Flat pedals

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
brooksby

Flat pedals

Postby brooksby » 29 Jan 2020, 3:19pm

Stupid question, maybe.

I think my current pedals on my commuter hybrid are shot and I want to replace them. I've never used clipless, so intend to get another pair of flats.

Last time I got my LBS to do it, and they put on sort of metal frames (best way of describing it) - the spindle through the middle, and then a frame with teeth around it.

Looking in shops, I notice other ones (more expensive, typically) which have a much bigger platform and instead of the 'frame' being serrated for grip they have little tiny grub screws protruding all around the edge.

Assuming anyone can interpret my rather iffy descriptions :wink: can anyone suggest on why I'd choose these big-ones-with-grub-screws over the frame ones I've had before? Are they intended for a different kind of riding?

thatsnotmyname

Re: Flat pedals

Postby thatsnotmyname » 29 Jan 2020, 3:24pm

Do you mean a 'bear trap' style of pedal compared to something like the DMR V8? (Google pics of both to confirm). The DMR style is an MTB/downhill type of pedal. Both will work, but the DMR will make a right mess of your shins if you whack them. They both will, to be fair. If you're commuting, they will both do the job..

brooksby

Postby brooksby » 29 Jan 2020, 3:33pm

Yes: that's exactly what I meant :D

It's just for commuting, so if there's no practical difference other than the size of the platform then I think I'll probably stick with what I know...

Thanks!

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 29 Jan 2020, 3:49pm

brooksby wrote:Yes: that's exactly what I meant :D

It's just for commuting, so if there's no practical difference other than the size of the platform then I think I'll probably stick with what I know...

Thanks!

If you only want a pair of flat pedals for the commute.

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... reId=10001

These are good.

And these are a little bit cheaper, and are brilliant in wet weather.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/city-520-hy ... 04128.html

alexnharvey

Postby alexnharvey » 29 Jan 2020, 4:09pm

Following the discussion here about good cheap pedals (e.g. viewtopic.php?t=112591&start=15) I bought a couple of pairs of Wellgo LU-987U which have been highlighted by Brucey.

I have found them to be very good. Out of interest more than necessity I opened them up when they arrived, added more grease and checked the bearing adjustment.

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 30 Jan 2020, 7:49am

+1 for Wellgo LU-987U

MarcusT

Postby MarcusT » 31 Jan 2020, 5:23am

If only for commuting, get low profile pegs (screws). The longer pegs are for BMXing, MTBing.
Many pedals are also adjustable in that sense.
For commuting, flats are good, in that if you are constantly stopping, no clipping is needed. The larger platform also avoids missing the pedal, and on long rides you can re-position your feet if they get uncomfortable
I would also recommend not over spending. Price of 20 or 100 does not change much. I have both
I wish it were simple as riding a bike

AndyA

Postby AndyA » 31 Jan 2020, 9:32pm

I'm of the opinion that the DMR V8 classic is the king of pedals. Great bearings, grease port for easy maintenance, comfy shape