Running / Cycling shoes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
robing

Running / Cycling shoes

Post by robing »

Does anyone know if you can get spd type bike touring shoes that you could run in? Not a marathon, but maybe 5 or 10k's. I'm going rtw for 18 months and love my running so would be good to keep this up.

Tricky as bike shoes tend to be stiff, the opposite of what you want in a running shoe.
paddler

Re: Running / Cycling shoes

Post by paddler »

As a runner as well as a cyclist I'd be very doubtful as to whether there is such a thing. I can't imagine running on a sole with a lump of metal under it, but it will be interesting to see if others have found something.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Take some lightweight running flats - nice to wear in the evening.

Some mtb shoes are quite flexible.
Not ideal for road running but passable for trail running.

If riding then taking a break from running isn't a bad thing.
Some people say you have 10 years hard running before you bodies worn out I'm spacing those years out!!

I've had 9 months off running preparing for lejog and managed to run the otley 10m race in 1h10 which isn't far off what I would have done otherwise.

Cheers James
robing

Post by robing »

I normally take some hot tuna boat shoes, very light but zero cushioning. Despite having had some knee problems I've taken to running and have got some pretty respectable times on 5k 10k half and full marathon. I don't want to lose it all by not running. I'd like to do some park runs in other parts of the world.
pwa

Post by pwa »

paddler wrote:As a runner as well as a cyclist I'd be very doubtful as to whether there is such a thing. I can't imagine running on a sole with a lump of metal under it, but it will be interesting to see if others have found something.

It sounds impossible. A running shoe with a metal cleat under the ball of the foot would be rubbish. Two pairs of shoes are needed, one for each activity. Even without using cleats, a running shoe won't make a very good cycling shoe.

Because of the way they work, cleats need to be just about flush with the bottom surface of a shoe. If they are recessed much they will not be able to engage, so a shoe with a cushioned sole and a deeply recessed cleat would not click in to the pedal. The outside edges of the sole would rest on the pedal edges / axle to prevent that.
paddler

Post by paddler »

robing wrote:I normally take some hot tuna boat shoes, very light but zero cushioning. Despite having had some knee problems I've taken to running and have got some pretty respectable times on 5k 10k half and full marathon. I don't want to lose it all by not running. I'd like to do some park runs in other parts of the world.

I like the idea of a park run in different places. I always try and get a run in wherever I am on trips so that would be good also.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Northwave-Esca ... jgEALw_wcB

How about these closest to a dual purpose shoe I could find.

Cheers James
robing

Post by robing »

Jamesh wrote:https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Northwave-Escape-EVO-SPD-MTB-Shoes_205858.htm?sku=627388&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9fntBRCGARIsAGjFq5FoQe9_2SkI4xzGi6gUI8uVkO4uwwTyVg90fguuGQk2gIpr5WiF_FoaAhjgEALw_wcB

How about these closest to a dual purpose shoe I could find.

Cheers James

Those look great! Just the sort of thing I'm looking for, thanks.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

No problem
I was looking for a size 45 spd touring shoe for under £50!
No chance!!

Cheers James
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Just read your lejog blog great read and rememberng mine last June.

10 days much preferable to 8 days!

Cheers James
robing

Post by robing »

Thanks! I need to update my blog - I've done a couple more tours since then.
freiston

Post by freiston »

As well as a stiff sole being desirable for efficient pedalling, surely you need a sole stiff enough on a SPD shoe to spread the pressure and wouldn't this make the shoe unsuitable for running (as distinct from walking), even if the shoe looks like a trainer/running shoe? If the sole isn't too stiff for running, then wouldn't it be less than suitable for SPD pedals?
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)