Do I need a new bike?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tantalus

Do I need a new bike?

Post by Tantalus »

I've had my alloy framed Giant Defy since 2010.
I've done around 5000 to 6000km in that time, and have fitted a Shimano 105 5700 drivetrain 5 years ago, new wheels, Brooks B17 saddle, wider bar etc so it's a bit of a mish mash! The bike is used for commuting a couple of days a week as well as the odd audax ride.

My question is: is it time for a change? I've been wondering how long I can expect the frame to hang on for before it gets worn out, not that it shows any major signs to worry about. It does look a bit scuffed and battered in places, but again I don't know if its false economy to patch it up as against spending on a more up to date model.
I do like the way I've got the bike set up and it is comfortable to ride so no problems there, though I do quite fancy a lower gear for the hills than the 11-28 casette.
Sentimental attachment and familiarity <= are competing against => up-to-date and smarter? Any ideas gratefully received!
tatanab

Re: Do I need a new bike?

Post by tatanab »

9 years old, 5000km ---------it is still NEW. If you want to change the gearing, then do so. On the other hand, change the question to "do I want another bike?" and you might find you have different answer.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Do you need a new bike? No. Mrs Whoof and I did a 75 miler today she was on her aluminium Giant OCR that she got in 2003 and it's still going strong after tens of thousands of miles. If you need lower gears do a search on here there are many options, change rear mech or add an extender to use a wider cassette or possibly an Alpine double chain-set.
Do you want a new bike? Only you can say.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

If you need to ask the question, the answer is yes!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Fit a long cage rear mech and 11-36 cassette!

My carbon Cannondale is approx 10 years old and still going strong. Has done c2c and lejog.
Has washing line 105 gears but with xt rear mech.

Have spa saddle in it for longer rides. Turbo for shorter rides.

Cheers James
pwa

Post by pwa »

My last commuting / touring bike had a frame that lasted about 19 years and at least 100,000km, so ditching a bike at 6000km after having replaced major parts is just getting fed up with the bike.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

flat tyre wrote:If you need to ask the question, the answer is yes!

But can one thoyle it?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

n+1 of course you need a new bike, everyone needs a new bike lol.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
slowster

Post by slowster »

eileithyia wrote:I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

eileithyia, it was Susan B Anthony who wrote that, not H G Wells.
soapbox

Post by soapbox »

slowster wrote:
eileithyia wrote:I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

eileithyia, it was Susan B Anthony who wrote that, not H G Wells.

Did Wells not say something like "Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I despair a little less for the human race"?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I suppose the question is about how long do alloy frames last until they crack? Had it been a steel frame.... ( mine is 20 years old) Any one have the answer?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:I suppose the question is about how long do alloy frames last until they crack? Had it been a steel frame.... ( mine is 20 years old) Any one have the answer?

There are plenty 20+year old Alu frames about in daily use.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
whoof

Post by whoof »

mercalia wrote:I suppose the question is about how long do alloy frames last until they crack? Had it been a steel frame.... ( mine is 20 years old) Any one have the answer?

It depends on the individual frame. My old touring bike has an Aluminium frame. It was about ten years old when I bought it, I used out for touring for 16 years and for the last three for going to the shops and commuting if it might be icy. I've known a steel frame to have rusted so it looked like a pepper pot after 18 months whereas my steel commuter is 26 years old and has done ~ 100,000 miles.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Tantalus wrote:
My question is: is it time for a change?

I think it is, if not long overdue and not because the frame is alu. AIUI the Defy (I always want to pronounce it Deffie!) is an out and out road bike; but your changes to it and what you use it for seem to suggest you need a different bike altogether that more reflects your needs. Getting that bike might be an interesting process in terms of reassessing how you want to cycle and what you want to do with a bike and might even open up new avenues. I'm not saying that the Deffie (sorry, Defy) isn't fine as it is, just that there might be a different you ready to emerge. I'd suggest a steel Audax bike or even, dare I say it, a Gravel bike. :mrgreen:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
RH20

Post by RH20 »

Your bike has not done a great deal of miles. You say that it is comfortable to ride, why change that comfort for something new. The frame might look a bit scuffed, but does it really affect the bike or is it a vanity thing. We might like the look of a pristine new bike, but so do other less moral types, think when it is left locked on a street. Keep riding it, many years from now, if the frame does start to pack in you will know when it needs changing.
With regard to lowering the gearing to allow easier peddling on hills, what size are the front chain rings? If yo have double chain rings that are more than a 50/34 tooth compact then you might consider changing to a 50/34. You will definitely feel a big change on the hills. If you already have 50/34 then you could consider smaller front chain rings. As others have stated you could fit a long cage derailleur and a wider spread cassette. Call in at a bike shop and seek advice on your options for lowering the gearing.
As the old adage goes, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.