Most expensive puncture repair

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mjr

Re: Most expensive puncture repair

Postby mjr » 8 Jan 2020, 9:58pm

pete75 wrote:Anyhow if someone wants to spend 200 quid or more equipping several bikes with a repair kit that's up to them not you.

Yep - and if I want to point out a claim or advice is silly IMO that's up to me not you! :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 8 Jan 2020, 9:59pm

brynpoeth wrote:Some people might have ten bikes, but all in working order and in regular use?

until recently i had 6 fully operational steeds, four of which got rotated fairly regularly depending on ride/weather/load. i did have another three but they weren't ridable :(
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 8 Jan 2020, 10:09pm

My LBS charge £40/hr + VAT for labour which I think is about right, whilst I think £7.50 for a tube is a smidge on the high side, £15 for a tube replacement - it's not a 'repair' as such, is about 20 minutes worth of labour incl VAT at my bike shops rate.
These smaller jobs that want doing ASAP can take away from other tasks and I understand why a shop would have a minimum charge of a 15 minute slot for jobs.
either you pay for the convenience or you don't but think about what paying £5 +a tube can actually mean, usually, a loss leader and other things being more spendy, paying lower wages for mechanics, struggling for overheads for a small independent desperate to get local business against the internet/bigger chains.

thelawnet

Postby thelawnet » 8 Jan 2020, 10:49pm

The utility cyclist wrote:My LBS charge £40/hr + VAT for labour which I think is about right, whilst I think £7.50 for a tube is a smidge on the high side, £15 for a tube replacement - it's not a 'repair' as such, is about 20 minutes worth of labour incl VAT at my bike shops rate.
These smaller jobs that want doing ASAP can take away from other tasks and I understand why a shop would have a minimum charge of a 15 minute slot for jobs.
either you pay for the convenience or you don't but think about what paying £5 +a tube can actually mean, usually, a loss leader and other things being more spendy, paying lower wages for mechanics, struggling for overheads for a small independent desperate to get local business against the internet/bigger chains.

I'm not saying it's wrong, though I don't think it takes 20 minutes....

It was just more that my whole experience just made me think 'the world does not need this shop'. When I went in there was someone asking about some kind of bike and the bloke was explaining how you need to spend £2,000 to get a bike, which had me :roll:, and then £22 for something you can obtain elsewhere for £8 (apparently Halfords price, though I'm told they're very keen on upselling - they will do an 'assessment' and then try and get you to spend £100 on servicing).

I guess I'm more annoyed at my stupidity, because I pushed the bike exactly 3 miles to the shop, and for the sake of £13.50 I'd have happily pushed it an extra mile to Decathlon. I think it's different if you are in the middle of nowhere but none of it really makes me impressed with the retail experience.

Yesterday I had a stiff 6mm bolt that I was struggling with. I went to the bike shop to have a look at tools and even if they had had a suitable tool, which they didn't, it would have been about £8.99. Meanwhile a single long-arm allen key is £1.99 on ebay, posted. (As it happens I got the bolt off with the help of a hammer.) So it just makes you think 'retail is a bit rubbish'. And no, I don't particularly care how much their overheads are, because they aren't providing me with anything of value - in today's case if there had been no 'local bike shop' I'd have been happier because I wouldn't have spent £22 on something I can do at home for £3, or in a large retail chain for £8.

thelawnet

Postby thelawnet » 8 Jan 2020, 10:51pm

TrevA wrote:I always leave spare tubes, multitool, repair kit, etc attached to my bike in seat pack and pump on the down tube. That way, you can’t forget them.

I'm hopelessly disorganised. I happened to have a pump with me, but it was a rubbish one that I've now thrown away. I didn't have any tube or levers, though in the past they've certainly been there, I'm of the 'take things out and not put them back' persuasion unfortunately.

PH

Postby PH » 8 Jan 2020, 11:09pm

I have a basic kit on three of my four of my bikes -pump, tube, levers, new repair kit, cheap multi too inc chain splitter, quick link, probably £25 worth, on the forth which is never more than a few miles from home, I just have tube,repair kit, levers and cheap pump, probably £10 worth.
You can still get caught out - after finishing work in the early hours, puncture - manufacturing fault in a brand new tube, glue as hard as concrete in the repair kit... £28 taxi home. You just write it off against the £1,000's saved by cycling in the first place.

Eyebrox

Postby Eyebrox » 9 Jan 2020, 1:11am

I work in a small, independent bike shop. We charge £6 for a Continental inner tube and £4 for a repair kit. I sort the puncture there and then using a new inner tube or a patch from a repair kit (you take the rest of the kit away with you). The cost for either fix is £10 - customer decides. Minor wheel, tyre, brake problems sorted into the bargain. On quiet days, a tenner is often the only money in the till. It can be a hard old game at times.

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 9 Jan 2020, 8:44am

Eyebrox wrote:I work in a small, independent bike shop. We charge £6 for a Continental inner tube and £4 for a repair kit. I sort the puncture there and then using a new inner tube or a patch from a repair kit (you take the rest of the kit away with you). The cost for either fix is £10 - customer decides. Minor wheel, tyre, brake problems sorted into the bargain. On quiet days, a tenner is often the only money in the till. It can be a hard old game at times.

That's not much money for all that work. How does the shop survive?

peetee

Postby peetee » 9 Jan 2020, 9:43am

rjb wrote:
You can put a nail in the coffin here!

No pall bearers needed. Arrive at the grave, quick application of the brakes and its 6 feet under. 8)
Is the back seat for the vicar?
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 9 Jan 2020, 10:19am

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:Anyhow if someone wants to spend 200 quid or more equipping several bikes with a repair kit that's up to them not you.

Yep - and if I want to point out a claim or advice is silly IMO that's up to me not you! :lol:

I agree. You have every right to air incorrect opinions. :lol:

Eyebrox

Postby Eyebrox » 9 Jan 2020, 10:54am

francovendee wrote:
Eyebrox wrote:I work in a small, independent bike shop. We charge £6 for a Continental inner tube and £4 for a repair kit. I sort the puncture there and then using a new inner tube or a patch from a repair kit (you take the rest of the kit away with you). The cost for either fix is £10 - customer decides.

That's not much money for all that work. How does the shop survive?

The thinking is that customers will use the shop as their main go-to place for all things bike related. We trade in loyalty and it works by and large, especially when the nearest Halfords is six miles away and internet delivery charges are creeping up to £3 or £4. I find that people are now phoning round shops to barter prices for repairs. Convenience and personal attention win us more business. We will open early or late to accommodate people working or deliver repaired bikes to customer's homes. It's either that or people go elsewhere. Our regulars never complain about the price. Most jobs are more involved than they appear at the start and so there is no price list to adhere to. Being local in a small community, we'd never survive if service was poor and we overcharged. I think that a lot of posters don't appreciate the hidden costs of running a business.

pwa

Postby pwa » 9 Jan 2020, 11:03am

I bought a bulk lot of Schwalbe inner tubes a few days ago. They work out at £3.50 each, which will therefore be the cost of replacing the leaky old tube on the back of my tourer. I won't charge for labour.

ambodach

Postby ambodach » 9 Jan 2020, 3:13pm

I have 3 bikes and a trike in regular use. One bike and the trike have the same size tyres but not the same valves on the tubes. Each one has a saddle pack attached permanently with a couple of tubes, repair kit and appropriate spanners and tyre levers. I also have a pump each and CO2 inflators. No idea what it all cost but built up over time and I cannot forget anything.

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 9 Jan 2020, 3:27pm

I currently have 5 bikes. 2 road bikes share the same toolkit, I just swap it over before I go out. They both use the same sized tubes, one is 9 speed, one 11, so I have a spare link for both chains.

The tourer, MTB and Brompton all have their own tool kit, with the appropriate sized tubes, as do both of my wife’s road bikes, hybrid and Brompton. All bikes have their own pump, permanently attached to the bike. I keep a stock of spare tubes at home and if I puncture and use a spare tube as soon as I get home from the ride, that way I don’t forget.

Yes, it costs a bit to set all this up, but probably less than £200for all bikes, but this is not spent all at once, £20 here, £30 there. Most pumps are cheap but effective mini pumps from Decathlon, though I have a Specialized Air Tool on both road bikes, and a Topeak Pocket Rocket on the tourer.
Last edited by TrevA on 9 Jan 2020, 3:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

De Sisti

Postby De Sisti » 9 Jan 2020, 3:36pm

thelawnet wrote:Rather foolishly left home with no tube and a poor quality pump. Garage door cable had snapped and got embedded in the tyre. Phone signal was not good so didn't think to call the approx four or five bike shops within 3 miles.

Anyway £15 plus £7 for the tube was the damage at a random LBS

Could you not have changed the tube yourself? Why not have one saddlebag with your tubes, etc
that can be moved from bike to bike?