Most expensive puncture repair

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
thelawnet

Re: Most expensive puncture repair

Post by thelawnet »

De Sisti wrote:
thelawnet wrote:Rather foolishly left home with no tube and a poor quality pump. Garage door cable had snapped and got embedded in the tyre. Phone signal was not good so didn't think to call the approx four or five bike shops within 3 miles.

Anyway £15 plus £7 for the tube was the damage at a random LBS

Could you not have changed the tube yourself? Why not have one saddlebag with your tubes, etc
that can be moved from bike to bike?

I actually have panniers permanently attached to this bike. And there was probably a tube + levers in it at one time, just not this time....
nez

Post by nez »

thelawnet wrote: just not this time....

This always bothers me. I have a little kit I carry from bike to bike, quite a bit more sophisticated than a puncture kit. But of course the whole blinking thing relies on me remembering to do so. I do keep one spare inner tube on each bike, but of course that's not the same.
mjr

Post by mjr »

ambodach wrote:I have 3 bikes and a trike in regular use. One bike and the trike have the same size tyres but not the same valves on the tubes. Each one has a saddle pack attached permanently with a couple of tubes, repair kit and appropriate spanners and tyre levers. I also have a pump each and CO2 inflators. No idea what it all cost but built up over time and I cannot forget anything.

Maybe cannot forget, but do you have no one who "borrows" bits of your kit?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

PH wrote: glue as hard as concrete in the repair kit... .

Which reminds me, I usually buy a new repair kit each new year. Time to
get round to the dept store to get one.

Mike
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

thelawnet wrote:I actually have panniers permanently attached to this bike. And there was probably a tube + levers in it at one time, just not this time....

Yehbut, could you not have asked the shop if you could have borrowed their tyre levers and pump
in order to install and pump up the new tube?
pwa

Post by pwa »

nez wrote:

This always bothers me. I have a little kit I carry from bike to bike, quite a bit more sophisticated than a puncture kit. But of course the whole blinking thing relies on me remembering to do so. I do keep one spare inner tube on each bike, but of course that's not the same.

I am very inclined to forget stuff, but with my puncture repair / multi-tool kit I have no problem. The reason is that I take the same rack top bag whichever of my two bikes I am going out on. I leave the kit in it. The bike goes nowhere without the bag.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

pwa wrote: I leave the kit in it. The bike goes nowhere without the bag.
Me too.
Never go on a bike without the bag.
Mick F. Cornwall
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Mick F wrote:
pwa wrote: I leave the kit in it. The bike goes nowhere without the bag.
Me too.
Never go on a bike without the bag.

And me.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

nez wrote:

I used to do this, but once forgot to switch the bag and had to get rescued, the only time ever.

Now I just have a bag on every bike, and a pump on every bike: multi tool, 2x tubes, puncture repair kit, tyre levers, brake and gear cable.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What's in yours?

Mine has always:
a small Topeak multitool
set of three nylon tyre levers
a cloth
two canisters of CO2 and nozzle
spare battery for my Garmin Montana
emergency £10 note

Depending on which bike addition/subtraction:
two inner tubes - Mercian
two inner tubes - Moulton
short spanner for the rear wheelnuts - Moulton
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

As I said, I have one bag that goes on all my rides. And my kit lives in the bag.

But if I had two bags, I would just have two kits as well. A pump, levers, tube(s), patch kit, multitool, in each bag. So you know if you have the bag you have the kit.
slowster

Post by slowster »

I suspect that the use of single compartment panniers without a side pocket is a factor. Saddlebags and rack top bags are typically used specifically to carry 'bike stuff', and things like tools and tubes are unlikely to be removed from such bags. Panniers are usually used to transport various other items such as shopping, and consequently when emptying them it's all too easy to remove tools and tubes along with everything else and to forget to put them back, e.g. when unloading shopping.

My solution was to carry the tools and tube separately in an underseat wedge pack, but that was not without its own problems, because I would then have to remember to remove the seat pack or its contents and stick them in the pannier when I left the bike locked up.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I have my on-bike-tools in a screw top bottle. It fits into my rear bottle cage and then drink in front cage. I can easily transfer between my 2 bikes. Yes, I know this is seen as an old fashioned solution by some, but it works for me.

Bottle is waterproof and can easily be removed if leaving the bike anywhere dodgy. I also have a small underseat bag, but that has cable lock, mini nylon backpack and poly bag to cover the Brooks.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Most expensive puncture repair was in Japan. I had changed a punctured tube, but then wanted to buy a new one. Small shop searched and couldn't find one. The bloke then said "do you want me to repair that one" - I thought this was just a kind offer. Five minutes later when it was patched he charge me £6.

Cheapest repairs are in SE or S Asia. Usually 50p or less for tube removal, repair, replace, etc. Bargain.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I have my on-bike-tools in a screw top bottle. It fits into my rear bottle cage and then drink in front cage. I can easily transfer between my 2 bikes. Yes, I know this is seen as an old fashioned solution by some, but it works for me.

+1 for 4 bikes