What helmet cam?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Darkman

What helmet cam?

Post by Darkman »

Hello

I'm not really on the bike at the moment - more of a fair-weather cyclist plus I've had man-flu for the past week.

However... I have a dashcam in the car, which I got after witnessing the toe-curling escapades of other so-called drivers, and I got to thinking I should probably get one for on the bike, too.

Criteria:
Price - I don't want to pay a fortune (pretty much rules out GoPro?)
Compact - I don't want a big square thing that looks like I'm riding around with a GATSO on me nut (again, rules out GoPro?)
Decent battery life

Discuss.
gazza_d

Re: What helmet cam?

Post by gazza_d »

Have a look at a Drift Ghost X. About £100-120 (sometimes on amazon deal)
HD. Decent battery life and relatively compact.
I used to use an SJCAM clone, but bought a Drift earlier this year and have been pleased with it
hemo

Post by hemo »

I use a pair of these, but would never helmet mount any camera.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Action-Plus- ... Swuxhbl~Hl

Had them a couple of years and work well, plasticky build but works fine. I took a punt when they were < £25 and fit them on the bars.
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

hemo wrote:but would never helmet mount any camera.

Because of the safety aspect?

Doesn't the camera shake like hell if it's frame-mounted?
hemo

Post by hemo »

Darkman wrote:
hemo wrote:but would never helmet mount any camera.

Because of the safety aspect?

Doesn't the camera shake like hell if it's frame-mounted?

The camera does rattle /vibrate a bit on it's fixing though pic wise doesn't show up to badly on the replay's.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Harpsta22 wrote:https://chilli-tech.com/content/new-bullet-action-camera/

Hope it’s better than their last one. Was sent one that wouldn’t charge. Replacement would lose its charge completely overnight.

Was treated like an idiot, called a liar and had my address ‘blacklisted’ from ordering from them again. Terrible customer service. Had to fight for a refund.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I have the Cycliq 12 combined light and camera mounted on the bars (and a rear mounted Cycliq 6). Nothing else touches them for battery life. They will both run for 6 hours in camera mode. Not cheap but then you don’t need separate lights.

No discernible rattle with either camera.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

None.

Mount one on the handlebars instead preferably one with a small screen that you can check as you go along.

Apart from the weight/drag from some cameras, and the risk of the mount punching-through your helmet or the mount+camera dragging your head around if you do have an off, a helmet-mounted cam does not allow you to see the warning messages when the battery is about to die, or the card is full - or even check that you've switched it on (or remembered to switch ot off!

I use a Garmin Virb - looks a bit like a lamp from a distance. Exchangeable battery so I can carry a spare and/or replace just the battery (not the whole unit) when the battery gives up permanently, screen display tells me its switched on/gives battery warning/full card warning etc. Can be powered by an external battery pack as well if required, and does not need a separate waterpfoof casing as some do.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !