What happened to the small Roberts that was for sale?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pedalsheep

What happened to the small Roberts that was for sale?

Post by pedalsheep »

There was quite a lengthy thread on this and it seems to have all disappeared! I can understand the seller deleting the listing but surely that doesn't remove the entire thread.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
horizon

Re: What happened to the small Roberts that was for sale?

Post by horizon »

If it was on the For Sale thread it would have auto-deleted after one month (possibly after the last post, not the first). You are welcome to join me in my request that posts on the For Sale thread are deleted after three months, not one.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
diapason

Post by diapason »

Interesting. I was on the cusp of buying that, but I was a bit concerned about the size and also the buyer seemds unable to provide any DEFINITIVE proof that it really was a Roberts - the decal on the top tube looked wonky and there were no others. He also seemed reluctant to give me a frame number.

I may have lost a real bargain, but there was a nagging doubt and it was too far to go and look.
Advena ego sum in Terra
gaz

Post by gaz »

It was on For Sale but had not been inactive for 30 days. OP relisted on 23 Nov whilst the original listing was still active. Mods merged the two threads. There were further responses on the thread post merge.

I do not know what prompted its removal but it didn't auto-delete.
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

Hmmmm. How small would you be interested in? I have a very ridiculously small (16 1/2" if I recall correctly) Roberts tourer that was built for a 5' rider lurking in the garage.
horizon

Post by horizon »

sizbut wrote:Hmmmm. How small would you be interested in? I have a very ridiculously small (16 1/2" if I recall correctly) Roberts tourer that was built for a 5' rider lurking in the garage.

I'd call the police if I were you, 5' or not. :lol:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
diapason

Post by diapason »

Wish I'd known about that one before. I live very close to SJSC and have now bought a Thorn, after searching for a small frame for a VERY long time.
Advena ego sum in Terra
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Graham

Post by Graham »

The seller requested that it be removed from public view. I think he got a bit annoyed by some of the replies.

The bike itself had a brazed on CR badge on the headtube ( I think, but it was only partially visible in one of the photos provided. )
I don't know why he didn't just provide a photo of that.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Graham wrote:The seller requested that it be removed from public view. I think he got a bit annoyed by some of the replies.

The bike itself had a brazed on CR badge on the headtube ( I think, but it was only partially visible in one of the photos provided. )

Are you sure it wasn't a she - from memory the user name was manonlescaut. No matter how much a chap might love Opera would he choose that as a user name?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
diapason

Post by diapason »

Definitely a chap - I spoke to him on the 'phone. Michael, I think.
Advena ego sum in Terra
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Graham wrote:The seller requested that it be removed from public view. I think he got a bit annoyed by some of the replies.

Respectfully suggest that in future cases of this kind, the moderators 'flag up' the vendors request in the post title before the post is removed, then leave the notice on display after the removal of the ad.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Point noted. I'll remember this next time it happens.

In the meantime, if anyone needs to contact the seller about this, then please PM me and I will pass it on.
Halla

Post by Halla »

Now on Ebay, start price £150.

I hope he gets a better price than that.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Halla wrote:Now on Ebay, start price £150.

I hope he gets a better price than that.

Well he has already got 1 bid so I would think he would. The pictures are a bit better than the ones he posted on here and he is prepared to post it so that should help a lot. If you want a small touring bike it's a good buy. If you specifically want it because of the Roberts name it's a bit of a leap of faith with an incomplete set of decals and no history.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.