about Father Brown's time travelling bicycles

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mike Sales

Re: about Father Brown's time travelling bicycles

Post by Mike Sales »

pwa wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I recently heard a trailer for he current radio drama about he pilgrim fathers. A woman was speaking about someone being "off their head".

Unlikely 17thC language.

But if they used genuine period language we wouldn't understand half of it.

I think it would be good to cut out modern idioms.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Si

Post by Si »

Yes, i've avidly watched fr browns bikes since the first series. I think that there was a series where he used the v brake equipped one.

I think they have had similar issues with the period trains too....if you want to be really nerdy :lol:

And as for his latin......
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Guns are another source of errors. Funny how semi automatic pistols seem to have magazines that should be about 18" long going by the number of shots fired. I love picking holes in things like this when Mrs mattsccm is trying to watch some violent, subtitled cops and robbers programme.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Si wrote:Yes, i've avidly watched fr browns bikes since the first series. I think that there was a series where he used the v brake equipped one.

I think they have had similar issues with the period trains too....if you want to be really nerdy :lol:......

Many locomotive engines were still in SR livery for years after 1949, often very dirty too
Going to see a film about Thomas the tank soon, thomas goes round the world, already planning to demand a refund :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

When Morse cones to town (Oxford), as well as period correct (to me) cars, I have also seen a truck with the back open, with loads of Morse period(ish?) bicycle stashed in the back. Certainly more period correct than Father Brown's bikes!

I like to notice these things. I read somewhere recently that in Back to the Future when he goes back to the 1950's, and he does an electric guitar solo at the high school prom, the model of guitar wasn't made until 2 years after the date in the film. I suppose at least in this case he could jump into the De Lorean, go forwards 2 years to buy one and then come back.....
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

could it be that Father Brown knows Marty McFly...? :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Paddington Bear in Paddington bear 2 takes a train from Paddington out west.......

Over a high stone viaduct......

Is there such a high stone viaduct on the London to Bristol line...?

Google confirms not and it's actually filmed over the river nidd just outside of Harrogate on the disused railway line to ripley which is now a rather pleasant if a little short cycle way.

Cheers James
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I get the same annoyance when I see a film showing street scenes and the cars driving past are far to new to have been around.
After watching a film I'm now asked by my wife and friends if the cars met with my approval. :oops:
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The TV series gives the appearance of the Cotswolds being almost entirely Roman Catholic. In Chesterton's books Brown was not the pleasant eccentric portrayed. It's known as poetic licence.
John
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Oldjohnw wrote:The TV series gives the appearance of the Cotswolds being almost entirely Roman Catholic. In Chesterton's books Brown was not the pleasant eccentric portrayed. It's known as poetic licence.

yes, poetic licence indeed. I didn't watch most of the first series on the basis that I'd read a few of the originals and didn't feel a strong urge to see it on TV. However the TV creation is a bit more palatable, almost bland perhaps. The Catholicism isn't made a strong point. They have made 90 episodes and will probably make more.

I still can't help expecting Mark Williams to say something like;

" This week, oi 'ave mostly been eatin'....(pauses to look strangely troubled)

… acorns..."

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Yes sad as it is I have commented on this to my good lady.
Particularly irksome as they seem to go to great lengths to get the cars "right" (I am a vintage /classic car fan too)
I think I have spied more than one bike under Father Brown, the one in the picture is very modern thing that everything had been painted black on to make it look the part. I think I have seen a more period machine with a pukka chaincase etc.
PBA

Post by PBA »

Jamesh wrote:Paddington Bear in Paddington bear 2 takes a train from Paddington out west.......
Google confirms not and it's actually filmed over the river nidd just outside of Harrogate on the disused railway line to ripley which is now a rather pleasant if a little short cycle way.
Cheers James

That's Paddington Bear. The fictional bear, living in a fictional London where it's not clear if it's 1950s or 2010s. The same London where people are inextricably accepting of there being a talking Bear living in a Georgian House which most certainly is on a fictional version of Windsor Gardens. Who has been tried and found guilty of theft in a court most normally associated only with humans and at whose trial there was no mention at all of of his rather obvious bear status.

Surely it is entirely logical and consistent that he travels on a steam train over a fictional viaduct? :D
PH

Post by PH »

Mike Sales wrote:I believe period dramas take great care removing things like yellow lines and TV aerials.

I've done some casual work on film/TV location, in the 80's and early 90's. I spent a few weeks in Hay-on Wye where they were filming something to do with the Jarrow March (I know, not very geographically accurate) painting the yellow lines grey in the morning and jet washing them off after filming, crowd control (!) the rest of the day.
But standards have slipped, I was involved with the tent hire for a Dickens TV series, Hard Times, a BBC Schools program. The producers wouldn't accept the winches being hidden behind hessian cloth, but had to hire in block and tackle to replace them with. It cost more than I got paid for the week and no one would have noticed. Well, maybe no one except Brucey :wink:
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

PBA wrote:
Jamesh wrote:Paddington Bear in Paddington bear 2 takes a train from Paddington out west.......
Cheers James

That's Paddington Bear. The fictional bear, living in a fictional London where it's not clear if it's 1950s or 2010s. The same London where people are inextricably accepting of there being a talking Bear living in a Georgian House which most certainly is on a fictional version of Windsor Gardens. Who has been tried and found guilty of theft in a court most normally associated only with humans and at whose trial there was no mention at all of of his rather obvious bear status.

Surely it is entirely logical and consistent that he travels on a steam train over a fictional viaduct? :D

:lol: Don't forget that it's a union rule that all TV train journeys include a viaduct!

I did actually notice this iffy train trip - my excuse is that the train SHOULD have gone almost past my door, so I was paying attention at that point. As it was the bestest film on all Christmas, I chose to continue watching, instead of writing a "Dear BBC ... " green-ink letter
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

One mistake which irritates me, is when sailing ships are shown, as in "Hornblower", is how often the shot includes sails flapping idly for no sailing reason. Such incompetence would not be tolerated in reality.
It really irks a sailor to see the sails not drawing properly, and if they are set correctly would get the helmsman a rocket.
Last edited by Mike Sales on 9 Jan 2020, 3:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?