Whenever you have some disagreement out cycling you will go home and think about it and analyse who did what and work out whether you could have done anything better. It doesn't sound from your description that you did anything wrong. If I had to be really picky I would suggest that sometimes it can be dangerous for the pedestrian if you stop to let them cross because, for example, a motorcyclist behind might not understand what is going on and might try to dart past. That is my only concern with what you did, which otherwise was an act of kindness and worthy of praise. So shake off the criticism implied by the bad tempered driver and carry on being nice.
hemo

Post by hemo »

It's a typical reaction of a moton, not only a bike in front impeding him but one actually giving way to another hate figure of a moton a pedestrian daring to use a crossing.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

As a driver it seems to me that the motorist was failing on am elementary driving requirement: look ahead, anticipate and react appropriately. That does not include horns sounding.
John
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

Typical car idiot, I'm afraid. Absolute zero patience. And so many drivers think that everybody else on the road is only there to cause them inconvenience.

I've said for years that part of the driving test should include mandatory (where possible) time on a bike/motorbike. Riding a bike and experiencing that vulnerability gives you a great new-found respect for others.

I don't see that you did anything wrong.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Nowt wrong, either legally or from a consideration point of view (plus marks in that respect). Chust ignore it (if you read Hamish Macbeth you'll recognise the Chust!).

Whether I'm driving or riding,if the driver behind gets a bit impatient I just ignore it (easier to do this in the car of course, 'cos I'm not as vulnerable to harm though just as vulnerable to obscenities when I've go the roof off!)

Nothing to lose sleep about. Apart from the difference between a brake, and a break of course!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I break using my peddles :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Using a fixy then ...
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

adaws22 wrote:So had a small incident today - I think the sooner I get some front and back cameras on my bicycle the better.

Leaving a Supermarket, there is a little roundabout then a small strip of road leading to the main road, All of this road is on the premesis of the supermarket.

I negotiate the mini roudabout thing and then cycle on the smaller road, there are lots of markings on the road around the roundabout and at various points similar to zebra crossings, these would be described as a larger pedestrian crossing points with wider and more obvious dropped curbs.

Anyway on this tiny stretch of road leading to the main road there is a small island in the middle of 2 way traffic -

Pedestrian runs across the first and I start to break, I stagger this not slamming on the breaks or anything like that but come to a gentle stop and she crosses - The car behind me then Beeps a long horn - I look back and the pedestrian shouts at the car driver saying 'he was letting me cross' -

This was all fairly low speed 10-15 mph stufff.

I'm wondering what I did wrong here, it was a tough judgement call, I didn't know one way or the other if the pedestrian was going to continue crossing or not as they seemed to be running/jogging and I didn't want to collide with them.

I was in Prime position in the middle of the lane as I was about to gravitate to the right to turn right at the major road.

You did nothing wrong - assuming that my understanding and interpretation of your account are accurate.
The guy is a motorist and you are a cyclist and the person crossing is a pedestrian.
There are some motorists who can't cope with or understand human beings and they cannot tolerate either cyclists or pedestrians.
The motorist's behaviour was fairly common, and says nothing about either you or the lady, but everything about himself.
Try not to worry about it.