How did I bend my wheel in half!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
soapbox

Re: How did I bend my wheel in half!

Postby soapbox » 25 Oct 2019, 1:05pm

I've had occasion to use the extreme wheel-truing technique, which I learned on a clubrun, years ago (one of the benefits of clubs with experienced riders, who have seen pretty much everything there is to see on a bike). It takes a degree of confidence and a careless degree of brute force. The attitude to have is that the wheel is already knackered; you can't make it much worse.

gbnz

Postby gbnz » 27 Oct 2019, 3:57pm

And moving on....would respondents to date, be happy using a tyre that's been bent over by 70-80 degrees throughout the last fortnight?

Tyre was fairly new with minimal wear and shows no sign of direct damage to the wire bead or tyre materials (NB. Other than a slight distortion to the bead where I had to use a couple of screwdrivers to pry it off the rim (NB. Breaking my shoulder and a couple of ribs twice within six weeks, has left me slightly lacking in upper body strength / mobility, thus screwdrivers were required).

At worse I'm presuming it could be used on the rear wheel, where in the unlikely event it came off the rim the consequences would be limited

gbnz

Postby gbnz » 27 Oct 2019, 3:58pm

Oh and I had some disapproving looks at the recycling centre this morning, when depositing the damaged rim. It's not the done thing locally to arrive in anything other than a car (NB. Pedestrians and cyclists being banned from accessing the recycling centre :roll: )

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 27 Oct 2019, 4:02pm

You have mentioned that before :wink:
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son..
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on 49" fixed
We love safety cameras, we love life "1330"

willp01908

Postby willp01908 » 27 Oct 2019, 4:34pm

Several of those soapboxes had wheels fold up on them during the run and it surprised me to see that it didn't take much to do it.

I`d seen that too and thought to myself that spoked wheels are actually quite weak given a sideways load as they would be when cornering one of those soapboxes.

On a bike, you lean and the forces are transmitted down the wheel in it`s usual load bearing direction...?

Is this a thing for trikes? Are trike wheels built laterally stronger - dunno maybe wider hubs?

Just wonderin` aloud

fastpedaller

Postby fastpedaller » 27 Oct 2019, 5:34pm

gbnz wrote:And moving on....would respondents to date, be happy using a tyre that's been bent over by 70-80 degrees throughout the last fortnight?

Tyre was fairly new with minimal wear and shows no sign of direct damage to the wire bead or tyre materials (NB. Other than a slight distortion to the bead where I had to use a couple of screwdrivers to pry it off the rim (NB. Breaking my shoulder and a couple of ribs twice within six weeks, has left me slightly lacking in upper body strength / mobility, thus screwdrivers were required).

At worse I'm presuming it could be used on the rear wheel, where in the unlikely event it came off the rim the consequences would be limited

A tyre is made out of a flexible material, so no issue :D

gbnz

Postby gbnz » 27 Oct 2019, 5:41pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:You have mentioned that before :wink:

I presume in relation to the recycling centre :wink:

I'm not a "green" person, but suppose by chance I live an incredibly environmentally friendly lifestyle compared with most :wink: . Anyway, back to basics; need to polish those second hand bearings from the XT Hub which has now been built into 3-4 different wheels over the years

gbnz

Postby gbnz » 27 Oct 2019, 5:43pm

fastpedaller wrote:
A tyre is made out of a flexible material, so no issue :D

Thanks, suppose so. And while the wire bead is a bit distorted, the tyre in question is so tight fitting it should be fairly safe (Vittoria Randenneur - speeling issue?)

nez

Postby nez » 28 Oct 2019, 4:53pm

Many years ago I buckled a rear wheel in Snow Hill Bath merely by putting leg power through the chain while the bike was a bit tilted.

Polisman

Postby Polisman » 28 Oct 2019, 7:27pm

I bent one nearly in half twenty years ago while cycling in Calabria. Half an hour wangling it in a fence and I was able to get on my way again, slowly, to the nearest town and bike shop..

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 29 Oct 2019, 10:35am

Brucey wrote:if you turn the steering sideways violently/suddenly enough, the front wheel will just fold over. Wheels are not that strong laterally; I have folded them over in exactly that way (e.g. swerving to avoid someone who stepped out from between parked cars). In Richard's bicycle book I think it describes the result as being like "the front wheel melts into the tarmac" or similar. Maybe something like that is what happened?

cheers

Agreed
Richard Ballantine's bicycle book used to describe this as last chance brake but did point out it would fold the wheel.
NUKe

Tigerbiten

Postby Tigerbiten » 29 Oct 2019, 4:36pm

willp01908 wrote:Is this a thing for trikes? Are trike wheels built laterally stronger - dunno maybe wider hubs?

Just wonderin` aloud

Trikes tend to be ok.

You need extreme levels of lateral force to pringle a wheel.
And at these levels of force on a corner, then you tend not to stay on three wheels.
So it tends to be self correcting ........... :lol:

YMMV ........ :D

willp01908

o bend my wheel in half!

Postby willp01908 » 30 Oct 2019, 11:15am

And at these levels of force on a corner, then you tend not to stay on three wheels.
So it tends to be self correcting ...........

Like it - not ridden a trike since I was about 5 and never at any extremes. Do catch myself distractedly lusting after a tadpole `bent on occasion..... does that count?

gbnz

Postby gbnz » 30 Oct 2019, 2:05pm

Tigerbiten wrote: You need extreme levels of lateral force to pringle a wheel.

Hmm....interesting. NHS Consultant noted that breaking my shoulder twice in six weeks has required "extreme force". Though as far as I know it's not been pringled yet :wink:.

(NB. Not taking any chances now; been waiting for my brand new Sputnik rim to be delivered since 09.00am, not a rim I'd normally use on the front)

nez

Postby nez » 30 Oct 2019, 2:13pm

You need a DTSwiss MTB shoulder