Heights of lights.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
JohnW
Posts: 6292
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Heights of lights.

Postby JohnW » 26 Nov 2019, 11:39pm

Please educate me. I know that this information is available, but perhaps someone would save me the trouble - as a friendly gesture among friends :D :D :D
Minimum height of rear and front lights on bikes?

Brucey
Posts: 36822
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Heights of lights.

Postby Brucey » 27 Nov 2019, 12:24am

https://www.cyclinguk.org/lighting-regulations

note that

- there is (apparently) no minimum height for a front light. Max =1500mm
- the range of permissible rear light heights (350-1500mm) is not the same as the range of permissible rear reflector heights (250-900mm).

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

pwa
Posts: 11273
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Heights of lights.

Postby pwa » 27 Nov 2019, 7:46am

I wonder why 1500mm max height for front. That seems very high.

User avatar
Gattonero
Posts: 3641
Joined: 31 Jan 2016, 1:35pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Heights of lights.

Postby Gattonero » 27 Nov 2019, 8:03am

The 1500mm maximum height has to be for helmet-mounted lights, obviously has to be a tall person with an upright riding position.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 47831
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Heights of lights.

Postby Mick F » 27 Nov 2019, 8:05am

Penny farthing?
Big high-wheeler?
Mick F. Cornwall

pwa
Posts: 11273
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Heights of lights.

Postby pwa » 27 Nov 2019, 8:26am

Gattonero wrote:The 1500mm maximum height has to be for helmet-mounted lights, obviously has to be a tall person with an upright riding position.

I don't think a light mounted on your head counts as bike lighting. Officially. It has to be fixed to the bike to count.

rjb
Posts: 3568
Joined: 11 Jan 2007, 10:25am
Location: Somerset (originally 60/70's Plymouth)

Re: Heights of lights.

Postby rjb » 27 Nov 2019, 8:35am

Or a high bike.
Has anyone ridden one?,. I've seen a couple, passed the opposite way by a pair doing a UK coast tour.
945499979.jpg
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

mattheus
Posts: 1453
Joined: 29 Dec 2008, 12:57pm

Re: Heights of lights.

Postby mattheus » 27 Nov 2019, 10:06am

pwa wrote:
Gattonero wrote:The 1500mm maximum height has to be for helmet-mounted lights, obviously has to be a tall person with an upright riding position.

I don't think a light mounted on your head counts as bike lighting. Officially. It has to be fixed to the bike to count.


Yup, I'm pretty sure that's right.

__________________________________________________________

Mick F wrote:Penny farthing?
Big high-wheeler?


I'd guess it's for the Penny; they've been around a bit longer, there's lots more of them, and some high-wheelers are way higher than 1.5m anyway (see picture!)

Brucey
Posts: 36822
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Heights of lights.

Postby Brucey » 27 Nov 2019, 11:56am

common practice was to hang a lantern in the middle of the big wheel, so that it would show a red light to the rear and a white light to the front.

Image

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hamster
Posts: 3296
Joined: 2 Feb 2007, 12:42pm

Re: Heights of lights.

Postby hamster » 27 Nov 2019, 12:09pm

WOW, thanks for that! Lighting and refilling the lantern must have been fun!

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 47831
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Heights of lights.

Postby Mick F » 27 Nov 2019, 2:25pm

Those spokes look a little corroded methinks.
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 13884
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, car park of England

Re: Heights of lights.

Postby gaz » 27 Nov 2019, 4:31pm

mattheus wrote:I'd guess it's for the Penny; they've been around a bit longer, there's lots more of them, and some high-wheelers are way higher than 1.5m anyway

Can't be. According to Halfords* cycle lighting has only been a legal requirement since 1988.

*So it must be true :wink:

User avatar
freiston
Posts: 691
Joined: 6 Oct 2013, 10:20am
Location: Coventry

Re: Heights of lights.

Postby freiston » 27 Nov 2019, 4:36pm

gaz wrote:
mattheus wrote:I'd guess it's for the Penny; they've been around a bit longer, there's lots more of them, and some high-wheelers are way higher than 1.5m anyway

Can't be. According to Halfords* cycle lighting has only been a legal requirement since 1988.

*So it must be true :wink:

Also from the same link, "Lights also need to be 1500mm off the road ". So it's not just the local branch that is prone to doing things wrong.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)

mattheus
Posts: 1453
Joined: 29 Dec 2008, 12:57pm

Re: Heights of lights.

Postby mattheus » 27 Nov 2019, 4:40pm

If you get a bike from Halfords and the lighting setup seems a little odd, now you know why!

:)

JohnW
Posts: 6292
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Heights of lights.

Postby JohnW » 27 Nov 2019, 8:37pm

mattheus wrote:If you get a bike from Halfords and the lighting setup seems a little odd, now you know why!

:)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: