General degreaser

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
RecumbentRide

General degreaser

Post by RecumbentRide »

I've got a Park tool chain cleaner but I've noticed that even with cheap washing up liquid or Muc-Off neither seem to be able to get rid of road grime effectively. Having recently cleaned my chain I found the rollers in the Park Tool chain cleaner laden with grease/grime that only seemed to come off when I stuck my fingers into the rollers. I would have thought a degreaser like washing up liquid/Muc Off would have desolved the grime but unfortunately no. All that seems to be happening is the crap is being partially moved from the chain to the chain cleaner's brushes.
So can anyone recommend a solution which will tackle the grime that's built up over a period of weeks by breaking it down and therefore allowing it to be removed easily with a little physical agitation. I'm aware this will probably need something very unkind to skin and possibly paintwork if left too long on the bike.
richardfm

Re: General degreaser

Post by richardfm »

Screwfix degreaser https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense- ... 5ltr/88668 has been recommended for use with the parktool chain cleaner. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=129294
Richard M
Cardiff
robgul

Post by robgul »

richardfm wrote:Screwfix degreaser https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense- ... 5ltr/88668 has been recommended for use with the parktool chain cleaner

Another vote for the Screwfix cheap and cheerful stuf : BUT there is a Fenwick's chain cleaning product that, I have found in using, is really effective. It sprays on like a long thin stream of shaving cream (or crazy string!) as you slowly rotate the cranks - leave for 10 minutes - run the chain round the drivetrain a few times and rinse with water, then dry with a rag. Better than the Park/Barbeiri type cleaner boxes.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

Hmm unlike the Screwfix seeing a mixed bag of reviews for the Fenwicks
nez

Post by nez »

I've always used neat Traffic Film Remover. Seems to work just fine.
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

Hmm I've posted in other forums and the screwfix degreaser seems to have fans!! Must be good :)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Read my Cyclone thread. It's a bit long and convoluted though.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=129294

Basically, I bought a Cyclone and used white spirit was ok but the unit became filthy. I bought - on recommendation on here - some soda crystals, and that cleaned it beautifully.

Then, on recommendation on here, I bought some Screwfix degreaser, and it is FANTASTIC.

Chain is perfectly clean, the Cyclone remains clean because you can wash it down the sink and give it a good wash too.

ABSOLUTELY GOBSMACKED

I'm a chain cleaning aficionado and found Gunk in a jar was the best thing to shake your chain in, but the Cyclone together with the Screwfix stuff knocks spots of it.

I mix the degreaser 50/50 with plain water.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bob999

Post by Bob999 »

I tried looking for some 'bio-degradeable' degreasers. The Gunk mentioned above has a 'Green' version and when I've soaked a filthy chain in that, it worked really well. Although, on the other hand, the more I learn about 'bio-degradeable' labels the less stringent they seem; eg the product could take years to break down and/or could still leave toxins after breaking down.

So perhaps a 'bio-degradable' label only means probably not quite as bad as an equivalent product with no such label?
PH

Post by PH »

Bob999 wrote:I tried looking for some 'bio-degradeable' degreasers.

Green Oil do a chain degreaser which comes as a gel though it can be diluted, I haven't tried it.
The local chandlers sells a marine degreaser which is approved to be used on the waterways, or some such, I read the tin a while back when I was there for something else. I'm assuming that's less harmful than the usual stuff.
I don't use any, I wipe a chain with a rag and reapply oil.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

In the process of trying engine degreaser from Aldi. I 'll let you know how it works out
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
robgul

Post by robgul »

Just watch it with the Screwfix stuff - if you you use it neat (I normally knock it down with 3 parts water) in, say, a container that you're going to put parts in it does attack anozied finishes after a while.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good call there.
Thanks for that.
Mick F. Cornwall
jb

Post by jb »

Paraffin in a large jam jar, place chain in jar and shake it about then empty through a coffee filter into another jar use for several chains then burn in a paraffin lamp to keep the pipes from freezing in the shed. Leave chain to drip dry then wash in soapy water, dry. and oil.

PS don't use the paraffin in your favourite primus as it will block up. :-)
Cheers
J Bro
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

^ The "Sheldon Shake" (I doubt that he invented it, but that has become the widely used term!)
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

How 'environmentally friendly' is the screwfix stuff? Can it go down the sink?