Bike gear for bigger folk?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Darkman

Bike gear for bigger folk?

Postby Darkman » 24 Jan 2020, 10:44am

Hello

I'm quickly discovering that if you want some proper bike gear, then even in the supposed-sizes of 4XL you've still got to be about as thin as an anorexic stick insect. I do sweat quite a bit so I hate wearing just a regular t-shirt as it ends up feeling damp, then cold, and completely unpleasant, ruining the experience of being outside.

I found Fat Lad at the Back's site but they seem hellbent on pushing their own branding all over their stuff, and it isn't even discrete, which I don't like. Being the 'fat lad at the back' is precisely what I do not want to be so the last thing I want is a bloody great label plastered across my backside.

So it seems that you're pretty much stuck if your waist is much more than 40". I mean, I'm rapidly heading that way but still slightly the wrong side of the fence.

Ideas (other than "wait a bit longer")?

Hudson1984

Re: Bike gear for bigger folk?

Postby Hudson1984 » 24 Jan 2020, 10:55am

maybe not what you're after but have you tried any mountain bike gear - usually baggier/less form fitting so perhaps they have a better range.

Trouble is most cyclists are small in general so I guess they sell to the common demand (not me! i'm a fellow tubby) I take a 36" waist and use all Altura gear which always fits me well - the jersey has got a bit tighter of Christmas though...

Darkman

Postby Darkman » 24 Jan 2020, 11:01am

Yeah, definitely looking at the baggy options (my bike is a Specialized MTB) - not sure the MAMIL look is really me! :mrgreen: Just looking at some Altura stuff now and they reckon 2XL goes up to 40.6". Still probably a bit of a squeeze as I'm about 42" currently. But that's down from 54" seven months ago.

pwa

Postby pwa » 24 Jan 2020, 11:37am

I don't have quite the slender figure I might like and I do manage to get good, comfortable clothing by going towards an MTB look with a shirt that doesn't cling, and baggy shorts. Still in "technical" materials and cut with cycling in mind.

I particularly like a Fox shirt I have which looks and feels very much like a soft cotton but is actually a material that dries a lot quicker. But I can't find it online anymore. But do look at casual / MTB stuff.

pwa

Postby pwa » 24 Jan 2020, 11:44am

This may be the fast drying material I was thinking of. Size in 2XL looks good.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/fox-racing-red ... ine-tee-1/

PH

Postby PH » 24 Jan 2020, 11:46am

Well done on the shrinking waistline, hope you can keep that up.
I'm normally an advocate of buying quality and less of it, but it strikes me that anything you buy now isn't going to fit for long, so I'd be looking at budget stuff. My first port of call for base layers and maybe a bit more would be TK Maxx, there's often technical clothing in there. Then if you have one near you, Decathlon own brand stuff comes in proper sizing. It doesn't have to be cycling specific, some of my favourite clothing to cycle in has come from Rohan, for the budget equivalent try Trespass or Go Outdoors.

pwa

Postby pwa » 24 Jan 2020, 12:02pm

These shorts are pretty good on the bike.

https://www.evanscycles.com/endura-humm ... i-EV292257

Outlaw13

Postby Outlaw13 » 24 Jan 2020, 12:21pm

PH wrote:Decathlon own brand stuff comes in proper sizing.

Yep. I’d check Decathlon out if you have one near you.

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 24 Jan 2020, 12:29pm

https://fatladattheback.com/

These guys cater for larger sizes.

robgul

Postby robgul » 24 Jan 2020, 12:50pm

Have a look at the Funkier brand stuff - seems to be quite big from my experience with quite a few garments

Rob

Darkman

Postby Darkman » 24 Jan 2020, 12:52pm

@Outlaw13 - already looked on Decathlon and they have some stuff I wouldn't mind a closer inspection of. Sadly I'm in South Lincolnshire, the nearest three stores are a four-hour round trip away. :( I know you can get stuff delivered from there to Asda but I really need to be trying this stuff before I buy it.

@Marcus - thanks - already seen them but as mentioned in my first post I don't like their "in your face" branding, plus they're a bit on the pricey side.

Looking at all the other stuff mentioned.

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » 24 Jan 2020, 1:45pm

Marcus Aurelius wrote:https://fatladattheback.com/

He mentioned them in his first post.

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 24 Jan 2020, 2:28pm

thatsnotmyname wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:https://fatladattheback.com/

He mentioned them in his first post.

Yes, and?

100%JR

Postby 100%JR » 24 Jan 2020, 2:29pm

Darkman wrote:@Marcus - thanks - already seen them but as mentioned in my first post I don't like their "in your face" branding, plus they're a bit on the pricey side.

I think that's all part on the tongue-in-cheek FLAB branding....to be in your face :lol:
I had some of their kit when I was about 4 stone heavier and the fit is both flattering and comfortable.It's actually designed for larger riders and not just a larger version of regular kit.I have a mate who's 23st+ and even he looks OK in it!The "spare tyre" range is very good if you're larger around the middle than the chest.IIRC it goes up to 60" waist.
I suppose it depends on budget but personally I don't think they're too bad on pricing.
When i was 16st I never had any issues with MTB kit.It's just designed to be looser fitting.

xerxes

Postby xerxes » 24 Jan 2020, 2:50pm

'Bike gear' is overrated and overpriced. Tracksters/T shirts/thermal vests/shorts are all fine. Just vary the number of layers according to weather.