Prescription Sunglasses

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Hudson1984

Prescription Sunglasses

Post by Hudson1984 »

Ok, yes I know the weather is awful at the mo but wondered if anyone can recommend somewhere for cheapy sunglasses.

Not after £300 oakleys or anything like that, just my current sunglasses arent' really going to stay on on the bike so wanted something more cycling specific but ideally cheap.

don't need to be brand name or anything like that. I can go to specsavers and buy cycling - ish, ones but they're pretty pricey being as I don't need any day-to-day ones.
Last edited by Graham on 31 Jan 2020, 7:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title spelling
roubaixtuesday

Re: Pescription Sunglasses

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Got mine from here, very happy with them, but might not be as cheap as you want.

https://www.optilabs.com/product-catego ... unglasses/
Barks

Post by Barks »

Try CE approved safety glasses, clear or tinted they offer full UV protection and impact resistance well above any cycling glasses you’ll buy. Cheap as well. Try www.goggleyes.co.uk for examples (no personal connection other than satisfied customer).
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

What sort of prescription is it you require? If like my friend you just need a reading glass you can get stick on +1.5 to +3 as stick on inserts . If you want A fairly complex one like myself, i.e. Varifocals then just take the Spec savers one as your free pair next time. If you just need single vision lens prescription then have your prescription and buy online
NUKe

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Depends.

Advice from my friendly CX-racing optician is that contacts plus normal bike sunnies is the way to go, but if you can’t or won’t do that, could you get by with normal sunnies and one of those elasticated straps people use when eg. sailing to keep them on?
rjb

Post by rjb »

Call into your optician with your sunglasses and explain the problem. I'm sure they could adjust them for you so they don't slip. Last resort is to use some elastic bands. Just follow a postman for a few houses to find some. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Many places can replace lenses in regular sunglasses. Just remember, the more curved the lens, the more expensive it will be. I picked up some Nike sun glasses and had them put tinted lenses in. The cost was reasonable and they look good
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
CyclingGuy

Post by CyclingGuy »

I bought some from Boots where I get my regular prescription glasses from about a year ago.

They were £60 including single vision lenses and came with five different sets of lenses from clear through to polarising and mirrored.

I did a review on them here - https://cyclinglabs.net/basto-102-cycli ... ses-review

HTH

Neil
Read about my adventures on the British Cycle Quest at: http://www.quest.nwarwick.co.uk
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Hi,

I really do miss wearing a pair of wrap round sunglasses but sadly they're no longer suitable for my eyes as I need varifocals, which for some reason, cannot be done on a wrap round framed glasses.

I'm currently wearing a pair of normal varifocals that is light and is able to go dark when the sun shines. I am looking at cycling glasses that will cover my eyes more, protecting my eyes from the glare of the sun, flies, debris, etc when I'm cycling or skiing. I've tried inserts on my present cycling glasses but they break easily and are being held together with help from superglue. Ideally I'd like to be able to use varifocals for cycling and skiing to help save costs - no point in forking out for two pairs if I can make do with one pair for both activities. As I'm due an eye test, please would someone recommend which opticians to go, the differences between a normal cycling glasses and those that have prizms lenses plus anything I need to be a ware of.

Thanking you in advance.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Gizmo wrote:Hi,

I really do miss wearing a pair of wrap round sunglasses but sadly they're no longer suitable for my eyes as I need varifocals, which for some reason, cannot be done on a wrap round framed glasses.

I'm currently wearing a pair of normal varifocals that is light and is able to go dark when the sun shines. I am looking at cycling glasses that will cover my eyes more, protecting my eyes from the glare of the sun, flies, debris, etc when I'm cycling or skiing. I've tried inserts on my present cycling glasses but they break easily and are being held together with help from superglue. Ideally I'd like to be able to use varifocals for cycling and skiing to help save costs - no point in forking out for two pairs if I can make do with one pair for both activities. As I'm due an eye test, please would someone recommend which opticians to go, the differences between a normal cycling glasses and those that have prizms lenses plus anything I need to be a ware of.

Thanking you in advance.

I also wear varifocals. I have prescription sunglasses, also varifocals. Horribly expensive for the pair but pretty well essential. For cycling I wear my ordinary glasses with wrap around over sunglasses. Cost about £15. A little clumsy but for the cost I can live with it.
John
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

roubaixtuesday wrote:Got mine from here, very happy with them, but might not be as cheap as you want.

https://www.optilabs.com/product-catego ... unglasses/
Me too and I live in the US! I have photochromic prescription bifocal lenses and never need sunglasses. I even used them in the Mojave desert. Do make sure you specify lineless bifocals if that's what you need. I didn't spell that out clearly enough one time and got the wrong kind and they made me pay for the right ones, said it was my fault.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Gizmo wrote:Hi,

Thanking you in advance.

I also wear varifocals. I have prescription sunglasses, also varifocals. Horribly expensive for the pair but pretty well essential. For cycling I wear my ordinary glasses with wrap around over sunglasses. Cost about £15. A little clumsy but for the cost I can live with it.

Thank you but unfortunately my wrap around sunglasses aren't big enough to cover over my everyday glasses. I have photochromic lens in my everyday varifocals glasses but not suitable for cycling or skiing due to flies and debris. Really do need a separate pair for cycling and skiing.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Optilabs.
Been using them for 10+ years.
I now need variofocals and I got mine on offer for £199 IIRC.
I would not even consider wearing my day specs on the bike as they were over £600!
These are my current(will need to replace this year as they're 4 years old in June)

Photochromic/Variofocal.Never used the red strap no need as they've been on some serious MTB DHs and just don't budge 8)
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

100%JR wrote:Optilabs.
Been using them for 10+ years.
I now need variofocals and I got mine on offer for £199 IIRC.
I would not even consider wearing my day specs on the bike as they were over £600!
These are my current(will need to replace this year as they're 4 years old in June)

Photochromic/Variofocal.Never used the red strap no need as they've been on some serious MTB DHs and just don't budge 8)

Wow they do look perfect plus so cheap at £199! My varifocals day glasses were £600 last year so I was dreading that I'd have to fork out similar price hence the reason why I wanted one that I could use for both cycling and skiing. Which opticians supplies them and were you able to try the frames out before ordering? What does IIRC stands for?