Heights of lights.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
JohnW

Re: Heights of lights.

Postby JohnW » 27 Nov 2019, 8:41pm

Brucey wrote:https://www.cyclinguk.org/lighting-regulations

note that

- there is (apparently) no minimum height for a front light. Max =1500mm
- the range of permissible rear light heights (350-1500mm) is not the same as the range of permissible rear reflector heights (250-900mm).

cheers

Thanks Brucey - somehow I knew you'd be the first to answer.
And thanks to everyone else for taking the time and trouble to answer.
And as for Halfords..................... :( :shock: :cry: :oops: :roll:

drossall

Postby drossall » 27 Nov 2019, 11:02pm

gaz wrote:Can't be. According to Halfords* cycle lighting has only been a legal requirement since 1988.

They don't know what they are talking about (as I think you know). The requirement for front lights long pre-dates WWII. The CTC were famously involved in a debate during WWII, when the requirement for rear lights was introduced. It happened because blackout requirements meant that car front lights were dim, so making bikes carry rear lights would help to compensate. WWII happened a little before 1988, for those whose history is a little shaky.

The CTC was not opposed to the extra safety per se, of course, but was concerned that what was proposed as an additional safety measure would quickly become a basic requirement, and so the responsibility for safety would be further transferred from the driver, as source of the danger, to the potential victim. That indeed is what did happen very quickly. Instead of courts saying, "What, he had a rear light, and you still managed to hit him?", they said, "Oh, he had no rear light, so of course you couldn't see him!", even though, at least in principle (and blackouts apart), the assumption beforehand was that drivers could see cyclists without rear lights.

fullupandslowingdown

Postby fullupandslowingdown » 7 Dec 2019, 10:47pm

Brucey wrote:common practice was to hang a lantern in the middle of the big wheel, so that it would show a red light to the rear and a white light to the front.

cheers

I've changed my batteries on the move before (yeah yeah I know - don't do as I do, do as I say :roll: )
Kinda of think that even Ethan Hunt (mission imbecilic) wouldn't change the batteries on the penny fart whilst cycling at 20mph :lol:

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 7 Dec 2019, 11:01pm

freiston wrote:Also from the same link, "Lights also need to be 1500mm off the road ". So it's not just the local branch that is prone to doing things wrong.

"Here's your new recumbent, ready to ride. We fitted a mast from Yachts R Us so we could get the lights high enough."

fullupandslowingdown

Postby fullupandslowingdown » 11 Dec 2019, 6:00pm

Bmblbzzz wrote:
freiston wrote:Also from the same link, "Lights also need to be 1500mm off the road ". So it's not just the local branch that is prone to doing things wrong.

"Here's your new recumbent, ready to ride. We fitted a mast from Yachts R Us so we could get the lights high enough."

Maybe Carfords are actually suggesting that we cycle at least 1500mm off the road, preferably in a ditch or otherwise where we won't interfere with the smooth progress of all their HID and LED belighted car drivers..... :|

Bowedw

Postby Bowedw » 13 Dec 2019, 5:29pm

I seem to remember reading that it became a legal requirement or maybe only a recommendation,that the back mudguard was to be painted white at the rear during the war.

drossall

Postby drossall » 13 Dec 2019, 7:55pm

There's some information here and here.