e-scooter commuter community

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tangled Metal

Re: e-scooter commuter community

Post by Tangled Metal »

They have one or two brakes depending on model. Disc brakes common but you can get a form of ABS on them too.
reapusmaximus

Post by reapusmaximus »

tatanab wrote:This is not where a cyclist would be. I think the old DfT guidance said to be positioned 0.75 to 1metre from the kerb. Perhaps the sorts of people who would use these scooters are similar to those cyclists who ride close to the kerb.

You are probably right, partly because on a scooter, you don't seem to have the same "presence" as a cyclist, you feel a lot more exposed much like a pedestrian - so it is tempting to hug the kerb. Also I feel obliged to tuck in to allow maximum space for cars to pass me, but that also means I need to veer more dramatically into the road to avoid obstacles. There are a few instances where I have ridden on the side of the road (when footpath was obstructed by parked cars) and the few cars overtaking me on that stretch passed so close I thought they would hit me. The lack of respect for vulnerable road users is quite unnerving.

I'm sure this is a very common issue for cyclists already.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Tangled Metal wrote:They have one or two brakes depending on model. Disc brakes common but you can get a form of ABS on them too.

Ta.

I've never seen an electric one close-up (I could certainly imagine people building them without brakes "cos they're not very fast, and weigh nothing" !)
reapusmaximus

Post by reapusmaximus »

Tangled Metal wrote:They have one or two brakes depending on model. Disc brakes common but you can get a form of ABS on them too.

matteus wrote:I've never seen an electric one close-up (I could certainly imagine people building them without brakes "cos they're not very fast, and weigh nothing" !)

I would be first in line to sign the petition to get anything like that banned. Even unpowered kick scooters need some kind of brakes...

My version has a magnetic brake on the front and friction brake (foot-lever) at the back. It stops well enough but I think the front brake should be supported by a proper disc brake at the rear for more intuitive braking. The magnetic brake is pretty good for deceleration as a % of original velocity but doesn't quite bring you to a dead stop fast enough IMO. However I believe it does recover the kinetic energy on some models.

If I decide to make a serious commitment to using an e-scooter longer term, I will have a very specific list of specs to target on my next model. Hopefully by then we will be closer to having an approved standard that most manufacturers adhere to as at present there are many toy versions on the market that really are not fit for riding past the garden gate.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Reapus: why do you not cycle?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Barks

Post by Barks »

Hi repusmaximus Barks here - I personally have no objection to these scooters being used in the road and I am pretty sure in time they will be given proper legal status in some shape or form. My point is that you appear to be wary of cycling or using your scooter on the road yet are quite prepared to use it on pavements and paths which will inevitably be intimidating to pedestrians at the speeds you want to travel at. You clearly have no real understanding of the speeds you are quoting and the idea that you could “Just jump off your scooter at 20kph” just further reinforces the impression that you have given regarding your consideration of others. Again I plead, please desist using your scooter on pavements and put your energy into campaigning on behalf of getting legal status for the type of machine you have. I reiterate, personally I have no particular objection to seeing these type of machines being used on roads and, if they operate to the same powered speed restriction as an e-bike, on cycle paths and shared paths.
millimole

Post by millimole »

Im not an e-user, but can see myself in the market in the next few years.

Two points
Firstly - reigning in the current wide range of different styles, powers, and speeds of the current models, and more importantly the way they are used is going to be a monster task when new legislation is introduced. Currently it's like the wild West, and I don't see new laws changing user behaviour in the short term.

Secondly - its the continuing issue of pavement use. I can see that the tiny wheels of the current models are only suited to pavements. UK pavements in urban areas are unsuited to escooters (or bicycles) - as my wife has become increasingly disabled, I've become increasingly aware of the issues that things on wheels cause the disabled & elderly - yes, I'd include pavement parking in that!
I'd suggest that any new legislation should mandate an escooter wheel design that allows for road use, so that pavement use can be banned.
Pavement use creeps into use of wheeled things onto other unsuitable areas such as canal towpaths, and shopping centres - areas where they don't mix with pedestrians with their minds on different things.

