Trek Domane Al 3 vs Pinnacle Laterite 3 - which to buy tomorrow?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Dizzyblonde82

Trek Domane Al 3 vs Pinnacle Laterite 3 - which to buy tomorrow?

Post by Dizzyblonde82 »

Hi, I stopped cycling 6 years ago due to hip/knee surgery and thought I wouldn’t ride again but fortunate to be in the position where I am now ready to get back cycling.

I have visited a number of shops and narrowed the decision down to the following 2 bikes but struggling with the final decision, keeping budget low as I can’t be 100% sure it will work out with me getting back to cycling:

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-la ... e-EV342348

https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-domane ... e-EV340570

The Pinnacle has better group set but not sure about going with Evans own brand. Would appreciate people’s thoughts.

Thanks
gbnz

Re: Trek Domane Al 3 vs Pinnacle Laterite 3 - which to buy tomorrow?

Post by gbnz »

Evans have been making their own bikes for long enough, that I'd presume that it'd be a perfectly decent ride. And as you say, has a higher level groupset. That said, I prefer the look of the Trek so would go for it on that basis :wink:

That said, it's cycling fitness which makes the real difference. If you feel a need to keep budget to a minimum, a much cheaper machine from Decathalon or Halfords wouldn't make any appreciable difference
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

The size range is more extensive for the Trek, even though this is a budget item the correct bike fit is still valid especially as you "stopped cycling 6 years ago due to hip/knee surgery". Your local Trek retailer may offer a sizing and bike fitting service that could be invaluable, many offer sizing fits that are then complimentary if you purchase the bike from them. Evans may also have an experienced member of staff that may also be able to help regarding sizing, although in fairness that's not their business model where as with a smaller local bike store it often is.
Last edited by Paul Smith SRCC on 8 Jan 2021, 10:05am, edited 4 times in total.
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

gbnz wrote:Evans have been making their own bikes for long enough, that I'd presume that it'd be a perfectly decent ride.

I don't think Evans have ever made their own bikes. Just a bit of historical anorackism.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

jimlews wrote:
gbnz wrote:Evans have been making their own bikes for long enough, that I'd presume that it'd be a perfectly decent ride.

I don't think Evans have ever made their own bikes. Just a bit of historical anorackism.

Apologies, Evans have sold their own brand bikes for long enough...........(NB. Rather like most of the own brand products we buy from British companies, the product is actually made elsewhere. Just wish that British cycle touring company making it's own bikes and wheels, could gain the skills to paint and true them properly. Never had problems with my Taiwan made frame or wheels :wink: )
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

Are you sure the gears go low enough? Many people on here buy bikes with compact double 50/34 chainsets only to find the gears are too high for hills. This may be a significant issue if you have knee problems.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

gbnz wrote:
jimlews wrote:

Apologies, Evans have sold their own brand bikes for long enough...........

AIUI 'F.W. Evans' branded frames were not made by any one builder, but whoever Evans happened to be using at the time. A bit like Condors...?

Pinnacles seem alright to me, for what they are. They are of course often the wrong thing for the person that bought them, but that is not the bike's fault per se.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
scottg

Post by scottg »

jimlews wrote:

In the late 1930s he (F.W. Evans)devised a frame layout jig that allowed any frame design to be checked for practicality without doing a drawing. One of these jigs was still in use until recently by Tom Board because it worked so well!

FW also received the CTC Silver Plaque, for inventing the screw adjustable dropout.

source..
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/de ... evans.html
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++