The Strange Case of the Vanishing Map

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
iandriver

Re: The Strange Case of the Vanishing Map

Post by iandriver »

nirakaro wrote:AIUI (correct me if I'm wrong) the Moto E3 formats the SD card as internal memory, and then makes no distinction between the built-in memory and the card. There is an option to format the card as portable memory, but then – I think – you can't install apps to it, which leaves you a bit short of app-space.

Formatting a card and the device being able to access the memory at the same speeds etc. are two different things. Internal memory is usually the reliable bet.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Thing is (is this a vagary of this particular phone?), it invites you to format the card as internal memory, and then treats all its memory as a single block, without giving you a choice of where to put stuff. Anyway, I've reformatted the card as portable memory, and reinstalled MapsMe, which is now definitely on the built-in memory. So we'll see. Don't miss next week's thrilling instalment!
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Well, that seems to have fixed it, fingers crossed - it's still there after ten days.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

nirakaro wrote:Well, that seems to have fixed it, fingers crossed - it's still there after ten days.

Can you clarify what you did to sort it?
Sweep
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

This phone gives you two options for formatting the SD card – either as 'portable', if you want the card to be readable in other devices, or otherwise as 'internal', in which case the phone treats all its memory as a single block, and doesn't give you options about where to put stuff.
Clearly though, some parts of its memory are more equal than others. I had the memory formatted as internal, the phone obviously installed the app on the SD card, and it kept vanishing. I reformatted the card as portable, so the phone now, I assume, has to install the app on the built-in memory, where it seems – touch wood – to be stable.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

nirakaro wrote:This phone gives you two options for formatting the SD card – either as 'portable', if you want the card to be readable in other devices, or otherwise as 'internal', in which case the phone treats all its memory as a single block, and doesn't give you options about where to put stuff.
Clearly though, some parts of its memory are more equal than others. I had the memory formatted as internal, the phone obviously installed the app on the SD card, and it kept vanishing. I reformatted the card as portable, so the phone now, I assume, has to install the app on the built-in memory, where it seems – touch wood – to be stable.

Odd, as i thought internal was the preferred option for such applications.
Thanks for the reply.
Osmand on my tab has its maps (not app) on the card. Card formatted as internal.
I have noticed that whenever i go to the "update maps" option to see if they need updating, for quite a few seconds it tells me that none are installed, before finding them.
I assume that this is because the card reads slower than internal storage.
An improvement on my earlier problem, though, where it would just tell me on booting up the app that it had no maps full stop. This was because, i assume, i was using an inferior card.
Sweep