Road cycling routes from London (South) + finding House to hire

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
driesroekaerts

Road cycling routes from London (South) + finding House to hire

Post by driesroekaerts »

Hi all,
We are a 10 Belgian +/- 40 year old guys coming over by bike to the UK next summer (4 till 10th of July).
We'll take the ferry from Calais to Dover and would like to rent a house somewhere south of London so we can possibly go and see one of the Worldcup matches at Wembley stadium too.
We are experienced cyclists looking to do daily rides of +/- 100 km by road bike.
What would be a good destination for us to start looking for a house (1 week)?
Many thanks as we have no clue at all...
Dries
Last edited by driesroekaerts on 20 Oct 2019, 10:46am, edited 1 time in total.
Grandad

Re: Road cycling routes from London (South) + finding House to hire

Post by Grandad »

Any town that is South of the M25 is your best bet. This will avoid the first (and last) few miles of most rides being through busy suburbs.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Grandad wrote:Any town that is South of the M25 is your best bet. This will avoid the first (and last) few miles of most rides being through busy suburbs.

have you thought about some where in North London say the Lee Valley YHA and rent a few rooms or one of the lodges?

https://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/yha-london-lee-valley?startDate=23/10/2019&endDate=25/10/2019&males=1&females=0&malesChild=0&femalesChild=0&under26=0&malesChildAges=&femalesChildAges=

Hire the whole place

The lodges at YHA London Lee Valley are occasionally made available for hire on an exclusive basis. You can choose from Lodge 3 or Lodge 4. This means that you can have a lodge to yourself and choose how many of your friends, family, club mates, etc., join you. We allocate availability for exclusive use in blocks, typically up to 90 days in the future. If you are looking for space to stay with us on a normal shared basis, and can’t see any availability three months or more into the future, then this hostel may be being held for Exclusive Hire. You can check availability for Exclusive Hire on our dedicated website.

[url]
https://exclusive-hire.yha.org.uk/prope ... aleevalley[/url]

It has a rail connection just 5 minutes walk away and you can take you bikes on it. : and is a very nice area

Another possibility is the 2 safari huts at Tanners Hatch YHA near Dorking

https://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/yha-tanners-hatch-surrey-hills

tanners hatch
tanners hatch
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

have you thought about some where in North London say the Lee Valley YHA and rent a few rooms or one of the lodges?

The request specifically says South.....

A much better idea.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

driesroekaerts wrote:Hi all,
We are a 10 Belgian +/- 40 year old guys coming over by bike to the UK next summer (4 till 10th of July).
We'll take the ferry from Calais to Dover and would like to rent a house somewhere south of London so we can possibly go and see one of the Worldcup matches at Wembley stadium too.
We are experienced cyclists looking to do daily rides of +/- 100 km by road bike.
Dries

Don't give phone numbers on forums, it's not good practice/secure.
Also I would say ask on LFGSS https://www.lfgss.com/ more likely to have better information for your requirements
Last edited by The utility cyclist on 19 Oct 2019, 11:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

The utility cyclist wrote:Don't give phone numbers on forums, it's not good practice/secure.

+1
Sweep
driesroekaerts

Post by driesroekaerts »

Sweep wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:Don't give phone numbers on forums, it's not good practice/secure.

+1

ok thanks for advice
driesroekaerts

Post by driesroekaerts »

The utility cyclist wrote:
driesroekaerts wrote:Hi all,
Dries

Don't give phone numbers on forums, it's not good practice/secure.
Also I would say ask on LFGSS https://www.lfgss.com/ more likely to have better information for your requirements

ok thanks, will do!
driesroekaerts

Post by driesroekaerts »

Grandad wrote:

A much better idea.

Unfortunately fully booked during that week... still thanks for advice
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I would try and book an AirBnB.

Wembley is north London so would be easier to travel to from north of the capital. There is interesting countryside around London wherever you choose. South of London is the North and South Downs, NW of London are the Chilterns. These are all hilly areas with interesting lanes to explore on a bike.

Tring and Berkhamstead are both on the train line and only 40 minutes or so from London by train. They are both in the Chilterns and surrounded by nice countryside. I’ll let others make specific recommendations for south of London, as I have not visited the area.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Grandad wrote:

A much better idea.

I mentioned the north as he wants to go to Wembley to watch some of the foot ball games
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Grandad wrote:

A much better idea.

I mentioned the north as he wants to go to Wembley to watch some of the foot ball games.

There is just as good rides north of London as in the south?
xjs

Post by xjs »

Hi Dries.

Sevenoaks could be good - lots of beautiful countryside nearby full of weekend cyclists, and trains into London.

Or the Whitstable area is nice, if you fancy being further away but by the sea. Also on a train line to London.
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

Have you thought of University Halls of Residence? They are often empty and take in tourists at reasonable rates. Greenwich, Goldsmiths, Kings, etc to name a few in South London.
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

Dries, I am thinking of the South out of London routes I take. I live in Forest Hill but can’t help on accommodation, sorry. Here are a few of the trips I have made and recommend. Something to see/do, somewhere to eat/drink and access to trains via Greenwich, Bromley or Lewisham.

Right, someone suggested Faversham, I’d second that. Faversham along the coast to Margate, Broadstairs, Ramsgate would tick a lot of boxes. Food, beers, sightseeing, coast, flat etc mainly quiet roads and a fair bit off main roads on paths and promenades. Maybe even start at Sittingbourne. Travel out from London and return, by train. Greenwich involves a change at Strood. Direct trains go from Bromley South but all originate in Central London. Three or more travelling together and you can ask for Groupsave which gives you about 30% discount.

T he suggested trip to Sevenoaks is equally interesting. Cycling from Bromley, via Downe, ( Charles Darwin House and decent pub) over the hills via Knockholt to Sevenoaks ; a good range of pubs and other eateries! Then on from there to Tudeley which has the only church in the World with a complete set of windows by Marc Chagall. From there to Royal Tunbridge Wells, to Penshurst, via Hever to Edenbridge. I‘d get a train back to London from there. Lots of sights, castles, history and refreshments. Lovely ride.

If you’re not averse to a local ride possibly including a bit of gravel and rideable tracks as well as roads and paths, train to Gravesend and cycling on the Hoo Peninsula. Big on Charles Dickens in Cooling. From there to Allhallows, the end of the Thames etc. Return via Hoo St Werburgha, Upnor, Strood, Rochester, then return to Gravesend on a higher route, via Strood, Singlewell, Pepper Hill, etc. Most is on quiet roads and plenty of good pubs for food. Gravesend has a host of pubs and eateries!
Use Cycle Travel, a great Website to plan your routes and print cue sheets for use with Ordnance Survey maps. I‘d order the Explorer Series online of the relevant areas you’re planning to visit.
Always Google where you’re going for visitor tips and definitely check websites for pub restaurant hours especially on Hoo. If I think of anymore, I’ll post again. In the meantime, you could always pm me if you want clarification.

Regarding your football for Euos 2012, this is from the Wembley Box Office.
" TICKETING

Application window now closed for tickets

Follow my team’ tickets will be sold directly to the fans of the participating teams after the EURO 2020 Final Tournament Draw which takes place in Bucharest on Saturday 30 November 2019.

You can guarantee your place at UEFA EURO 2020 by booking Official Hospitality, which is now on sale. Enquire now and be the first to secure your place at UEFA EURO 2020 matches with Official Hospitality at Wembley Stadium."

It's very long winded but essentially you need to be members of your national team supporters' club or similar, in Belgium.

Mike