Heavy "ish" Saddle Bag Mounted on Seat Rails ???

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Witterings

Heavy "ish" Saddle Bag Mounted on Seat Rails ???

Post by Witterings »

I'm looking at a couple of different saddle bag options and was given an Altura Aran 2 as a B'day present which attaches to the seat post as in this pic here

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... mrc&uact=8

But the way the bag's attached to the wire / support it hangs low underneath and it hits on my mudguard without anything / any weight in it

You can get an adapter that will work with the bag so it's fitted to the saddle rails instead like this which is clearly visible in the 2nd photo
https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/klickfix-co ... ag-2675350

Has anyone had experience of mounting one like this and will it bounce / would you feel it through the saddle

My alternative is one of these which fits on the seat post and doesn't hit the mudguard and whilst it's only an extra 250g it which feels quite a bit heavier (maybe it's the lever effect as I hold it at the attaching point) and it's virtually double the cost

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Norco-Carson-S ... B078NXNZVY

If the seat rail version bounces and you can feel it I think it'd be really annoying but if you're not going to notice it I may as well go with the cheaper and lighter option.

If anyone's any experience with mounting a heavy'ish saddle bag on the saddle rails and what it feels like I'd be interested to hear what you think of it??
Last edited by Witterings on 16 Oct 2019, 11:51am, edited 2 times in total.
JohnW

Re: Heavy "ish" Saddle Bag Mounted on Seat Rails ???

Post by JohnW »

Up to the 1980s I hung my traditional saddlebags from the saddlebag loops - and strapped back to the seat-pin.
This had been an imperfect ensemble for years, partly because the loaded saddlebag rested down onto the mudguard.
I fitted a lightweight pannier frame and this solved the problem.
The Altura 'Arran' that you've illustrated is a rackpack, not a traditional saddlebag.
I have Altura 'Arran' rackpacks on two bikes, on pannier frames. This ensemble is a success for me.
I wouldn't fit rackpacks onto those seat-pin prongs myself.
(to clarify, for what it's worth, some say "seat post" and some say "seat-pin")
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Hi

I had a heavish seatbag for my lejog.

I had the foresight to take with me a bungee strap this allowed be to strap round the seat bag and the rails to give a more secure hold on the seat bag as the cam clip broke on day 2.

It also allowed me to stow my waterproof jacket across the back for extra visibility.

Also good on trains to stop bike swinging

It made the seat bag far less liable to swing whilst out the saddle and a more secure to boot.

Cheers James
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

The last two links do not work.
And bear in mind that you don;t want a lot of weight cantilevered away from the saddle, makes the bike feel funny.
Ideally, the closer to the saddle, the better. No surprise why Carradice are still widely used :D
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I've used a Camper Longflap full of camping gear on a Bagman QR, which attaches to the saddle rails, but holds the saddlebag pretty close to where it would be using saddle loops.

It doesn't have any noticeable effect on the bike handling when seated. Out of the saddle, the high up weight makes the bike want to keep going as you swing it from side to side, but you get used to it pretty quickly.
The steel Bagman support is quite springy, so the saddle bag does bounce, up to several inches at times. It's enough that the rear end of the support dented the stainless mudguard, which prompted me to add a rubber bumper to the Bagman. However, you don't notice it when riding - I view it as suspension for the saddlebag.
I have the clamp block hard up against the saddle clamp, with the intention of reducing any possible stress on the saddle rails.
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

Gattonero wrote:The last two links do not work.
And bear in mind that you don;t want a lot of weight cantilevered away from the saddle, makes the bike feel funny.
Ideally, the closer to the saddle, the better. No surprise why Carradice are still widely used :D

Cheers for that much appreciated ... have fixed the links now!! :D