Most expensive puncture repair

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
thelawnet

Most expensive puncture repair

Post by thelawnet »

Rather foolishly left home with no tube and a poor quality pump. Garage door cable had snapped and got embedded in the tyre. Phone signal was not good so didn't think to call the approx four or five bike shops within 3 miles.

Anyway £15 plus £7 for the tube was the damage at a random LBS (which was actually further away than Evans , though Evans was in the wrong direction)

Evans charge £5 plus probably the same for the tube.

I went into Decathlon and they want £8.50 including tube.

Lesson to self: bring a spare tube and functioning pump. Oh and if there are multiple choices, stop, phone and make sure they're not going to rip you off before you head that way...

Anyway at £22 as far as I am concerned we can do without such shops
Marcus Aurelius

Re: Most expensive puncture repair

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

thelawnet wrote:Rather foolishly left home with no tube and a poor quality pump. Garage door cable had snapped and got embedded in the tyre. Phone signal was not good so didn't think to call the approx four or five bike shops within 3 miles.

Anyway £15 plus £7 for the tube was the damage at a random LBS (which was actually further away than Evans , though Evans was in the wrong direction)

Evans charge £5 plus probably the same for the tube.

I went into Decathlon and they want £8.50 including tube.

Lesson to self: bring a spare tube and functioning pump. Oh and if there are multiple choices, stop, phone and make sure they're not going to rip you off before you head that way...

Anyway at £22 as far as I am concerned we can do without such shops

I agree. However, you’d be astonished how many people will just pay it, without even attempting to sort the puncture out themselves, or shop around, or even have any kit for sorting punctures with them.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I always leave spare tubes, multitool, repair kit, etc attached to my bike in seat pack and pump on the down tube. That way, you can’t forget them.

Had a similar incident where I ripped the sidewall of my tyre and the nearest shop was a Halfords, but the tyres were quite reasonably priced.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
dim

Post by dim »

problem at places like Evans, is that they will tell you to leave the bike there and come back in 4hrs (I had a slow puncture in Cambridge and Rutlands told me to leave the bike and come back later as they were 'too busy')

The LBS that I use charges £9 and I feel that is a good price .... they sort it in 5 minutes while you wait
pete75

Post by pete75 »

When my son was cycling to Lincoln he got a second puncture having used his spare tube and with no repair outfit. He went into the bike shop in Sleaford and the shop guy fixed it at no charge - with a patch of course. Guess this is the opposite to the OP's experience though.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

TrevA wrote:I always leave spare tubes, multitool, repair kit, etc attached to my bike in seat pack and pump on the down tube. That way, you can’t forget them.

You can when you take a different bike... unless you have a repair kit attached to each bike but that gets expensive and annoying in at least two major ways.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
TrevA wrote:I always leave spare tubes, multitool, repair kit, etc attached to my bike in seat pack and pump on the down tube. That way, you can’t forget them.

You can when you take a different bike... unless you have a repair kit attached to each bike but that gets expensive and annoying in at least two major ways.

Eh? don't understand how it can be annoying and a reasonable on bike repair kit costs no more than 20 quid so even if you have 10 bikes it's only £200.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:

Eh? don't understand how it can be annoying

Making sure the tubes or patches don't perish, making sure no-one's "borrowed" a bit from any of them, keeping all the tools in good fettle, and so on. And almost no-one has as many copies of their best hex keys as they do bikes.

and a reasonable on bike repair kit costs no more than 20 quid so even if you have 10 bikes it's only £200.

Even if it were so (and I think that's too cheap to get reasonable quality), that's £200 better spent on bike parts!

I'd advise keeping one good toolkit in the saddlebag and move it out on the rare occasion you're riding far without a saddlebag.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Some people might have ten bikes, but all in working order and in regular use?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:You can when you take a different bike... unless you have a repair kit attached to each bike but that gets expensive and annoying in at least two major ways.

Eh? don't understand how it can be annoying

Making sure the tubes or patches don't perish, making sure no-one's "borrowed" a bit from any of them, keeping all the tools in good fettle, and so on. And almost no-one has as many copies of their best hex keys as they do bikes.

and a reasonable on bike repair kit costs no more than 20 quid so even if you have 10 bikes it's only £200.

Even if it were so (and I think that's too cheap to get reasonable quality), that's £200 better spent on bike parts!

I'd advise keeping one good toolkit in the saddlebag and move it out on the rare occasion you're riding far without a saddlebag.

I'd have thought that if someone has ten bikes they use regularly all you describe is as easily done as if they use one bike regularly.

What's a hex key - something used by witches?

£200 quid is under a day's pay or at least it was when I was working. Anyhow if someone wants to spend 200 quid or more equipping several bikes with a repair kit that's up to them not you.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

How can one use ten bikes regularly, does each one go out three times a month? Or could one use several different cycles in one day?
(Just started a thread about this)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Cycling every day in France (no car) all my bikes get used on a regular basis, depending on things like distance, load, speed, and just having fun.
I have a tool roll that contains all my spares, tubes, and a Mars bar, and it gets chucked into the bar bag each day before I set off so I'm never without.
Just a few miles from home and a puncture? - chuck the bike over your shoulder, and walk.

Happy days,
Attachments
For when I'm old and grey .......jpg
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Morzedec wrote:Cycling every day in France (no car) all my bikes get used on a regular basis, depending on things like distance, load, speed, and just having fun.
I have a tool roll that contains all my spares, tubes, and a Mars bar, and it gets chucked into the bar bag each day before I set off so I'm never without.
Just a few miles from home and a puncture? - chuck the bike over your shoulder, and walk.

Happy days,

Is that a Watsonian?
rjb

Post by rjb »

pete75 wrote:
Morzedec wrote:Cycling every day in France (no car) all my bikes get used on a regular basis, depending on things like distance, load, speed, and just having fun.

Happy days,

Is that a Watsonian?

You can put a nail in the coffin here!

At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mjr wrote:

worth the expense in my book - been caught too many times lacking one element or other. As a result each bike has its own pump fitted, size specific tube, levers, patches and multitool in a seat pack - at one point each commuting steed had its own lights too (but i don't do that anymore!) :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!