Titanium seatpost

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
100%JR

Re: Titanium seatpost

Postby 100%JR » 4 Feb 2020, 10:33pm

dim wrote:get any seatpost but then get a Brooks C17 Cambium Carved saddle with 28+mm wide tyres on lower pressure .... that's what makes comfortable on any bike be it steel, aluminium, carbon or Ti
pwa wrote:
dim wrote:get any seatpost but then get a Brooks C17 Cambium Carved saddle with 28+mm wide tyres on lower pressure .... that's what makes comfortable on any bike be it steel, aluminium, carbon or Ti

I have a C17 Carved saddle but I reckon my previous Titanium Flite gave a softer ride.
pwa wrote:I reckon flexy saddle rails (eg Brooks Titanium Flite) will give ten times more springiness than a titanium seatpost. If you want springiness, that's where to put your money.

I can't decide whether to fit a Ti or Carbon post to my Lynskey build and have been told to go for a Brooks saddle by more than one person.I get why they're so highly regarded but why are all Brooks saddles so ugly :| OK I realise that it's all about comfort but if the saddle is going to let the rest of the bike down I'm not ready to throw £150+ at one :shock:

pwa

Postby pwa » 5 Feb 2020, 6:06am

100%JR wrote:
pwa wrote:

I have a C17 Carved saddle but I reckon my previous Titanium Flite gave a softer ride.
pwa wrote:I reckon flexy saddle rails (eg Brooks Titanium Flite) will give ten times more springiness than a titanium seatpost. If you want springiness, that's where to put your money.

I can't decide whether to fit a Ti or Carbon post to my Lynskey build and have been told to go for a Brooks saddle by more than one person.I get why they're so highly regarded but why are all Brooks saddles so ugly :| OK I realise that it's all about comfort but if the saddle is going to let the rest of the bike down I'm not ready to throw £150+ at one :shock:

Ah, aesthetics, it's personal to you so I can'y say you are right or wrong. Big Brooks saddles like a B17 can look like a big lump on a skinny bike, even though they work very well. On a racy bike where the saddle is higher than the bars the shallower profile of a Titanium Swift looks a lot less lumpy when viewed from the side, and if you ever follow someone riding one you will see the the rails flex as they go over bumps. The saddle actually acts like suspension. Visibly.

I have a long carbon post on a bike and to be honest it feels no different to an alloy post. Any comfort benefit is in the imagination.
Last edited by pwa on 5 Feb 2020, 2:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

100%JR

Postby 100%JR » 5 Feb 2020, 8:41am

pwa wrote:Ah, aesthetics, it's personal to you so I can'y say you are right or wrong. Big Brooks saddles like a B17 can look like a big lump on a skinny bike, even though they work very well. On a racy bike where the saddle is higher than the bars the shallower profile of a Titanium Flite looks a lot less lumpy when viewed from the side, and if you ever follow someone riding one you will see the the rails flex as they go over bumps. The saddle actually acts like suspension. Visibly.
I have a long carbon post on a bike and to be honest it feels no different to an alloy post. Any comfort benefit is in the imagination.

I take it the Brooks Ti Flite is discontinued?I can't seem to find a reference/photo anywhere?

pwa

Postby pwa » 5 Feb 2020, 2:38pm

100%JR wrote:
pwa wrote:Ah, aesthetics, it's personal to you so I can'y say you are right or wrong. Big Brooks saddles like a B17 can look like a big lump on a skinny bike, even though they work very well. On a racy bike where the saddle is higher than the bars the shallower profile of a Titanium Flite looks a lot less lumpy when viewed from the side, and if you ever follow someone riding one you will see the the rails flex as they go over bumps. The saddle actually acts like suspension. Visibly.

I take it the Brooks Ti Flite is discontinued?I can't seem to find a reference/photo anywhere?

Sorry, not Flite (where did I get that from?), Swift. But having looked, the only version I can see is with steel rails, which won't spring as much. The original version had titanium rails and was the springiest saddle I've had. Form the side the leather body looked shallower than say a B17, so less out of keeping with a sporty bike.

Got it.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/saddles/bro ... dle-black/
I once did the Bryan Chapman ride (620km) on one and my backside was surprisingly okay at the end. I normally suffer on long rides.

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 5 Feb 2020, 5:29pm

I have a B17 Special in both steel railed and titanium railed versions and I can't say that I've noticed any difference in springiness between the two. I am quite light so that might influence it.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.