A final bonus thought on helmets. Be careful what is wished for. It will be a slippery slope to mandate helmets on escooters and then for legislators to slip in all bicycle use on the sly (ditto insurance)
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:
reapusmaximus wrote:I tried cycling my 7km commute during the summer and found it sucked; terrible roads, absence of cycle lanes and generally too many psychotic road users.

When they legalise and regulate scooters it's likely to be on the same basis as E-bikes, I can't see them being treated any different, permitted to have faster more powerful motors or go where bikes are not. If so, you're back to where you started, either using the roads and facilities you don't like or using it outside the regulations.
Used responsibly, I have no issue, in exactly the same way I have no issue with riding on the pavement or ignoring traffic regulations. But you don't have to look far to see people acting irresponsibly whatever mode of transport they're using, regulation on it's own isn't going to do anything about that.

I'd agree with most of that except "ignoring traffic regulations" but say some regs such as riding on the pavement occasionally when it's the safer option.

IMHO the times fast approaching when UK law and society is going to have to drag itself into the 21century,e-bikes/scooters/hoverboards have to become a legitimate means of travel(with necessary legislation and enforcement )and in some areas,especially city and large town centres almost all private car travel will need to be banished to the outskirts on pollution(bad air,noise,size) grounds alone small single and double person e-travel will fill some of that gap,the rest by public transport.Up to present the UK has been slooowwwwww to realise the dire situation the private motor car has led us to in this respect.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote:Well my then 6 yo son saw a guy riding an e scooter on the pavement and immediately stated that it was not legal but a little more forcefully shall we say! It's never too early to teach the laws regarding the highways. You just have to put it in ways they'll understand.

Does he remark about cars parked on the pavement?
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Reapus: why do you not cycle?

He covered that in his OP.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

simonhill wrote:My main worry riding one of these on the road would be the appalling surface, particularly in the near the kerb area.

I struggle on expedition wheels and 1.6 tyres. I can't imagine riding those tiny wheels on most roads. Will this lead to almost default riding on the marginally better pavements.

Anything less than a 20in wheel with a big air chamber will struggle on a lot of UK innercity roads IMO,and yes it will default to pavement riding out of sheer necessity.
To add to my reply to PH's post up thread the UK are way behind on anykind of alterative and active travel whether that be cycling e-scooters,etc or public transport,the car has been king for far too long,time's fast approaching to do something about it along with decent and effective traffic policing which is sadly lacking throughout the country.
City and town centres are no place for private motors but for a very few exceptions.
Whether the present government will curb the use and parking of cars in inappropriate places and begin to change things in favour of active travel,which must include proper decent infrastructure,surfaces fit for purpose and priority over other most other vehicles is anyone's guess,but if the past 50 years is anything to go by I won't be holding my breath!
UK infrastructure for aspctive rravel is quire literally a disgrace but for the odd good and sparce pocket of good up and down the country.
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I hate cycling my hybrid on pavements +other than flagstones) including many dedicated cycle lanes. Too often they are neglected, overgrown and have tree roots poking through.
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Reapus: why do you not cycle?

He covered that in his OP.

Read that thanks
Still don't understand how using a scooter is much different ('safer') than cycling
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

reohn2 wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Well my then 6 yo son saw a guy riding an e scooter on the pavement and immediately stated that it was not legal but a little more forcefully shall we say! It's never too early to teach the laws regarding the highways. You just have to put it in ways they'll understand.

Does he remark about cars parked on the pavement?

Oh he's quite opinionated about things at times. Good sense of what's right and wrong plus a lawyerly mind for picking holes in arguments. When a grown up academic gets out debated by a 3.5 year old who mirrored their own words against then.... well you have the beginnings of a good citizen imho.

Btw I think he's learnt too much from me who has learnt too much from here. It's why he is very good at spotting illegal acts on roads and pavements. He shares my dislike at cyclists and e scooter riders on pavements they don't have a right to be on. Plus car transgressions.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tangled Metal wrote:Btw doesn't a standard car license allow for riding certain types of powered, two wheeled transport types like mopeds up to certain engine size/ max speed or pedelecs?

Mopeds under 50cc and speed pedelecs only as a learner for those licensed after 2000. Regular pedelecs need no licence. https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/speed-pedele ... uirements/

Why should a lightweight slowish scooter be treated like a heavier dirtier faster moped instead of a heavier faster pedelec?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.