Selle saddle with cut-out

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
yendomo

Selle saddle with cut-out

Post by yendomo »

Hi guys, totally new to cycling (in terms of riding it everyday) and I just upgrade my saddle to a Selle saddle which has a cutout in the seat for pressure relief. Whilst I was fitting it I noticed that the cutout meant that the screws and seat post would be exposed to rain and water when the bike is parked up. Will this cause any major issues in the long run? And if so, what is the best way to go about solving it?

Cheers.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my Pixel 3a using hovercraft full of eels.
gaz

Re: Selle saddle with cut-out

Post by gaz »

Welcome to the forum.

When you park up put on a saddle cover*. Keeps the saddle dry for when you sit on it again later too.

*Plastic bag, 5p.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

Strange that you should post this as I have for comfort reasons changed to a cut out saddle on a few bikes. One bikes seatpost the was open at the top so any rain would have gone into the frame so I replaced it with a spare one I had. As I previously had leather saddles I am used to protecting the saddle with a seat cover when off the bike. Maybe you could try carrying a plastic bag to see if you can get into the habit. A good cover such as those made by brooks will protect the saddle from wall damage when you lean the bike against one.
Gaz just beat me to this suggestion while I was typing. :D
yendomo

Post by yendomo »

Thank you all. Plastic bag it is haha

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my Pixel 3a using hovercraft full of eels.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

yendomo wrote:...the screws and seat post would be exposed to rain and water when the bike is parked up. Will this cause any major issues in the long run? And if so, what is the best way to go about solving it?...

Almost always, the saddle clamp should be greased in the bolts and the parts holding the rails, this prevents noise and corrosion.
Then of course, to further protect the saddle from rain is always a good idea, in fact it's mandatory for leather saddles.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Disposable shower cap works well as it has drawstrings.
John
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

Asda bag seems to work better than other brands, I guess because it's non biodegradable :lol: