Does anyone collect saddles?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
WrightsW5

Re: Does anyone collect saddles?

Post by WrightsW5 »

I have got them around the house and garage, I am aware of 33, there may be a slight few more!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Do you find them in good condition, where do you buy them? When can a tired saddle be restored, when must the leather be replaced?
Is your hobby expensive?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

I get them from ebay, depends what happens to be on there, could be barely useable or NOS, on one of my bikes i've got a Middlemore B3 that was NOS.. I've got Middlemore & Lamplugh saddle which is pre-1920 and great condition, but I haven't rode it yet.
If the leather is still strong an old saddle can be given a very quick soak in water and reshaped, padded out with bundled up t-shirts etc and monitored until dry.
There are people out there who can replace a leather top, my most expensive saddle is an old Brooks B32 that was recovered, cost me £175. One of the rails snapped a few days ago but i've had a good few years riding it, getting near the end of the tension adjustment anyway. With a low start auction you might get something for a few pounds.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
I don't have the bug, but I do remember watching the construction process (link)
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Just counted up in my head, I have five saddles at least, one B17 that I used for 20 years, it is a bit tired now, but that is a very long life for something used a lot, left out in the weather, not maintained much
Saddles last much longer than tyres, chains etc, most cars do not last that long either

And I have one of those monstrous heavy Fiets saddles with big springs, might put that on my fixie bike for fun :wink:

I thought Walsall was saddle city too
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

Sounds like a B190? :)
Yes, Walsall, Saddle Town, Middlemore & Lamplugh had a factory there, probably mostly horse saddles, bridles etc?
Just remembered, Mr Holden was a leather worker in Walsall, before he went to Australia and ended up with a car brand named after him.
Wilbyc67

Post by Wilbyc67 »

Hi I am a granddaughter of A.E. Wilby. It's my ambition to own one of their saddles. I had no idea there were any grandsons!!!!???
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Wilbyc67 wrote:Hi I am a granddaughter of A.E. Wilby. It's my ambition to own one of their saddles. I had no idea there were any grandsons!!!!???

Not brilliant but at least it's a Wilby. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-Rare ... SwcaZdoYyq
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

I have a NOREX saddle. French, I think. Not in great condition.
nez

Post by nez »

gxaustin wrote:I have a rather poor example of a Mansfield Saddle. Anyone heard of them?
Also Wrights, Ideale and several Brooks.
Wrights is the cheaper version of Brooks. Same company
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

Wright's saddles were always that bit rubbish as I remember.
nez

Post by nez »

Polisman wrote:Wright's saddles were always that bit rubbish as I remember.
I agree
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

Wilbyc67 wrote:Hi I am a granddaughter of A.E. Wilby. It's my ambition to own one of their saddles. I had no idea there were any grandsons!!!!???

Hello, I saw your post tonight, I misremembered it was a great grandson, I dug out an email:

"Thanks. Yes actualy he was my great grandfather . My grandfather, EA Wilby also worked there and also my father used to help there on saturdays as a young boy. They used to make the saddles for Brooks and Wrights under license badged up with their names on them. Regards Dave"

Nice to see a family member on here :)
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

nez wrote:
gxaustin wrote:I have a rather poor example of a Mansfield Saddle. Anyone heard of them?
Also Wrights, Ideale and several Brooks.
Wrights is the cheaper version of Brooks. Same company

Brooks took over two companies; The Leatheries and Lycett. They were amalgamated with Wrights and gradually the Wrights name was phased out, productionwise.
Something I heard about, can't confirm 100% - There was some business manouvering, a struggling Sturmey Archer I think was liquidated and asset stripped, then the assets transferred to Wrights who were then renamed Sturmey Archer.
nez

Post by nez »

Thank you. Impressive subject knowledge