Bike gear for bigger folk?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
thatsnotmyname

Re: Bike gear for bigger folk?

Postby thatsnotmyname » 24 Jan 2020, 2:51pm

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
thatsnotmyname wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:https://fatladattheback.com/

These guys cater for larger sizes.

He mentioned them in his first post.

Yes, and?

So he's already aware of them, so you didn't need to tell him again. Hope that helps.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 24 Jan 2020, 3:10pm

This topic does come up from time to time.

The first thing as that clothes made for cycling are not necessary for most folks. If you wear padded shorts or underwear, you obviously want to be able to get those, but otherwise, most clothes made for active use (hiking, climbing, skiing, etc.) are useable for cycling. The one possible problem with using stuff that isn't made for cycling, is that sometime tops & jackets aren't long enough to cover the lower back on a bike. Fashion has changed in the last few years, though, and jackets and shirts alike, tend to be a little longer, especially at the back. So, you might try places like TK Maxx, the warehouse type outfitters for stuff that can be used on the bike.

Also, see these previous threads for ideas, though some of the links on them are no longer valid
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69284&p=594876
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77351&p=717901
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

RickH

Postby RickH » 24 Jan 2020, 3:41pm

Marcus Aurelius wrote:https://fatladattheback.com/

These guys cater for larger sizes.

Th OP mentioned them & (understandably) didn't want to be plastered with their logos.

Having said that, the majority of their jersey designs only have subtle sleeve or collar logos. They do a "stealth" version of their bibshorts without logos & the MTB shorts only have a smallish logo on on leg (A black permanent marker would soon stealthify that if it bothered you). Personally I prefer the style of road jerseys as I like the pockets in the back rather than the MTB style without, generally necessitating a backpack for odds & ends (& I prefer bottles over a bladder drinking system). YMMV.

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 24 Jan 2020, 9:22pm

As a “Big Lad”, I do wear Fat Lad at the Back, they do a Stealth range which has their logo but doesn’t actually have any Fat Lad lettering, so only those in the know will know. They are cut for the more generous figure too. I also have a Funkier long sleeved top that is 5XL and fits well on my 48” chest. Decathlon also do clothing in larger sizes. There others too such as Prendas Ciclismo that do large sizes. You won’t have as much choice as a smaller person, but you can often pick up a bargain in the Sales, as larger sizes don’t sell as well.

https://www.prendas.co.uk/collections/w ... -clearance
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

tim-b

Postby tim-b » 25 Jan 2020, 7:04am

Hi
Have a look at Planet-X, they're cheap enough and their Clubman bibshorts (for example) are a "relaxed" fit. I'm not too big but I have some short-sleeved jerseys in 3XL, whereas the Clubman shorts are fine for me in L and go beyond that to 43" waist
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~

pwa

Postby pwa » 25 Jan 2020, 8:52am

xerxes wrote:'Bike gear' is overrated and overpriced. Tracksters/T shirts/thermal vests/shorts are all fine. Just vary the number of layers according to weather.

With clothing not specifically for cycling you just need to check that the combination you are wearing is not going to leave the waistline exposed at the back. You need trousers / shorts that won't creep down and shirts that are long in the body.

LittleGreyCat

Postby LittleGreyCat » 25 Jan 2020, 2:33pm

Might be worth a wander around Mountain Warehouse.
The do reasonably priced clothing in performance materials.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 12 Feb 2020, 8:21pm

Darkman wrote:@Outlaw13 - already looked on Decathlon and they have some stuff I wouldn't mind a closer inspection of. Sadly I'm in South Lincolnshire, the nearest three stores are a four-hour round trip away. :( I know you can get stuff delivered from there to Asda but I really need to be trying this stuff before I buy it.

@Marcus - thanks - already seen them but as mentioned in my first post I don't like their "in your face" branding, plus they're a bit on the pricey side.

Looking at all the other stuff mentioned.

You can return any Dectahlon stuff for free at any Asda. Just get several sizes and return what doesn't fit.