about Father Brown's time travelling bicycles

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
9494arnold

Re: about Father Brown's time travelling bicycles

Postby 9494arnold » 9 Jan 2020, 3:16pm

Just to add to the Thread Drift, did you know Paddington was the First Cartoon produced (Or so I was told last night)

Sid Aluminium

Postby Sid Aluminium » 10 Jan 2020, 10:11pm

Mary Poppins Returns:
Lin-Manuel Miranda's accent = chimney sweeps on BMX bikes

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 10 Jan 2020, 10:57pm

9494arnold wrote:Just to add to the Thread Drift, did you know Paddington was the First Cartoon produced (Or so I was told last night)

not quite sure what you mean, but seems unlikely to me; 'Paddington' first entered the world in print form, and that was in 1958. I wonder if the person that told you that really meant Rupert the Bear? Has Rupert a claim to be 'first'? ISTR he does, in one respect or another, can't remember which exactly, maybe as the first newspaper strip cartoon or something?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RJS

Postby RJS » 10 Jan 2020, 11:46pm

One thing that irritates me in films/ TV, which are set in days gone by is the actors teeth, they may be dressed in rags, but the all seem to have perfect brilliant white teeth.
Cheers, Rob.

9494arnold

Postby 9494arnold » 11 Jan 2020, 10:10am

My mistake it was Rupert . Brain fade :roll:

jb

Postby jb » 12 Jan 2020, 7:19pm

I'd rather a good plot over good props any day. If a production hasn't the budget to get every rivet right they should endeavour to get it very wrong so that pedantics are too busy choking to make comment on the issue.
Cheers
J Bro

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 12 Jan 2020, 10:30pm

jb wrote:I'd rather a good plot over good props any day. If a production hasn't the budget to get every rivet right they should endeavour to get it very wrong so that pedantics are too busy choking to make comment on the issue.

as mentioned upthread the money argument doesn't entirely make sense because a new pashley (+ black paint) would probably have cost more than an age-correct bike. Mind you there might be insurance implications; in at least one episode Father Brown rides his bike with a passenger sat on the rear carrier, and not every bike would manage that. There's also the issue that they might deem it prudent to have a second identical machine, so that lack of bike (for some daft reason) doesn't hold up the shooting schedule. Probably a duplicate modern machine is simply easier to source than a pair of vintage machines.

cheers

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 13 Jan 2020, 8:33am

jb wrote:I'd rather a good plot over good props any day. If a production hasn't the budget to get every rivet right they should endeavour to get it very wrong so that pedantics are too busy choking to make comment on the issue.

:lol:

Well put Sir!

Si

Postby Si » 13 Jan 2020, 8:02pm

Yeah, the plots can be pretty ropey too.

One thing i'd say in father Brown's favour (and for that matter, the Call the Midwifes I've seen) is that the actors look comfortable on the bikes, unlike some shows where characters who are meant to be regular cyclists wobble all over the place.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 13 Jan 2020, 8:04pm

Si wrote:the actors look comfortable on the bikes, unlike some shows where characters who are meant to be regular cyclists wobble all over the place.

In some shows they wobble deliberately, as quite plain, because that is thought to be funny.

bazzo

Postby bazzo » 13 Jan 2020, 11:24pm

A good business opportunity for someone, television and film companies will pay good money to hire props.

peetee

Postby peetee » 14 Jan 2020, 1:54am

While the pedants are having their voice may I chip on with my pet telly hate; that being the BBC using the same splash noise for something dropping into water be it a pebble, a bus, John Noakes, etc etc.
Don't have a telly now for that reason.....

.....And a few others.

Anyhow. When I was at college in the 80's I did some media studies and the department had a BBC Radiophonics Workshop record with that sound on it as well as many other venerable classis such as Creaky Gate and Footsteps on Gravel.
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

hondated

Postby hondated » 14 Jan 2020, 2:49pm

Oh dear Oh dear you've all got me looking at FB bike more closely now :lol:

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 15 Jan 2020, 1:43pm

oddly enough I saw a newly made episode of FB a couple of days ago and I couldn't help but notice that the brakes were well out of adjustment on FB's bike; the front brake lever was almost back at the handlebar. Perhaps all the black paint has made adjustment impossible...?

cheers

mig

Postby mig » 15 Jan 2020, 2:44pm

and he's wearing black ! :wink: