Gloves for cycling

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
silbchris

Gloves for cycling

Post by silbchris »

Hey everyone!

I'm always checking in and out of this forum for advice on the best places to find parts for my bike or outdoor clothing.

Now we are properly into winter I'm looking for some decent gloves. Some which have a good grip, warm but also protect against the driving rain when out and about. I was looking at these gloves here!

Anyone got any good recommendations? They can't be too expensive.

Cheers,
Chris
tim-b

Re: Gloves for cycling

Post by tim-b »

Hi
I don't suffer with cold hands and I don't like waterproof gloves because I find that they don't "breathe" and I end up with the fingers full of sweat. My preference is windproof gloves and there are some suggestions here...I've got the Carnac Ultimate, but the Ultimate Windblock might suit you better. You'll find that cycling gloves tend to be thinner than some outdoors gloves because you'll need a bit of dexterity to change gear accurately, but they're fine once you get going and produce your own heat. EDIT I tend to choose a size larger
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

My Crane/Aldi gloves - £6.99, are as good as any other gloves I’ve owned. Not very waterproof but you can wring them out, and good down to about 2 degrees, you might need liners below that. I have some £50 Sealskinz and they are no better. I have some Planet X gloves too, but I’ve always found the thumbs are too short in their gloves. As you may have guessed by the number of pairs I own, I continue to search for the holy grail in gloves and haven’t found it yet.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

+1 for px from me
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I usually wear manual handling gloves
https://www.knightsuk.com/products/glov ... dling/glxx
cant vouch for the Web sit. probably in screw fix for about 1.99, great for anything above about 0c then I switch to lobster mitts for anything below that
NUKe

Post by Sweep »

TrevA wrote:My Crane/Aldi gloves - £6.99, are as good as any other gloves I’ve owned. Not very waterproof but you can wring them out, and good down to about 2 degrees, you might need liners below that. I have some £50 Sealskinz and they are no better. I have some Planet X gloves too, but I’ve always found the thumbs are too short in their gloves. As you may have guessed by the number of pairs I own, I continue to search for the holy grail in gloves and haven’t found it yet.

+1
I tend to thing that as in so much other cycling gear, layering is the answer.

I have some cheapo aldi ski gloves and they are very good but not waterproof.

And are light coloured - kinda 80s coloured - too light so show muck.

Can anyone recommend good top layer waterproof gloves?

I have some Polaris supposedly waterproof gloves but only wear them when I feel I really have to - way too sweaty.

So my search/holy grail is focussed on el cheapo layering.
Sweep
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

A 'skinflint' remedy is thick woolen gloves with marigold washing up gloves over the top for when it rains.
Be sure to tuck them under the cuff of waterproof coat or they'll fill with water.

Caveat: marigolds not very durable.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Altura Night Vision. Don't know if these are still sold with lining gloves. If they do, they are more effective worn without the liners.
Tight or close fitting gloves conduct heat away from the hands and hold sweat close to the hand. Better with looser fitting gloves that allow a bit of air space between the glove and the hand.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Whatever the choose, the wisdom here is, apparently, to make sure that they are black! :D
John
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

The key to keeping your hands warm, is to maximise the skin to skin contact of the fingers inside the gloves. So lobster mitts / light ski mitts are the best choice for this.

I have a pair of these

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ad-d-ski-lo ... 43275.html

They are brilliant at keeping my hands warm. It takes a bit of practice to get things right on the road bikes ( with Brifters ) but I tend to use the Hybrid on the sorts of rides where I need them anyway.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

bogmyrtle wrote:Altura Night Vision. Don't know if these are still sold with lining gloves. If they do, they are more effective worn without the liners.
That (the liners work well on their own on milder days) or lobster style when it's really cold. I have a pair of the Berghaus gloves linked to by the OP, but for walking - not windproof, and not that warm IME, plus I like something with a more robust palm for cycling.
"42"
mjr

Post by mjr »

Oldjohnw wrote:Whatever the choose, the wisdom here is, apparently, to make sure that they are black! :D

Well, it shows the dirt less, so is more acceptable when arriving at the office. I know someone with light blue gloves and they have to wash off the slightest smudge else it catches the eye. However, my current Decathlon ski mittens are actually a dark grey back which isn't too bad. The fake-leather-style palms are staring to break up after about two winters so I expect to get only one more from them.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Oldjohnw wrote:Whatever the choose, the wisdom here is, apparently, to make sure that they are black! :D

Yes - you'd think that manufacturers would know better.
Some so called cycling gloves are yellow/white/reflective on the back, but remain black in the palm.
The whole of the glove needs to be hi-viz to be effective.
mjr

Post by mjr »

JohnW wrote:

Some so called cycling gloves are yellow/white/reflective on the back, but remain black in the palm.

The manufacturers do know better than you, it seems. The yellow/white/reflective stuff is just fashion and has no effect on safety.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

mjr wrote:
JohnW wrote:

The manufacturers do know better than you, it seems. The yellow/white/reflective stuff is just fashion and has no effect on safety.

mjr - :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: