sweating

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mattsccm

Re: sweating

Post by mattsccm »

I can't start cold, I am walking out of the house. I freeze for the first mile as its downhill. Flat for 5 miles then down for a mile then up for a mile. Half mile into the first flat I have gone from shaking with cold to soaking with sweat.
Same just now. 2 degrees outside. I am in lifa vest and thin cycle jersey. Cold but sweating.
Good thing is that I never feel too hot.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Taking on some of your advice,I,ve now got a brynge string shirt and a gore windstopper.The shirt works for me,under a polartec 100 layer and gilet.I,m just getting damp patches now rather than a sodden baselayer.Not at all sure about the windstopper though.Baselayers pretty sodden so not ideal.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

since getting a Gore windstopper (amazing bit of kit) if its 5 deg +, I'll wear a thin s/s cycling top, with a pair of bib tights and the windstpper, and I'm just right, but i carry a gillet, just in case. Often find myself pulling the sleeves up, and this aids cooling massively. If its less than 5 deg, I'll wear an extra outer layer, prob an old retro 1980's Dutch acrylic knit jersey, but this comes off when I get too warm. i don't sweat in the windstopper, If I do, I'm wearing too much.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I've been cycling ( cycling the 30miles round trip to work ) for 4 years now and only catching on to the " start cool " ( read start cold ) technique. It seems to work better. On other journeys I still carry an extra long sleeved top to change my base layer if I need to stop. I don't like my arms hands neck or feet getting cold so wear thicker socks -- Snickers rigger gloves and found wearing a bandana round my neck handy since I can pull it up to muffle the cold air arriving through my mouth and nose.

I also hate my ears getting cold so I wear a Balaclava -- don't like the ski type that crush your nose so I have a portwest cs20 cold store open faced type. Temperatures less than 4 degree c I take the car.
I am here. Where are you?
KM2

Post by KM2 »

You used to be able to get vests with a nylon inner face and cotton outer face( tchibo) or polypropylene inner with a wool outer face (helly hansen) The sweat moved to the outer layer, so giving a reasonable feeling of dryness. Better than wearing two vests of those materials.
Personally for below 4C, I use a Buffalo cycle shirt as the only garment, excellent. If you sweat, then simply remove partially, at the cafe, and shake. Sorted.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Devold still do merino base layers with a technical lining. They are woven together, as far as I can tell.

I'd be surprised if Helly Hansen don't have something similar, though I don't recall seeing it recently.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

KM2 wrote:You used to be able to get vests with a nylon inner face and cotton outer face( tchibo) or polypropylene inner with a wool outer face (helly hansen) The sweat moved to the outer layer, so giving a reasonable feeling of dryness. Better than wearing two vests of those materials.
Personally for below 4C, I use a Buffalo cycle shirt as the only garment, excellent. If you sweat, then simply remove partially, at the cafe, and shake. Sorted.

Interesting
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Does anyone suffer from chronic itching -- days after a couple of hours sweating on the bike? It's like my body is getting all the toxins out via sweat.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cowsham wrote:Does anyone suffer from chronic itching -- days after a couple of hours sweating on the bike? It's like my body is getting all the toxins out via sweat.

There are a number of possible reasons...

The most likely is: Sweat opens the pores & may make you more sensitive to external things. I had sporadic sweat-related itching & I resolved it by switching to an unscented washing powder. Similar things can happen with soaps or shower gel, if you shower afterwards.

Some people have a sweat allergy, but that usually occurs minutes or hours after sweating, and also often results in hives.

If it bothers you, it may be worth asking for a referral to a dermatologist.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

Any merino t shirt or base layer for me. The beauty of taking them on a tour is that they don't really retain the smell of sweat, and it's only noticeable after about 4 days! :lol:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

you need to have gene therapy so you dont sweat; you too can be like Andy Pandy :twisted:
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Cowsham wrote:Does anyone suffer from chronic itching -- days after a couple of hours sweating on the bike? It's like my body is getting all the toxins out via sweat.

Question Do you Bath or Shower?

I find that I get very itchy if I shower after a ride But not so much if a have a long soak in the Bath.
I've been told that the salt in the sweat blocks up the pores and that is what causes the itching.
A long soak in the bath allows the pores to fully open and the salt to dissolve but in a shower they don't or don't for long enough.

Hope that makes sense.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

So I am not the only one who itches after a shower. Have wondered why.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

nigelnightmare wrote:

Question Do you Bath or Shower?

I find that I get very itchy if I shower after a ride But not so much if a have a long soak in the Bath.
I've been told that the salt in the sweat blocks up the pores and that is what causes the itching.
A long soak in the bath allows the pores to fully open and the salt to dissolve but in a shower they don't or don't for long enough.

Hope that makes sense.

Always shower - so there maybe something in that -- also found I itch where I've had tight clothing like where the straps of the backpack are on my shoulders -- had a lot of trouble on the top of one of my ankles, it was like a worm burrowing it's way down to the bone -- had it for two years. I twigged it started around the same time I started cycling to work -- cured by a low cut type shoe - the tongue was rubbing where the ankle bends. Put double base cream on which seems to keep itching ( red like acne spots but turn into a real mess whether you scratch them or not ) at bay. Doctor had diagnosed all sorts of stuff from ringworm to varicose eczema but seems all his diagnosis were wrong.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Think I've worked it out about the itching. Vorpal has hit the nail on the head up thread. I switched to a non Bio sensitive skin laundry detergent called Surcare. Seems to have alleviated most of the symptoms.

I think Vorpal is right about the sweat reacting with whatever residue is left in the clothes after washing in certain detergents especially at places where the clothing rubs due to movement or pressure. Sides of knees, front of lower shin, outsides of elbows, shoulders where straps of backpack sit etc.

Very disturbing itchy spots since 2017 but think I'm getting the sorted now. Took me this long to figure that out.