Bike Storage over winter

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
usea

Bike Storage over winter

Postby usea » 28 Jan 2020, 11:33pm

We are two Australians traveling through Europe and UK this summer for 6 months. I need advise on a place to store two electric bikes over winter so I can pick them up next summer. We are leaving UK out of London but this need not be the storage point. Any ideas what facility's might be available or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

reapusmaximus

Re: Bike Storage over winter

Postby reapusmaximus » 29 Jan 2020, 12:40pm

depends on your budget - but there are plenty of storage companies all over the place, with facilities ranging from full garage size to small shoe-locker. You can probably get a decent 6 month deal on a small larder sized store-room which should be sufficient to hold your bikes and any other random traveling gear you don't want to take on the plane. Bonus is they are insured and can be accessed whenever you want. Alternatively just make some friends along the way that have spare room in a garage in exchange for a few bottles of Jacob's Creek on your return?

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 29 Jan 2020, 12:51pm

The only problem I see is the batteries need to be kept charged at say 50% for best life - or will you take them home with you at the time?

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 29 Jan 2020, 2:21pm

Without knowing what research you have already done, it is difficult to advise without the risk of telling you what you already know.

As said, there are plenty of storage companies. I looked at Big Yellow and started to get a quote until it asked for personal details and I gave up. They do very small spaces eg 10 sq feet, 15, etc (yes feet I'm afraid). They have places all over the country so you could find somewhere that suited your out or return. I don't know if they require boxing, but locking them together and a simple plastic sheet would do the job. Not sure if they would want to move them at all, this could be a problem.

If you bought them in the UK, you could approach the shop and see if they can help. Maybe a having full service before you depart might sweeten the deal.

Unfortunately bike theft from garages and sheds, etc is fairly common in some areas, so you may want to be careful where you leave them.

If leaving 'as bikes' I would recommend removing the pedals to stop anyone riding them.

Unless things have changed, you can't take big batteries on a plane.

hemo

Postby hemo » 29 Jan 2020, 5:21pm

Biggest concern is leaving batteries unchecked for six months.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 29 Jan 2020, 7:01pm

Easiest thing to do, is sell them.
When you come back here, you buy another pair.

Sorry.
It's not what you want to hear. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall

GingerMagic

Postby GingerMagic » 29 Jan 2020, 7:11pm

Can you rent the bikes out to friends or family members?

This way they are being used, batteries are being kept topped up and it may earn yourself some brownie points on your return 8)

Otherwise, look for a Ctec charger - I use one on my spare car - it charges the battery and every now and then let's the battery go down, before recharging it - clever stuff.!!
Currently own a tired old Orange C16 - battered and bruised but a great bike.

tatanab

Postby tatanab » 29 Jan 2020, 7:18pm

GingerMagic wrote:Can you rent the bikes out to friends or family members?

This way they are being used, batteries are being kept topped up and it may earn yourself some brownie points on your return 8)

Otherwise, look for a Ctec charger - I use one on my spare car - it charges the battery and every now and then let's the battery go down, before recharging it - clever stuff.!!
Only for lead acid batteries of some sort or another. See also https://www.optimate.co.uk/

GingerMagic

Postby GingerMagic » 29 Jan 2020, 7:21pm

tatanab wrote:

Only for lead acid batteries of some sort or another. See also https://www.optimate.co.uk/

Sorry, my bad - my inexperienced shining through..!!
Currently own a tired old Orange C16 - battered and bruised but a great bike.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 29 Jan 2020, 8:24pm

You dont want to do that, as lithium batteries can only be charged a limited number of times so you would wearing it out.

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 29 Jan 2020, 9:17pm

Also look at a friendly bike shop that has ample storage space??

Cheers James

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 29 Jan 2020, 10:04pm

Jamesh wrote:Also look at a friendly bike shop that has ample storage space??

Cheers James

and you can be sure they will use the bike as a run about? Happens it seems at air ports facilities where you pay to leave your car.

PJ520

Postby PJ520 » 31 Jan 2020, 6:44pm

Mick F wrote:Easiest thing to do, is sell them.
When you come back here, you buy another pair.

Sorry.
It's not what you want to hear. :oops:
Sell the bikes or the batteries? If you sell the batteries they may not be available in 6 months' time. Stuff changes so fast.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West

usea

Postby usea » 2 Feb 2020, 9:37am

Thanks to all who took the time to reply. I have received a quote from Yellow Box for 6mths 25sq ft $900 Aust its probably at the top of what I would pay but gives me an option, I will do more digging around when I get to the UK. Just out of interest in regard to battery storage the latest batteries if charged to 75 % can be left for 6mths or more,the important factor is to keep them at a fairly stable temperature eg don't let them get too cold,

hemo

Postby hemo » 2 Feb 2020, 10:53am

Cold storage (at/near freezing) is good for lithium as it slows down degeneration, but not good to charge. After Lithium cold storage lithium needs to be at ambient room temps for charging.
Trusting a battery to be left unchecked for six months or is a risk as the trust is being place in a PCB/BMS not malfunctioning, which they do on occasions.