Cars using horn whilest they are stationary and you are cycling past.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
philvantwo

Re: Cars using horn whilest they are stationary and you are cycling past.

Post by philvantwo »

Calm down dear!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"I can't see how trying to create a safer world for cyclists by pointing out motoring offences (And antisocial public offences) in a peaceful and non-violent way is anything but a good thing"

Hope you are carrying!
Smudgerii

Post by Smudgerii »

adaws22 wrote:@Smudgerii

How can I be incorrect

Stopped reading at this point.... to quote you “it’s illegal on a Sunday” that is the incorrect assertion ( note the spelling correction, just saying )

Plod would probably wet themselves laughing if you sent them a video of you spouting such drivel...
Smudgerii

Post by Smudgerii »

I wonder....

Leave or Remain?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Motorists very often break the law or ignore the Highway Code in many ways which are inconvenient or even dangerous to others. If this hooting is the worst you encounter you are uncommonly lucky.
If you think that video evidence of bad behaviour by drivers will result in prompt and appropriate action by the police, you can have never tried to prod them into action. There are many threads in this forum which relate instances of dangerous behaviour by drivers recorded on camera and submitted to the police which are ignored.
I advise you to save your efforts for worse behaviour than hooting, like "moving traffic offences" which risk collision. You may still run out of energy before achieving anything.
Even "get out of my way" hooting is not behaviour which would stir the police into action.
And after all, a stationary car is almost certainly not a danger, just as long as you keep out of range of the doors!
Last edited by Mike Sales on 29 Sep 2019, 9:59pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"If this hooting is the worst you encounter you are uncommonly lucky."

Just so. Deliberately forced into kerb and a sudden stop by a van last week at a "refuge" accompanied by the usual finger and [expletive deleted] from passenger. Even had I evidence I wouldn't have gone to the Notts Constabulary - probably hit me with a wasting police time charge. They look on unconcerned as cars simply ignore Keep Left signs at busy crossing points. If it's not murder or terrorism or drugs, best not to bother them!
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

There’s a danger of the “boy who cried wolf” here. If we complain about stuff like this, then people won’t listen when we really have something to complain about.

It may be illegal, but the 4 year old is below the age of criminal responsibility anyway.

Save your bullets for when you’ve really got something to shoot at.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
ossie

Post by ossie »

adaws22 wrote:a 4 year old child is at the wheel 'playing with the horn' - .

Its just that, a kid playing with a car horn.

In more news today someone was seen walking on the cracks in the pavement.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

mattsccm wrote:Legalities aside, it's a kid playing with the horn. Where the the issue with that? I assume its not all night. Non event.

= What he said ...
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

adaws22 wrote:
mattsccm wrote:Legalities aside, it's a kid playing with the horn. Where the the issue with that? I assume its not all night. Non event.

Yeah because a toddler playing with a car horn on a 4x4 is perfectly normal.

Those horns are loud especially when pressed all the way down.

I'm not one to comment of other peoples parenting styles but surely this is a big no-no, Do you let you're small children 'play' with you're car horn whilst you are in and out of the house?

Has been known, yes.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The OP is right to be concerned
What if the key was in the ignition? The child might have started the engine, anything could have happened. The parent is guilty of a serious offence, leaving a child in charge of a vehicle

Encountered several curious toddlers when cycling, greeted them with my bell, they were enchanted :wink:
Remember the story of the boy who called 'Wolf, Wolf!'?
He had fun blowing his horn, people came to ignore and accept it
When the house caught fire he blew the horn, nobody bothered calling the firefighters
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 30 Sep 2019, 8:02am, edited 2 times in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Paulatic wrote:I’m grateful you've not got waterproof caps for your camera :)
Who in the world would want to view that utter piece of nonsense? Leave it for the neighbours to sort if it’s bothering them.

Maybe the neighbours are afraid to talk to the driver if he is big and tough like his vehicle :?

When the cops check people committing minor offences they often find other crimes, lack of insurance etc
There are plenty of circumstances where breaking the law might be justified, this is not one of them
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 30 Sep 2019, 8:00am, edited 1 time in total.
robing

Post by robing »

adaws22 wrote:

Those horns are loud especially when pressed all the way down.

That's a new one on me. So if you press the horn lightly is it only half the volume? :D
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

So now we find it's a thug of a driver who doesn't tax or insure his car :D :D :)

Quite apart from a child who should get a lengthy prison sentence otherwise he will go on a one boy crime spree in a couple of years. And the government tells us inflation is a thing of the past

And if I may add: he built his house (and it must be a 'he') without planning permission. Quite apart from never declaring his untaxed income.
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oldjohnw wrote:So now we find it's a thug of a driver who doesn't tax or insure his car :D :D :)

Quite apart from a child who should get a lengthy prison sentence otherwise he will go on a one boy crime spree in a couple of years. And the government tells us inflation is a thing of the past

And if I may add: he built his house (and it must be a 'he') without planning permission. Quite apart from never declaring his untaxed income.

Is that supposed to be humour, or what?

There have indeed been cases where the child started the vehicle and tried to drive it, with disastrous consequences

Nothing to laugh about