Where I can get Newk Bar ends

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jac

Where I can get Newk Bar ends

Post by Jac »

The bend is such that they can turn a straight bar into a semi drop but have been unable to get a set.
SJS no longer stock them and I have done the usual internet searches but cannot find an importer.

Does anyone know where I can get these bar ends please - or have some they would like to sell - or suggest an alternative.

Help would be appreciated - thanks
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

As I recall when I was trying to track some down - they are no longer made and the company went out of business. They were an interesting idea being a combination of standard bar ends and "drops" allowing flat bars to be more versatile. Shame they are no longer available.
johnmac

Post by johnmac »

I always wondered if they were likely to stress the flat bars to such an extent that something would fail?
glueman

Post by glueman »

johnmac wrote:I always wondered if they were likely to stress the flat bars to such an extent that something would fail?

Possibly, I always felt they'd underestimated the role of fashion in bike choice i.e. MTBers expect one look, roadies another and never the twain. Bar design must be one of last bastions of conservativism, a few TT and urban fixed shapes not withstanding, and Newk were either ahead of their time or missed the target with their bolt on cure.
Jac

Post by Jac »

Thanks for the replies - I dont think they should stress the bar any more than ordinary bar ends bolted on - although the torque is probabaly greater - and I have been told they dont look very elegant and are very 'clunky'.
SJS said they were no longer in production but I thought there might be the odd pair lurking somewhere that I could try.

I thought they might be a possible solution to the problem off a twist gear change, which wont go around any bended bar at all, with a drop bar riding position.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Jac

I only ever saw these things in the SJSC ads., and they looked a bit of an abomination to me which may be why they never caught on. (The funny thing is, 20+ years ago when mountain bikes were just getting going in the UK, I predicted to an enthusiastic retailer showing me some bar-ends that the neuk thing would be invented and we would eventually all be back to dops. At least I was half right.)

Tyhere was some discussion on here fairly recently on ways of overcoming the twist grip change on drops, but I cannot remember the tile or who posted.

Perhaps this will smoke out somebody with some neuks for sale, or somebody will remember the earlier thread.
glueman

Post by glueman »

My wife's Cannondale came with twistgrip changers on the end of drops. Some mountainbikes in the mid-80s used drop bars. Now't new under the sun.
If it's appropriate SJSC do a twist connection that fits on the stem for Rholoff and could prob be adapted for other types of changer.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Jac

Post by Jac »

Thanks for the link TC - should have remembered this thread - will explore other solutions to fitting twist grip on some sort of drop bar.
The gale force winds have been so dreadful in these parts of late have really missed the drops for long rides.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Jac,

I have some Newks'. Only had them a few months. Been on one bike briefly, but since changed the bars over. Now nicely taped up with black handlebar tape.

If your interested,I'll send some pics' over and we can discuss a price. I'll probably have no need of them now.
Jac

Post by Jac »

thanks pioneer - have sent a pm