100%JR

Postby 100%JR » 5 Feb 2020, 8:52pm

pwa wrote:
100%JR wrote:

Sorry, not Flite (where did I get that from?), Swift. But having looked, the only version I can see is with steel rails, which won't spring as much. The original version had titanium rails and was the springiest saddle I've had. Form the side the leather body looked shallower than say a B17, so less out of keeping with a sporty bike.

Got it.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/saddles/bro ... dle-black/
I once did the Bryan Chapman ride (620km) on one and my backside was surprisingly okay at the end. I normally suffer on long rides.

The Cabium range look much better but still not sure:-
https://www.brooksengland.com/en_uk/sad ... mbium.html
Of all the Leather saddles the Swallow is not that bad:-
https://www.brooksengland.com/en_uk/sad ... allow.html
I've only ever associated Brooks with leather saddles so the Cambium stuff has come as a surprise.

pwa

Postby pwa » 5 Feb 2020, 9:30pm

100%JR wrote:The Cabium range look much better but still not sure:-
https://www.brooksengland.com/en_uk/sad ... mbium.html
Of all the Leather saddles the Swallow is not that bad:-
https://www.brooksengland.com/en_uk/sad ... allow.html
I've only ever associated Brooks with leather saddles so the Cambium stuff has come as a surprise.

The Cambiums, while branded as Brooks, are made in Italy by their parent company. They look more modern so I think aesthetically they are probably closer to what you like. Side-on they look shallow and flatish. They look good. They look expensive. I have a C17 Carved and it is pretty good, although I wouldn't want to go far on it without padded shorts. It has a bit of spring.

nez

Postby nez » 6 Feb 2020, 11:09pm

Mr Evil wrote:
robgul wrote:...it's not going to rust or corrode in any way...

The seatpost itself won't, but some titanium frames have aluminium inserts in the seat tube. The presence of a titanium seatpost against the aluminium in an area that may get quite wet can result in the aluminium corroding.

Then you need Duralac, which is used on boats to inhibit corrosion between dissimilar metals.

mikeymo

Postby mikeymo » 20 Feb 2020, 8:13pm

My next seatpost will be titanium (if I can't find steel). Definitely not aluminium. Because fatigue limit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatigue_limit

The risk may be small, but a quick search on "broken seatpost", may give you food for thought. Especially the pictures.

pwa

Postby pwa » 20 Feb 2020, 8:17pm

mikeymo wrote:My next seatpost will be titanium (if I can't find steel). Definitely not aluminium. Because fatigue limit:

The risk may be small, but a quick search on "broken seatpost", may give you food for thought. Especially the pictures.

Had two so far.

mikeymo

Postby mikeymo » 20 Feb 2020, 8:23pm

pwa wrote:
mikeymo wrote:My next seatpost will be titanium (if I can't find steel). Definitely not aluminium. Because fatigue limit:

Had two so far.

Two what? Broken seatposts, or titanium seatposts?

Or broken titanium seatposts?

pwa

Postby pwa » 20 Feb 2020, 8:45pm

mikeymo wrote:
pwa wrote:

Had two so far.

Two what? Broken seatposts, or titanium seatposts?

Or broken titanium seatposts?

Broken seatposts :lol: Both ally. Neither resulting in an embarrassing trip to A&E.

tim-b

Postby tim-b » 21 Feb 2020, 6:43am

Hi
I can't decide whether to fit a Ti or Carbon post to my Lynskey build

I don't think that there's much to choose between them; the CF will match the fork and the Ti will match the frame, but the one to avoid is aluminium because there is a greater risk of corrosion. I'd choose Ti if I was thinking of attaching luggage to the seat post because it'll better resist rubbing by straps, etc. Comfort-wise the saddle will be more important
(I) have been told to go for a Brooks saddle by more than one person

It depends who you talk to, this forum is more traditionally steel, leather and long-lasting (nothing wrong with that) but I've only had one leather saddle in 50+ years of cycling and I got bored waiting for that to be broken-in. It'll depend on your mileage too; 400k audax and leather holds the advantage, 400k in the rain less so because a leather saddle needs maintenance, use the wrong stuff and it's life will be shortened. A synthetic saddle is often insulated with gel, foam, etc and can cause problems with heat. Horses for courses
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~