Surrey County Council survey

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
roberts8

Surrey County Council survey

Post by roberts8 »

Does anybody realise that Surrey are considering whether to continue allowing the Ride London sportive and pro race to continue. It will be influenced by a survey they are running on their website. I live near Boxhill and we are directly affected by the road closures and are more than happy, I have also ridden the event. If enough people do complete the survey we may be able to counter the very strong local anti cyclist attitude that prevails as I know they are getting people to voice that opinion.

Not sure where else to start this off so apologies if it is in the wrong place.
mjr

Re: Surrey County Council survey

Post by mjr »

surreycc.gov.uk/PRLSurrey
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gaz

Post by gaz »

https://www.surreysays.co.uk/deputy-ceo ... on-surrey/

Thanks for the heads up. I'll spread the word.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

The problem is in my experience SCC Councillors won't listen to anyone who doesn't live in Surrey, and it is the cabinet for the county who are going to decide. I have had responses from SCC Highways though, even if it didn't achieve anything.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I've just been looking at the survey. The questions are fixed with yes/no options. In many cases for me neither "yes" or "no" are correct. Another example - I cycle many days a week but not every day - there isn't an option for that and there isn't anywhere to comment or qualify any answers. It seems they want only answers that fit pre conceived ideas :evil:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

MikeF
I agree it is a badly constructed survey but hopefully lots of support will help edge the decision in favour of continuing.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I watched a short interview with local residents and I had some sympathy with them.
It appears that on Sundays a lot of thoughtless riders ride many abreast and refuse to move over to let residents pass in their cars.
I'm all for getting people out on their bikes but the roads are shared with other users.
We cyclists are always complaining about thoughtless drivers.
Surely the best way would put a speed restriction (20 mph?) on the busy sections and for cyclists not to ride more than 2 abreast?
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

The Ride London event has got the green light for another 10 years. The route may have to change though.
mjr

Post by mjr »

francovendee wrote:I watched a short interview with local residents and I had some sympathy with them.
It appears that on Sundays a lot of thoughtless riders ride many abreast and refuse to move over to let residents pass in their cars.
I'm all for getting people out on their bikes but the roads are shared with other users.
Surely the best way would put a speed restriction (20 mph?) on the busy sections and for cyclists not to ride more than 2 abreast?

I don't understand the above. I am always having motorists driving the whole width of the lane even when on their own and refusing to move over to let me pass, but I don't complain about it because that's how roads are. There is no right of overtaking for residents.

If motorists wanting to overtake when impossible is a problem, surely it would be better to designate the busy sections as Belgian/Dutch-style Fietsstraats so that motorists enter them with realistic expectations, not that cyclists will "move over to let residents pass"?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

mjr wrote:
francovendee wrote:I watched a short interview with local residents and I had some sympathy with them.

I don't understand the above. I am always having motorists driving the whole width of the lane even when on their own and refusing to move over to let me pass, but I don't complain about it because that's how roads are. There is no right of overtaking for residents.

If motorists wanting to overtake when impossible is a problem, surely it would be better to designate the busy sections as Belgian/Dutch-style Fietsstraats so that motorists enter them with realistic expectations, not that cyclists will "move over to let residents pass"?

Simple, low speed limits for the cars and cyclists to ride single file and not treat it as a race.
mjr

Post by mjr »

francovendee wrote:
mjr wrote:If motorists wanting to overtake when impossible is a problem, surely it would be better to designate the busy sections as Belgian/Dutch-style Fietsstraats so that motorists enter them with realistic expectations, not that cyclists will "move over to let residents pass"?

Simple, low speed limits for the cars and cyclists to ride single file and not treat it as a race.

It'd become like a race much more easily if you make people travel one in front of another -and why should cyclists be forced to travel single file while motorists are allowed to travel sociably side by side and talk to each other easily?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mjr wrote:
francovendee wrote:
mjr wrote:If motorists wanting to overtake when impossible is a problem, surely it would be better to designate the busy sections as Belgian/Dutch-style Fietsstraats so that motorists enter them with realistic expectations, not that cyclists will "move over to let residents pass"?

It'd become like a race much more easily if you make people travel one in front of another -and why should cyclists be forced to travel single file while motorists are allowed to travel sociably side by side and talk to each other easily?

The classic two by two club run formation does not resemble a race.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Mike Sales wrote:
mjr wrote:
francovendee wrote:Simple, low speed limits for the cars and cyclists to ride single file and not treat it as a race.

Agreed, but on a narrow road shouldn't the riders move to single file? It would seem the polite thing to do.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

mjr wrote:
francovendee wrote:

If it's imperative to be able to chat when out for a ride maybe a tandem would be the answer :D
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

francovendee wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
mjr wrote:It'd become like a race much more easily if you make people travel one in front of another -and why should cyclists be forced to travel single file while motorists are allowed to travel sociably side by side and talk to each other easily?

Agreed, but on a narrow road shouldn't the riders move to single file? It would seem the polite thing to do.

Sometimes it is best, and in my experience clubs single out. It is a mistake to encourage overtaking when there is not really room.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?