General degreaser

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mattheus

Re: General degreaser

Post by mattheus »

geocycle wrote:How 'environmentally friendly' is the screwfix stuff? Can it go down the sink?

The product page (linked above) has a COSHH sheet link. (My interpretation is that you shouldn't, and it should definitely be diluted; but the sheet is a bit vague on this ...)

I think it's reasonable to assume stuff that CLAIMS to be bio-degradable (& from a reputable source) is nearly always much better than a chemical with no such claims. I'm sticking with the stuff that makes the claims for now. I'm sure I'll go to eco-heaven : P
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

geocycle wrote:How 'environmentally friendly' is the screwfix stuff? Can it go down the sink?
Yes ............... though not good for water courses. Don't wash it down the river. :wink:

It's water soluble and water based.
I mix mine 50/50 with tap water, though it would be fine if even more diluted I'm sure.
Neat, it feels and smells soapy.
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mattheus wrote:^ The "Sheldon Shake" (I doubt that he invented it, but that has become the widely used term!)

Why not try his ultimate chain cleaning method? :wink:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

White Spirit(WS) can be used over and oever and over again,by using in a chain scrubber such as the Wledtite one Ive been using for about 20 years,or the shake in a jar method,I'm currently using an empty EcoVer fabric softener bottle which has a wide enough top to easily get the chain out after cleaning,and when turned upside down fits in the wider top of a jam jar or similar* to drain.
The WS is then left to settle in the jam jar with the lid on until clear where it has the colour of bitter beer.It then can be used over again and again and again infinitum with almost no waste.
The plus with WS is that it needn't be washed off after use,just wipe the chain through an old towel,then hang up on a nail outside for 5 or 10 minutes to dry off whilst cleaning the rest of the drivetrain,refit chain and lube up :)
I occasionally use Astonish degreaser from a squirty bottle for really mucky cassettes and mechs but it's strong stuff so needs care and protective gloves.I bought 12×500ml squirty bottles off Ebay years ago and still have about eight left so not much waste there either.
I've also found the Anstonish degreaser kills weeds too :)

*I've found pasta sauce jars ideal.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

I've got a chain cleaner similar to the Park one but got it years ago from Lidl or Aldi. £3.99 I think and it even came with a spare set of brushes. Use Kerosene in it because it works well plus there's a 450 gallon tank of the stuff in the garden.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote:The WS is then left to settle in the jam jar with the lid on until clear where it has the colour of bitter beer.It then can be used over again and again and again infinitum with almost no waste.
T

Be careful where you keep it then :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

pete75 wrote:Be careful where you keep it then :wink:
I'm well aware of this issue, and I keep my 50/50 Screwfix stuff in water bottle.
I'm on the lookout for a decent glass bottle with a screw top ......... a normal wine bottle is a bit big. The bottle needs to be of something that looks like it shouldn't be drunk. We don't have kids about, so it's not really an issue, but it would be good if I had a "special" bottle for it as it's probably poisonous to consume.
Mick F. Cornwall
jb

Post by jb »

pete75 wrote:
mattheus wrote:^ The "Sheldon Shake" (I doubt that he invented it, but that has become the widely used term!)

Unfortunately not possible on modern chains as they're not re-rivitable. Best to replace all the outer plates with quick links thus ensuring full accessibility.
Cheers
J Bro
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

All chains can have a quick link. Made for all makes and all widths and speeds.
Modern chains or otherwise.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:The WS is then left to settle in the jam jar with the lid on until clear where it has the colour of bitter beer.It then can be used over again and again and again infinitum with almost no waste.
T

Be careful where you keep it then :wink:

I'll make a note :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Mick F wrote:Good call there.
Thanks for that.

Made your day mick?
Your screwfix stuff will last way longer, even with your obsessive cleaning :)

Will get some myself when my current stuff has run out.

Thanks for the info rob.
Sweep
PH

Post by PH »

The two things don't always go together, plenty of stuff we're permitted to pour down the sink isn't environmentally friendly, including most washing powders.
If it's a question someone is concerned with, I'd start with the idea that everything causes some harm and look for the one that causes least, though the information isn't always easy to find. There's also the quantity V's quality argument, if you end up using gallons of ineffective eco cleaner instead of a pint of nasty chemical, have you really made any difference?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

jb wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Unfortunately not possible on modern chains as they're not re-rivitable. Best to replace all the outer plates with quick links thus ensuring full accessibility.

Sheldon's $249.99 deluxe kit contains 57 SRAM power links :wink:
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Mick F wrote:
pete75 wrote:Be careful where you keep it then :wink:
I'm well aware of this issue, and I keep my 50/50 Screwfix stuff in water bottle.
I'm on the lookout for a decent glass bottle with a screw top ......... a normal wine bottle is a bit big. The bottle needs to be of something that looks like it shouldn't be drunk. We don't have kids about, so it's not really an issue, but it would be good if I had a "special" bottle for it as it's probably poisonous to consume.

For my shaking cleaning system I use plastic 1 litre fresh milk bottles with screw tops. As sold by supermarkets. Chain will go in and out with only minimal fiddling. Also use for storing degreaser. Not going to mistake for beer as it is kept under the sink or thereabouts, not in the fridge.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Mick F wrote:All chains can have a quick link. Made for all makes and all widths and speeds.
Modern chains or otherwise.

Only up to 9 speed can normally be reused though I think.
Which is fine for me.
Sweep