Has anyone bought wide shoes recently?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nez

Has anyone bought wide shoes recently?

Post by nez »

I have an old pair of wide touring shoes I use with my frog cleats and they've reached the end of the road. Literally. So much so that I can't put new cleats in them for fear of just mucking up a perfectly good pair of expensive cleats. Of course, as cycling shoe styles seem to change every year i have no hope of finding another pair of the same style. So now I have to play 'hunt the wide shoe' again. Has any fellow big-foot succeeded in finding something suitable recently? Shimano 'wide' are not wide. Giros are all over the place in fittings. Any reliable wide shoe recommendations?
gaz

Re: Has anyone bought wide shoes recently?

Post by gaz »

My size 8s come up wide. I've a couple of pairs of Specialized Tahoe, not sure which years' models, which both fit well.
nez

Post by nez »

gaz wrote:My size 8s come up wide. I've a couple of pairs of Specialized Tahoe, not sure which years' models, which both fit well.

Thanks. I'll take a look. At size 8 the world is your oyster. I'm 11!
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

You could try a Sidi "Mega" shoe. Their add's say about 4mm wider than their normal fitting across the ball of the foot.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
dim

Post by dim »

Have a look at Pearl Izumi X-ALP Elevate Mountain Bike Boa MTB Cycling Shoes
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

cycleruk wrote:You could try a Sidi "Mega" shoe. Their add's say about 4mm wider than their normal fitting across the ball of the foot.

I bought Sidi Mega, but still had to use one of these to make the shoes comfortable. My feet are very wide.

Off the bike I wear shoes by Keen. They cater for those with wide feet.
slowster

Post by slowster »

I think feet can differ quite a bit in shape, so that a shoe that is good for some wide foot shapes is too tight for others.

I have wide forefeet, and find Sidi Mega shoes OK, but a little bit too wide, whereas the standard Sidis are definitely too tight. I also use Keen sandals with cage pedals and toeclips and straps.

Shoes which I think might be worth considering/trying if you can hold of them:

- Shimano XM7. Although as I understand it Shimano shoes are usually narrow, the XM7 shoes (and XM9 boots) are made on a wider last. They have a Vibram sole and are quite chunky and relatively heavy (good for off road use, hike a bike, casual riding etc., but not ideal if you want a lightweight shoe for, say, fast audax riding).

- Lake Extra Wide. Very expensive and I'm not sure of availability in the UK . Lake have a wide fit in addition to extra wide, but I don't think the wide fit is particularly wide.

- Muddy Fox are reportedly wide, and are available from Sports Direct, so it might be possible to try them on in a store local to you.
nez

Post by nez »

De Sisti wrote:
cycleruk wrote:You could try a Sidi "Mega" shoe. Their add's say about 4mm wider than their normal fitting across the ball of the foot.

I bought Sidi Mega, but still had to use one of these to make the shoes comfortable. My feet are very wide.

Off the bike I wear shoes by Keen. They cater for those with wide feet.

Yes my cycling shoes are Keen. But they don’t seem to make them any more.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Spesh have seemed reasonably wide in the past. But I think shoes are worth going out and buying from a shop. I can try one pair on and think they are okay, then try the next half size up and think they are even better. It is worth putting the miles in to get a fitting.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

nez wrote:I have an old pair of wide touring shoes I use with my frog cleats and they've reached the end of the road. Literally. So much so that I can't put new cleats in them for fear of just mucking up a perfectly good pair of expensive cleats. Of course, as cycling shoe styles seem to change every year i have no hope of finding another pair of the same style. So now I have to play 'hunt the wide shoe' again. Has any fellow big-foot succeeded in finding something suitable recently? Shimano 'wide' are not wide. Giros are all over the place in fittings. Any reliable wide shoe recommendations?

Why do you say Shimano wide are not wide. I recently bought a pair of Shimano MT089 which are an e width. They had plenty of room for me. They also do a road shoe on a similar last.
NUKe

Post by De Sisti »

NUKe wrote:
nez wrote:I have an old pair of wide touring shoes I use with my frog cleats and they've reached the end of the road. Literally. So much so that I can't put new cleats in them for fear of just mucking up a perfectly good pair of expensive cleats. Of course, as cycling shoe styles seem to change every year i have no hope of finding another pair of the same style. So now I have to play 'hunt the wide shoe' again. Has any fellow big-foot succeeded in finding something suitable recently? Shimano 'wide' are not wide. Giros are all over the place in fittings. Any reliable wide shoe recommendations?

Why do you say Shimano wide are not wide. I recently bought a pair of Shimano MT089 which are an e width. They had plenty of room for me. They also do a road shoe on a similar last.

I also tried a pair of Shimano wide-fit shoes (don't remember which version) and they were
definately not wide enough for my feet.
nez

Post by nez »

De Sisti wrote:
NUKe wrote:

I also tried a pair of Shimano wide-fit shoes (don't remember which version) and they were
definately not wide enough for my feet.
ditto. It’s what caused me to post to begin with.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I can't wear Shimano, except sandals. The wide isn't wide enough. Some of the Decathlon ones are ok, though.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
jamesofyorkshire

Post by jamesofyorkshire »

Shimano 'wide' are definitely not wide....and Sidi 'wide's might be 4mm wider than their regular offerings, but those are incredibly narrow to start with.

I'm on my 4th or 5th set of Tahoes, purchased when they come up in my size, on the cheap from fleabay. As they're always 2nd hand, they are usually well broken in and wider than new! Win win.
martinn

Post by martinn »

Hi,
I have tried Bonts in the past, they were good for my wide feet, they had a bit of a supply problem, so I had to look at other brands.
I did try northwave wide, and they worked if I sized up.
I now have lake in wide fitting, mx176 works as an SPD shoe.. Yes they are expensive, but they seem to last and are the most comfortable shoes I have tried.
If you are anywhere near Bristol, bike science stocks them.

Martin