Prescription Sunglasses

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Oldjohnw

Re: Prescription Sunglasses

Post by Oldjohnw »

mercalia wrote:poundlland does some in their reading glasses section. I find the weak ones ( 1.5) perfectly work well. cost £1

Presumably depends on what kind of sight problem you have.
John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Oldjohnw wrote:
mercalia wrote:poundlland does some in their reading glasses section. I find the weak ones ( 1.5) perfectly work well. cost £1

yes if its just due to old age then I find them fine.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mercalia wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

yes if its just due to old age then I find them fine.

I've worn glasses for 63 years. They cost several hundred!
John
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

There is one website Extreme Eyewear who will do RX inserts and also sells Racing Jackets

I've used Extreme Eyewear four times over the years to buy Oakley prescription sunglasses on-line. Each time I had excellent service, even when I messed up my prescription they sorted it with no charge. I've worn Oakley sunglasses for over 25 years, and reckon they are worth the money. 25 years ago Oakley were the only glasses available with wrap-around lenses. And they had excellent blue-blocking lens tints (I like them for high altitudes. Their VR28BIP was a great lens, but now discontinued). Adidas offered inserts but they don't give as big a field of vision, and they tend to mist up more. When I tried inserts I quickly went back to Oakley lenses.

Previously I wore contact lenses, and often found myself wearing sunglasses as well. Even expensive Oakleys were cheaper than contacts, so I was happy to pay for the glasses, and ditch the contacts. Now I wear varifocals and am still very happy with Oakley lenses. The price and lens quality compares well with Zeiss or Essilor. And the range of lens tints is far better than anyone else. Varifocal lenses are tricky to get right. There seems to be a big difference between cheaper lenses and expensive lenses, especially in the middle-distance portion of the lens, and the outside edges where it can get a bit blurry. Wrap-arounds seem even trickier.

A quick look at Optilabs. Their Spark frame, with varifocal lenses, coated, extra thin is a bit cheaper at £244. Although there are only 3 lens colours to choose from. Compared with, say, Oakley Flak varifocal for £363 (coatings & thin lenses are standard). Extreme Eyewear offer their own lenses into Oakley frames, which makes things a bit cheaper, if you just want an Oakley frame and don't care too much about the lenses. I've never tried them.

Optilabs don't give as much information about their lens types : transmission rates, colour distortion, tints, etc.. 25 years ago Oakley were the only choice, and I've just stuck with that. It will be interesting to see if Optilabs are a decent alternative.

Anyway. Thumbs up from me for Oakley and for Extreme-Eyewear.

Regarding the pupil distance. Some opticians will measure it during my prescription check up, and some don't. That's a bit annoying when I am paying for the service. But now that I've done it myself a few times it is easy enough. The on-line services send me the actual frame or a cardboard frame, and I take a photograph for their optician to measure. That works well. With varifocals you don't just need the pupil distance, but the distance from the centre line to each pupil. Mine are not quite even.

Now I just need to find an anti-mist that : a) works, b) doesn't trash the lens coating, and c) isn't harmful to your eyes. Anyone find anything that works in freezing or wet conditions?