Stiff and grinding handle bars

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Newb

Stiff and grinding handle bars

Post by Newb »

I have taken the handlebars off and turned the wheel left to right and still get a grinding sound.

Loosened the front wheel clamps (clamps that release the wheel) and the grinding continues.

The steering column (i believe its called that, it attaches to the handlebars) is rusted and i can't access the bearings.

I have to leave this bike outside in the elements and the past month i believe has been raining quite bad.

Any tips, suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.
gaz

Re: Stiff and grinding handle bars

Post by gaz »

Welcome to the forum.

The symptoms you describe suggest a problem with the headset bearings. It may be as straightforward as a re-grease and adjustment, no knowing until you take a look.

There are two main types of headset, threaded and threadless. Procedures for maintenance and adjustment are different for each type, the latter has many sub-categories.

If you are unsure what you have, or how to maintain it, post some pics and you're sure to get some guidance or take it to a local bike shop.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Yeah. Your head set is knackered. Maybe the top bearing if its frequent rain rather than frequent spray but probably both to some degree. Look on line to see what we are talking about. Google " Sheldon brown headsets"
Living outside won't help but a good one, installed with lots of grease should be OK. A cover, even a plastic bag, would help.
Nothing to do with you wheel or bars.
Many type s out there . post a pic or tell us the bike.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Oops, beaten to it. Slow typing :D
pwa

Post by pwa »

Definitely one for the bike shop to deal with unless you are really good with the hands-on stuff. In future you need to make sure the bearings you have are a design with good seals, or you need to keep them greased. Either of those things will mean you can leave your bike out in the rain without worrying about the headset (as the bearings are called).
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

If you have to keep your bike outside get a cover for it; even just a plastic sheet. standing out in the rain will kill your bike.