Cold weather and safety on the roads

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mattheus

Re: Cold weather and safety on the roads

Post by mattheus »

Tangled Metal wrote:Reminds me of Sweden. Drivers slow down to a point a little before junctions then rolling to the line slowly. They drive to proper winter conditions. Cycling in the uk needs to copy that technique.

I think you can learn from car drivers, but this technique doesn't work very well; it's too easy to fall off a bike AS you stop on ice - it's almost impossible in a car :)
mjr

Post by mjr »

mattheus wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Reminds me of Sweden. Drivers slow down to a point a little before junctions then rolling to the line slowly. They drive to proper winter conditions. Cycling in the uk needs to copy that technique.

I think you can learn from car drivers, but this technique doesn't work very well; it's too easy to fall off a bike AS you stop on ice - it's almost impossible in a car :)

Almost every year in the fens, we see drivers achieve this almost-impossible act of making their car fall over on ice! Maybe not so near impossible?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

mattheus wrote:

You don't necessarily have to stop.

I was really referring to the thinking ahead and leaving a bit more time to do a manoeuvre whether that's stop or simply make a turn. It won't stop you slipping if it's bad but it does allow for time to assess the conditions at points where you're about to change direction or speed. It's more likely you'll slip at such points of changes IME. Plus doing that might result in a slip but that could then be further back from the junction which surely must be safer.
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Tangled Metal wrote:
I was really referring to the thinking ahead and leaving a bit more time to do a manoeuvre whether that's stop or simply make a turn. It won't stop you slipping if it's bad but it does allow for time to assess the conditions at points where you're about to change direction or speed. It's more likely you'll slip at such points of changes IME. Plus doing that might result in a slip but that could then be further back from the junction which surely must be safer.

I also like to use the rear brake a lot more in icy conditions for gently shedding speed. It's a lot easier to recover from the rear wheel locking than the front. And if the front wheel does find some purchase but the rear is skating then you can have the amusing feeling of being overtaken by your own rear wheel.
Also when losing speed early- be aware that you can slide a surprisingly long way on ice. I remember one day, when breaking a lot of the advice on this thread, gracefully sliding towards the junction I had been braking to stop for and wondering if I was going to stop before joining the main road. I survived with hardly any road rash but then had to walk 10+m back to where my bike was waiting for me (during which I could appreciate quite how icy the road was)
I suppose the alternative is include an ice-axe as part of the winter commuting kit.....
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

mjr wrote:Almost every year in the fens, we see drivers achieve this almost-impossible act of making their car fall over on ice! Maybe not so near impossible?

To be fair in the fens they achieve the even more impressive act of doing this in the summer. You would have thought all the drainage ditches would have given evolution a helping hand by now
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

CliveyT wrote:
mjr wrote:Almost every year in the fens, we see drivers achieve this almost-impossible act of making their car fall over on ice! Maybe not so near impossible?

To be fair in the fens they achieve the even more impressive act of doing this in the summer. You would have thought all the drainage ditches would have given evolution a helping hand by now

In the Somerset Levels too. Dead straight, dead flat roads interrupted every now and again by skid marks swerving into a rhine (local name for drainage ditch). Is it only coincidence that mjr inhabits both places? :wink:
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
CliveyT wrote:

In the Somerset Levels too. Dead straight, dead flat roads interrupted every now and again by skid marks swerving into a rhine (local name for drainage ditch). Is it only coincidence that mjr inhabits both places? :wink:

Not entirely, but I lived on the side of a Mendip in Somerset and I have been careful to live on what passes for a hill in the fens because I don't trust our government not to let coastal areas flood while they stay relatively safe behind the Thames Barrier.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Oh, I thought for some reason you were down on the Levels. Getting completely sidetracked, it seems a bit odd that we say "the Mendips" plural, when it's really just one big lump. I guess it's a sort of habit from the many hill areas which are lots of hills (Penines, Quantocks, etc).
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

mjr wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:Have ridden on ice/frosty roads on 23mm tyres BITD as probably many have, never came off so I don't understand people going to a 'winter' tyre never mind studded ones unless you're riding on sheet ice for sustained periods.
Surely it's far more about taking a bit more care/being vigilant and going a bit slower on the straight bits and slowing down earlier/over a longer distance than you would ordinarily. I'd rather have to hop off for a few seconds worse case scenario than drag a set of studded tyres for the sake of the odd patch and the cost of a set isn't exactly cheap either, and for what, a few days/nights a year.

Sustained sheet ice is Norfolk's winter roads policy, I think! So studded tyres are worth their weight out here. I grew up riding frost roads on 28s and sliding down a few roads but now roads seem icier and busier.

As I said, if you're riding and there's plenty of Ice then it's worth it but it comes across that people are buying winter specific tyres and/or studded tyres for a few patches that could be averted anyway.

Generally people travel on roads they know, you know for a fact from the general temperatures/conditions there's likely to be ice patches and indeed where those patches might be along your route. We also know that riding into the unknown just as driving is dumb and asking for trouble so wee slow down so we have time to make decisions before the hazard is right upon us leaving us no thinking time to make a decision - to slow (further) and potentially dismount.

Winter/studded tyres take significantly more effort even when you're taking more care and going slower (and it will be for the whole of your journey), I'd rather stick to what I know, sacrifice a few extra seconds on my normal tyres even dismounting if need be, over buying, fitting and taking on/off again with that extra effort as well as potentially making me overconfident as well.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

It depends on your commute. Mine is a minimum of 10 miles each way, mainly on ungritted rural lanes and is prone to large patches of sheet ice in some conditions.

In the past I would have risked it on "normal" tyres, or driven, but since winter tyres have become readily available and I have the luxury of a spare bike for them I decided to take advantage. So, following the first heavy frosts in November I fit Continental Top Contact Winter II to my touring bike and they stay on it until around late February / early March. That is the bike I use on any days when ice looks likely. It is true they are slower than my normal tyres, but so is riding long stretches at walking pace, or getting off and walking - which is what I would have to do otherwise.