Shoe sizing

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Michelin

Shoe sizing

Post by Michelin »

I am looking into buying a pair of Shimano RP 701 shoes and am not sure what size to get as I am a size 8 UK but when I look at the size charts some say I need a 43 and some say I need a 41.5 and some say 42 so confusing.I know I could just go to a shop and try them but there are none near me that sell them so I'll have'to order on line.
Also any good tips on cleat set up on new shoes
De Sisti

Re: Shoe sizing

Post by De Sisti »

Can't help with sizing, as it's universally known the manufacturers have different ideas on
what a particular size should be.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I agree.
I bought a pair of cycling shoes from Spa Cycles, and had to return them for a bigger size. Best thing is to buy from somewhere you can try them on, but at least online shops understand. You could buy two pairs, and pick the best, then return the other pair for a refund.
Mick F. Cornwall
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

My general experience is that Cycling Shoes are often too narrow for me.
My normal shoe size is also 8 (although I have a pair of 'extra wide' 7's)
Cycling shoes are all 42's ( Crane, Rivat , Duegi) .
Re set up of cleats , just copy your old ones (assuming you aware replacing an old pair?)
And perhaps do one, then try it with one if the old shoes on the opposing foot just to see if they feel the same.
As you say the Mail order bods generally have a returns/exchange policy .
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Michelin wrote:I am looking into buying a pair of Shimano RP 701 shoes and am not sure what size to get as I am a size 8 UK but when I look at the size charts some say I need a 43 and some say I need a 41.5 and some say 42 so confusing.I know I could just go to a shop and try them but there are none near me that sell them so I'll have'to order on line.

Over the last ten years I've bought 3 pairs of Shimano cycling shoes and the ladywife has bought one. All were MTB style shoes. In all cases, one EU size larger was needed than we have in other shoes, cycling or otherwise. For example, my usual shoe size is 45 but only a 46 Shimano is long enough to avoid the big toe getting squished.

Shimano shoes seem to be reasonably broad. My feet aren't hobbit-like but neither are they kind that go into Italian winklepickers. Shimano width is just right for me. I'll just re-iterate, though: this is for substantial MTB style shoes not them minimalist racer things.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Cugel wrote:Shimano shoes seem to be reasonably broad.

I find Shimnao shoes too narrow. Even their wide-fit are too tight for my feet.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Michelin wrote:I am looking into buying a pair of Shimano RP 701 shoes and am not sure what size to get as I am a size 8 UK but when I look at the size charts some say I need a 43 and some say I need a 41.5 and some say 42 so confusing.I know I could just go to a shop and try them but there are none near me that sell them so I'll have'to order on line.

Shoe sizing
Postby Romany » Sun 13 Oct 2019, 7:22 am

I am looking into buying a pair of Shimano RP 701 shoes and am not sure what size to get as I am a size 8 UK but when I look at the size charts some say I need a 43 and some say I need a 41.5 and some say 42 so confusing.I know I could just go to a shop and try them but there are none near me that sell them so I'll have'to order on line.
softlips

Post by softlips »

De Sisti wrote:

Out of interest what do you wear? I need wide fitting. Recently purchased some Bonts but really would like more width still.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

In theory 8 equals 42 and each Euro size is 3/4 of a UK size.
In practise it means stuff all so don't buy shoes you can't try on. That can be tricky as we all want a big choice so all you can do is find shops with free o cheap mail order returns. Don't believe your mates or the web , at best its a very rough guide.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

softlips wrote:
De Sisti wrote:

Out of interest what do you wear? I need wide fitting. Recently purchased some Bonts but really would like more width still.

I have a pair of Sidi Dominator 7 Mega and Louis Garneau Monte (no longer available).
I still had to use a shoe stretcher on both of them to gain extra width.

In my opinion shoe manufacturers fail to grasp the concept of foot shape*. I feel especially sorry for
(fashionable) women who wear shoes that have no realtion to the shape of their feet and end up with
squash-up toes. Not a pretty sight.

* Not enough room in the toe-box area.
** I have found a brand by the name of Keen, that offer suitable width shoes for those with wide feet.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Like Cugel, I buy one EU size bigger - so a 44 instead of a 43.
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

De Sisti wrote:In my opinion shoe manufacturers fail to grasp the concept of foot shape*. I feel especially sorry for
(fashionable) women who wear shoes that have no realtion to the shape of their feet and end up with
squash-up toes. Not a pretty sight.

* Not enough room in the toe-box area.
** I have found a brand by the name of Keen, that offer suitable width shoes for those with wide feet.

Why feel sorry for people who voluntarily put fashion over the comfort and health of their feet unless it's sorrow that fashion means so much to them that they will accept the discomfort and damage ill-fitting shoes can cause?

+1 for Keen shoes, they are one of the few brands where I can purchase women's rather than men's shoes. They used to do a cycling shoe (no good for toe clips but suitable for cleats) but I don't know if they still do.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Anyone listen to R4 on Wednesday?

Chap on there has run LEJOG barefoot.
I didn't listen to all he said as I was involved in other stuff, but he went on about feet and shoes and how shoes are the wrong shape for feet.

Draw round a foot, then draw round a shoe ........... he was saying.
Feet are wide at the front and ankles are narrow at the heel.
Shoes are narrow at the front, and wide at the heel ........... he said.

Yet to check this out, but as a person who is barefoot all day indoors (even now) and unless outside I don't put footware on at all, I can see his point.

Walking the dog for an hour this afternoon, I was in sandals.
Mick F. Cornwall
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Mick F wrote:Anyone listen to R4 on Wednesday?

Chap on there has run LEJOG barefoot.
I didn't listen to all he said as I was involved in other stuff, but he went on about feet and shoes and how shoes are the wrong shape for feet.

Draw round a foot, then draw round a shoe ........... he was saying.
Feet are wide at the front and ankles are narrow at the heel.
Shoes are narrow at the front, and wide at the heel ........... he said.

Spot on.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

I'll mention the DHB Dorica shoes that I have - made in both MTB and racing style sole (i.e. for the different clipless systems of 2 & 3 bolt respectively). These shoes are inexpensive and well made. The toe box is roomy but because they're lace-ups with a long pair of flaps in which the laces are mounted, they fit very well around your foot arch. I suspect they'll fit well on various foot widths.

These features make them a good firm but variable fit. They're the best fitting and most comfortable long distance cycling shoes I've ever used - and I've used a lot over the years. The worst were Sidis, which gave me black toenail that took ages to get rid of.

The Doricas also have good stiff soles although not as stiff as carbon fibre. I find it easy to walk in the MTB version albeit not for any distance. I now have three pairs, one a close fit and two a bit roomier for winter use with various thick sealskin-type socks, which is more for warmth than keeping out the wet. Pull on the laces the requisite amount and they all fit very well.

https://www.wiggle.com/dhb-dorica-mtb-shoe-1/

Currently £80 but often in a sale for £50-£55.

They also now have a £100 carbon fibre version for the road now:

https://www.wiggle.com/dhb-dorica-carbon-road-shoe/

I've not tried those.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes