Smartphone to use with google maps

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
colin54

Re: Smartphone to use with google maps

Post by colin54 »

Could this thread go into the too good to be lost section ?
Some handy info' here for those who have never gone down this route .
Nu-Fogey
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
If I am doing a day ride on new ground.....before my sat nav and mobile phone just a year old (first mobile phone (smart)) I normally print a map just in case.
When I did the wimps with Mick I took a card (fag packet) which I scribbled some road numbers to get me home.
Mick F on seeing my emergency scribbles said "That's Hieroglyphics" :? :lol:
I remember that! :lol: :lol:

Back in old days, I used a Cateye Mity8 to measure distance etc but still needed paper maps.
Then I bought my first Garmin ........... and Edge 305 ........... but still needed paper maps.
Then I bought a Garmin Edge 705 ............. and it had maps in it! :D

Now have an excellent Garmin Montana. All the mapping you could ever need, Ordnance Survey as well. Highly recommended. Massive bright screen and takes AA batteries or Li. Lasts all day.

Paper maps are all very well at home, but you don't need them whilst riding on a bike.
Take a phone if you want, but a Garmin Montana will knocks spots of anything a phone can do for you.
Mick F. Cornwall
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Personally, I'm with Cotswolds on this one, use a sepearate navigation device.

The reason is simple, - as Cotswolds says,. the battery in the phone takes a hammering, which means that when you need the phone in a hurry, maybe in a emergency, it isn't available!

Plus an Etrex is liley to be more ribust than the p-hone, which is best kept in a pocket somewhere out of the wind/rain/cold etc while the nav device sits in its own waterproof case on your handlebars (or in my case, a pocket or saddlebag).

BTW for context - I don't do bike touring, just day rides, and use the GPS for recording rides and in case I get lost, nav is using an OS map. I do use the GPS for walking in the same way - I don't let the GPS tell me where to go, I work that out in my head, for me its much more fun! I did have a smartphone with GPS, sent it back after 3 days, we went out walking, followed the GPS, a few hours later wanted to ring home and - no phone. And no GPS either to find our way back with! But the etrx, I can just pop in a couple of AA batts and revive it.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Conscience wrote:Hi there

Does anyone know of a good Smart phone to use with Google Maps when touring?

Problems I've had in the past have been the batteries running out very quickly and generally slow Internet connection.

My current phone is a Samsung Galaxy S4.

Also might there be a better navigation app that uses less battery?

You might look up the Cartograph app. The app isnt free but quite cheap and uses Andromaps/Mapforge maps that are for offline use and colourful for using in day light. They get updated frequently. The maps are free by the way based on openstreet I believe. Many hikers use them as they show all sorts of paths. I really like this app and the maps ( on my Windows phone ) is available for apple and android

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Cartograph

https://www.cartograph.eu/

it also will view openstreet and opencycle online maps

I think the app is free to try

The problem with Google maps is they are too low contrast for using out in day light whereas Cartograph can use various styles that change what the basic map looks like. I use Tiramisù as it is the most colourful and vibrant just right for use in day light

an example here
https://tartamillo.wordpress.com/tiramisu/#jp-carousel-72
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Conscience wrote:Hi there

Does anyone know of a good Smart phone to use with Google Maps when touring?

Problems I've had in the past have been the batteries running out very quickly and generally slow Internet connection.

My current phone is a Samsung Galaxy S4.

Also might there be a better navigation app that uses less battery?

For touring I find Google Maps has only one useful purpose: marking off campgrounds/shops/other useful places as favourites then saving the desired areas as downloaded maps. This lets you see where you are and possibly where you want to go.
I never plan a route on Google Maps - it is just not good at it for bikes.

As others have said, there are alternative apps. There are many threads with lots of relevant info whether it's about planning apps, navigation apps or dedicated GPS units.

I have found it handy to separate the "planning" from the "following". A badly planned route is a badly planned route no matter how good the navigation device is.

There are many disadvantages to using a phone for navigation other than the battery drain. Visibility in bright sunshine, the need for a dedicated & waterproof case and the pure frustration of trying to use a touchscreen with cold fingers or in rain.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Unfortunately we don't know how the OP wants to use his maps.

Most suggestions are for permanently on, turn by turn mapping. Great if that's what he wants and is prepared to buy another (single use) device. But may I offer another approach:

I use Google maps on my smartphone with no problem because I only rarely look at it. When I leave my hotel I know which way I'm going, but may need to check at a few junctions. Once on the 'road' I can often ride for hours without needing a map. Roadsigns, road kilometre markings, etc guide me. The phone is only brought out at unsure junctions or sometimes to see where I am along the route.

I'm not saying this is for everybody or even anyone else, but it does for me. If you want turn by turn and to record all your route, etc then a satnav is the only answer.

If you just need to occasionally check your route, then you can use your phone, but TURN IT OFF when not needed.

I boight a new smartphone in spring to replace a 7" tablet and ageing Windows phone. I have completed 3 long tours using it. It sits in my bumbag when on the bike. I am thinking of a handlebar mount, for the odd occasions that I need to check it frequently (usually in towns), but undecided at the moment. I prefer to keep it out of sight.

One other advantage is that I only have one piece of valuable equipment to look after (theft from room) and to charge (electric sockets can be scarce in some places).
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Mentioning the price of your chosen device could/ would be useful.

I just looked up one of the recommended satnavs and it is about £400.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Perfectly good etrexes can be had for around £150 simon.
Am intrigued by your lack of need for guidance at junctions. Is this because you tend to use main roads and so are content to follow road signs (mostly aimed at cars) or something to do with the areas you tour in?
I tend to use small roads and struggle to remember more than 2 turns at once.

(By the by, my planned routes on the gps mark turns only)
Sweep
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote:I tend to use small roads and struggle to remember more than 2 turns at once.

My memory has not always been great so I actually tend to have a card on my bar bag or brake cable listing turn directions, route or junction numbers, road names or place names. Example at https://cycle.travel/post/2321

The phone map is available if a junction confuses me despite the cue card.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

rmurphy195 wrote:But the etrx, I can just pop in a couple of AA batts and revive it.

Many GPS units only charge from USB, while you can dump AAs into a phone with a simple USB adapter if needed, so that's not a strong reason to choose one or the other.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:Take a phone if you want, but a Garmin Montana will knocks spots of anything a phone can do for you.

How good is it at texting your location to someone? ;)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mjr wrote:
Sweep wrote:I tend to use small roads and struggle to remember more than 2 turns at once.

My memory has not always been great so I actually tend to have a card on my bar bag or brake cable listing turn directions, route or junction numbers, road names or place names. Example at https://cycle.travel/post/2321

The phone map is available if a junction confuses me despite the cue card.

I used a cue card for years when leading rides. They took ages to put together and had to be double checked to make sure they would make sense on the ground. The discipline of just marking relevant turns (ignoring side roads etc) did carry through into my gps routes though. So not all wasted. I can often pedal 5km between marked points.
Sweep
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mjr wrote:
Mick F wrote:Take a phone if you want, but a Garmin Montana will knocks spots of anything a phone can do for you.

How good is it at texting your location to someone? ;)
:lol: :lol:

I was referring to the navigation and maps .......... but you knew that! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Have a look at the Burrows site.
They do some good deals on factory refurbished units.

My Montana came from them as a refurbished one, and I saved a packet.

https://www.burrowsgps.co.uk
Mick F. Cornwall
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Mick F wrote:Have a look at the Burrows site.
They do some good deals on factory refurbished units.

My Montana came from them as a refurbished one, and I saved a packet.

https://www.burrowsgps.co.uk

Is the montana touchscreen mick?
Sweep