Repurposing old bike parts

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mr Evil

Repurposing old bike parts

Post by Mr Evil »

If you do a lot of cycling, you're bound to end up with a lot of parts that aren't suitable for reuse, but it seems wasteful to throw them away. Inner tubes are a common one. I have used a few of those for suspending hard drives, to damp their vibrations and quiet them, like this:
That's not something I am able to do as much anymore, now that hard drives are becoming obsolete.

I had an aluminium frame lying around for many years that had been retired due to a crack. Recently I cut it up and turned it into wind chimes:
The tubes are hung from a right crank. It's important that the holes for the string are exactly 1/4 of the way down, as the standing waves that make the tubes ring have a node at that point.

A few other things that I've done include bending spokes into hooks for clothes-hangers, and grinding a pair of titanium skewers into chopsticks (sadly they are too short to work well).

What creative ways have you come up with for finding new life for old parts?
peetee

Re: Repurposing old bike parts

Post by peetee »

When I built my wooden garage doors I used an old crankset as handles. I reused spokes as chain tensioners for replacing or removing links on various bikes. Inner tubes wrapped round the frame tubes to protect the paint from chain-slap and cycle park damage. Old wingnuts as coat hangers. Gear and brake inner cables as shelf suspension cables. SIS outers to unblock sinks and fridge drain holes. QR Hubs as tools to fit bottle cage bosses.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Mr Evil wrote:What creative ways have you come up with for finding new life for old parts?

er.... pretty much none! I've used inner tubes as ties for a few things (but nothing as smart as your HD hammocks), they're useful as a protective wrap.

I do try though. I have a few old spokes used as pokey/stirry things. (they're quite good for picking-up and hanging dirty or drying chains). Probably some other simple things like that.

I hate throwing things away, so I love seeing stuff like this. Don't think I've seen wind chimes done like that before :thumbsup:
Ray

Post by Ray »

[img]IMG_0938.JPG/img]
Attachments
IMG_0938.jpeg
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

At one time I had a 5x3 trailer converted to a bike carrier by making up a frame using 3x4 offcuts. The framework and the sides of the trailer were padded using old MTB inner tubes both to protect the bike frames and to help prevent movement of the bikes when under way.

Spokes for all sorts of things - hanging hooks, and even bent to make a thingy for hooking debris out of the U-bend under the bath outlet!

Still have an old accident-bent steel frame haging up in the garage - this does for decoration (I'm loathe to cut it up and use the tunes elesewhere for sentimental reasons, but maybe I will one day, the wind chime idea looks good)
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Had quite a nice thread about this a while back that may be of interest viewtopic.php?f=1&t=129549&p=1347632#p1347632
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

This was for sale on my local FB selling page, a coat hook based around an old TA c/ring
Attachments
Capture.JPG
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Old rims screwed to talk thing stick to grow runner beans up. Also used to keep big bushy plants in shape.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I’ve used an old pair of wheels screwed to a fence, as a trellis. Works very well.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

I've seen a bracelet made out of a gold plated Dura Ace chain before, but it was kinda expensive...
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Camera batteries can be a risk when loose as they can come in contact and overheat

A 1" section of an inner tube forms a cover on the terminal end of the battery making them safe.
Polisman

Post by Polisman »

gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Looks like stuff you don't want made from stuff you can't use :twisted:
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche