Vauxhall Zafira

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
soar

Vauxhall Zafira

Post by soar »

Hi, My wife and I , will be visiting the UK next year , does anyone know if a Vauxhall Zafira will be suitable to carry a bike box, a cardboard type , and two large suitcases.

Thanks . Chris
reohn2

Re: Vauxhall Zafira

Post by reohn2 »

Easily I should think.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

soar

Post by soar »

Thanks for the quick response, someone has suggested the Peugeot 2008 , has anyone got any thoughts about that car . It is substantially cheaper.

Thanks, Chris.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
The Peugeot is more compact than the Zafira with just over half the boot (trunk) volume, but the Peugeot is bigger than some others in the same class. Both have a folding second row of seats to increase that volume
SUVs seem to be trendy here and command higher prices, maybe consider an estate car (station wagon)?
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

People here have gone mad for pretend SUVs which really offer little. A boring estate car offers far more for less.
John
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

My cardboard bike boxes are the fairly standard 140 X 70 X 20. Add maybe 10 on any dimension to cater for variations - unless you go for the huge boxes used for electric bikes.

Search on the web for car dimensions. Not so easy as they insist on giving volume, but you can normally find someone who mentions length, the only critical dimension.

I got one in the back of a Ford Focus on my last airport run. These are very popular cars in the UK.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Are you buying or renting?

Any decent sized estate or MPV will do the job

Zafira c max or touran,

Astra, focus, golf estate.

If coming from the states you might find them a little small and tinny

Perhaps a VW Passat or a Volvo V70 might suit?

Cheers James
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Of you want space at a reasonable price the Skoda Octavia is probably unbeatable.
John
peetee

Post by peetee »

One of the problems with modern estate cars (station wagons) is the raked rear hatch that restricts the available height in the rearmost section of the trunk - something that may be an issue if you have to have the bike box upright. The Zafira does not suffer this way and the rear two rows of seats fold totally flat. If you go bigger some vehicles can only accommodate maximum loads when the seats are removed. Not necessarily practical on a hire vehicle and they can be very heavy things to shift.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

Storage capability aside, there's an ongoing safety recall affecting over 400,000 vehicles, after a load of them caught fire from the same fault in the wiring loom.

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/vauxhall ... hird-time/

It's up to you whether or not it stops you from hiring one. But I'd definitely not if the one you're offered falls within the recall criteria.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Citroën Berlingo, take the 3 rear seats out and you've got a van..........or why not just hire a Berlingo or Peugeot Partner van?
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

philvantwo wrote:Citroën Berlingo, take the 3 rear seats out and you've got a van..........or why not just hire a Berlingo or Peugeot Partner van?

That would be my suggestion, my son has one. I have got in two bikes upright plus luggage and still a lot of space for anything else.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Darkman wrote:Storage capability aside, there's an ongoing safety recall affecting over 400,000 vehicles, after a load of them caught fire from the same fault in the wiring loom.

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/vauxhall ... hird-time/

It's up to you whether or not it stops you from hiring one. But I'd definitely not if the one you're offered falls within the recall criteria.

We had 3 and managed to write them all off!

2 were 3rd party fault one was my fault.

Ok if Vauxhall had finished off the design work which they didn't with the fan and also the z22se engine!!!

Cheers James
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

My bike fitted in easily in our Zafira but I had to take the front wheel out to get the tandem in. The upright trike went in complete and upright.