Help for a Geordie girl.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
KM2

Help for a Geordie girl.

Post by KM2 »

A friend would like to cycle from Morpeth to New Biggin, by the sea, along the River Wansbeck. Is there a route down to the Wansbeck, as close to Morpeth as possible??
Thanks
st599_uk

Re: Help for a Geordie girl.

Post by st599_uk »

I think it's mainly a footpath.

There are some quiet roads that would get you to EuroVelo 12.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

It looks like you can follow the north bank from the A1068 bridge at Guide Post to Sandy Bay holiday park, by the river mouth, but getting there isn't obvious. It's either footpath or nothing between Morpeth and Guide Post.

The "recommended" cycle route from Morpeth to Newbiggin basically follows the A197, mostly on a separate cycle track (rather than painted lane). It's a getting there safely route, rather than an enjoyable route.
see https://cycle.travel/map
(click start, click end, and it will give you a route)
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

Not an exact answer but some local help will be available.
Our Ponteland group, meet Tuesdays-2 or 3 rides, at Merton Hall, Ponteland-tea, coffee biscuit for 30p, at 10am for
ride to leave (in theory) at 10.30.
Runs leader from Bedlington Station and member from Blyth usually there so will guide you with this.

Myself I'm a MAKEM with scant knowledge of SE Northumberland so can't provide safe, accurate, reliable help!!

You might meet up with our two lady riders from Morpeth or forward your details via our good secretary Lawrence
to get them to contact you.

In recent years we have tried, unsuccessfully, to recruit/invite CTC members from beyond immediate Tyneside to
join us on our rides.

This year we have had two rides starting from Morpeth Golf club; they are happy to have us for t /coffee before and
even "a drop of the stuff" afterwards.

In 2020 we shall, probably on first Tuesday of March, have ride starting from Morpeth Golf Club to Cresswell ponds
to view winter visitors.
You'd be very welcome.
Mike McGeever
KM2

Post by KM2 »

Thanks for the replies
The Morpeth golf club meet looks a possibility, so she will aim for that.
She has met a couple from the Loansdean area of Morpeth a couple of times, they frequent the same coffee places.I
Thanks again.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

I realize the question may have been answered, but is there a particular reason why she wishes to head over to Newbiggin?

Have to admit if I was in the Morpeth area I'd either head west or north, the south and east largely being post industrial in nature. Landscape in the area isn't the most scenic, but does get better the further west or north one heads (NB. Even the former open casts north of Morpeth are quite pleasant, having been subject to extensive land forming and so on. And the roads have a fraction of the traffic levels!
KM2

Post by KM2 »

It was just a desire to ride to the sea without going along the cycle track at the side of the main road. She does cycle westward, and along the coast.