Queensbury Tunnel (Halifax/Bradford )

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ratherbeintobago

Queensbury Tunnel (Halifax/Bradford )

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Anyone in Halifax/Bradford know what’s going on?
Steve

Re: Queensbury Tunnel (Halifax/Bradford )

Post by Steve »

Local TV news last night said they were dumping large volume of hard-core down a ventilation shaft, to prevent major collapse of the tunnel in one area.
In theory this is reversible, and might prevent catastrophic failure, but obviously won't make reopening easier.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... s-50139370

Flooded and being filled in apparently.

Cheers James
ratherbeintobago

There was some stuff about the work being halted but it’s all a bit vague.
ratherbeintobago

Aye, I saw that and it’s what prompted the question.
ratherbeintobago

https://yorkshiretimes.co.uk/article/Ca ... -Vandalism

Sounds like both the campaign and Bradford Council are keen to know what’s going on?
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Came across the tunnel and the viaduct the other day whilst out walking. Shocked to find the ppolitical issues with reopening it - the benefits of doing so on the Tissington and Monsal trails, for example, are clear. So having discovered the petition I've now upped the no. of signatures. So now having found this thread I thought I'd resurrect it, just in case anyone else is interested ... http://www.queensburytunnel.org.uk/
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

There is also a tunnel which exits at crossroads haworth. Does anyone know anything about it?

Cheers James
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Tunnels are periodically very expensive to maintain and cyclists don't pay to use them (directly). I'm amazed any are open to us.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

rogerzilla wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 10:21am Tunnels are periodically very expensive to maintain and cyclists don't pay to use them (directly). I'm amazed any are open to us.
No-one pays to use them - cyclists, walkers, horse riders all! But they are still there on many of the trails that use former railway lines, without them the trails would be difficult to use, if not impossible, especially such as the Monsal trail which otherwise would be a series of unlinked footpaths with periodic hill-climbs, tricky for the elderly or wheelchair users!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !