Gloves for cycling

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mattsccm

Re: Gloves for cycling

Post by mattsccm »

To be honest I find cheap fleece gloves as good as anything unless its slashing down. Also a fan of Venitex work gloves. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Delta-Plus-V ... RPy2KG7JXQ. Not waterproof lined but seem to keep me dry for an hour or so and then the fleece keeps me warm. Snowshepheard have taken the idea and developed it nicely as well.
Sealskins etc work but as with all waterproof gloves can be sweaty . Plenty of other out there. Fit is as important as brand.
nez

Post by nez »

I suffer from terrible cold hands - maybe Reynaud's our practice nurse reckons. The tip I can offer is take two or maybe more pairs of gloves on any substantial ride in the wet. Just swap them over when they're wet through. Dry warm hands. Bliss.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

nez wrote:I suffer from terrible cold hands - maybe Reynaud's our practice nurse reckons. The tip I can offer is take two or maybe more pairs of gloves on any substantial ride in the wet. Just swap them over when they're wet through. Dry warm hands. Bliss.

I have the same problem, and use these (rather expensive) - a magic solution.

https://www.blazewear.com/our-gear/glov ... love-inner
mjr

Post by mjr »

nez wrote:I suffer from terrible cold hands - maybe Reynaud's our practice nurse reckons. The tip I can offer is take two or maybe more pairs of gloves on any substantial ride in the wet. Just swap them over when they're wet through. Dry warm hands. Bliss.

Related tip: make sure you put the cuffs of the gloves inside the cuffs of the coat, so water runs off the sleeve and not into the gloves. It's the difference between gloves wet through in ten minutes and two hours steady rain.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

https://www.alpkit.com/products/frazil- ... nter-glove

I swear by these. [Note to mods: not literally]. They are £35 and there is a waterproof version for another £15.
John
dim

Post by dim »

I have the Sealskinz Extreme weather heated gloves :

https://www.sealskinz.com/gloves/cw-heated-cycle-black.htm

expensive and costs £150.00 ....

I found them on the road a while back .... very good with 3 heat settings and completely waterproof .... even when you turn the heat off they are hot (too hot and only used when the temp dips below 0 )
nez

Post by nez »

I find ‘waterproof’ a bit of a moveable feast as far as gloves are concerned. Marigolds and similar are definitely waterproof but not warm. Everything else has a degree of waterproof ness which decays. It’s the speed of the decay we pay for. By the time my second pair of gloves are soaked the waterproof-ness of my trouser/bib crutch is more of a concern :shock:
whoof

Post by whoof »

silbchris wrote:Hey everyone!

I'm always checking in and out of this forum for advice on the best places to find parts for my bike or outdoor clothing.

Now we are properly into winter I'm looking for some decent gloves. Some which have a good grip, warm but also protect against the driving rain when out and about. I was looking at these gloves here!

Anyone got any good recommendations? They can't be too expensive.

Cheers,
Chris

Planet X currently have 4 different pairs of gloves for sale all at below £10. Some or all might not fit all of your requirements but worth a look.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/deals/top ... da32f6894f
I have a draw full of gloves for almost all weather conditions rather than one pair to do it all. For instance I've got a pair of the crab claw ones and they only get used when the temperature drops below zero as they are too warm the rest of the time.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

I'e just bought a job lot of gloves for myself and my grandkids from Polaris direct from their website, as little as £5 gets you a winter pair as well as some other full fingered autumn/spring jobs, there's a fair few for kids on there as well. £50 order gets free postage, I added a couple of neck gaiters (Also £5) and some boys jerseys - yup a fiver, and easily made up the amount and more :D
dim

Post by dim »

these are also OK ....

BRITISH ARMY MITTENS / GLOVES - DPM - EXTREME COLD WEATHER - THERMAL ... used/army surplus and costs a tenner

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-ARMY-MITTENS-GLOVES-DPM-EXTREME-COLD-WEATHER-THERMAL-USED/262194500157?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Camouflage! Won't show up well.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Windproof and relatively thin on the palm are the most important things for me. Some of the decathlon ones are good in this regard, also have Craft. The px lobster claw ones are very warm but a bit unwieldy. If you really want to go over the top get some pogies for really cold weather. I got some cheap neoprene ones from ali express. Of course road position and behaviour are the best way to indicate intent but hi viz and reflective gloves make it easier for drivers to see hand signals when you do make them.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Oldjohnw wrote:Whatever the choose, the wisdom here is, apparently, to make sure that they are black! :D
Mine are black, but they have reflective strips on the back. Hopefully they shine in motorists' headlights when I'm signalling at night.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

MikeF wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Whatever the choose, the wisdom here is, apparently, to make sure that they are black! :D
Mine are black, but they have reflective strips on the back. Hopefully they shine in motorists' headlights when I'm signalling at night.

My winter gloves - as illustrated above - are black on the back and the palms, which no-one can see, are yellow.

How does that work?
John